AnOceanPearl

Vancouver Megathread

Not sure who you're directing this to, but the problem has nothing to do with the 'movement'. Those songs on Hospital Music (even though Girl Wedged is more of sound bite composition than a coherent song) the fact remains all three of them are different. The first three tracks on Vancouver are so similar I didn't even know what track I was on while doing something else. Someone else pointed out that he didnt even know if he was on track 1 or 2, and thats the exact feeling I had.

It's perfectly fine having two songs as one composition, but when THREE songs (with all do respect) are pretty similar, it tends to make it longer than it should be and really kills the momentum of the album. I absolutely hate skipping songs on an album, especially when theres nothing wrong with them, but I find it too long and I want to skip through just to get to something different. I've streamed the album to a couple of people and they agreed.

Am I making any sense whats-so-ever? I'm not downing the album by any means, I'm just saying if anything, thats my only beef. Track placement is so important and it can really make or break an album. I'm no producer, I have 0 experience in the music industry, however when more than one person starts to comment.. ehh its gotta have some kind of weight behind it.

Just wanted to clarify what I meant, not trying to start any wars. ;)

No, this is perfectly valid. I'm with you. I am also a little concerned MG confuses song length with importance. Songs can be short and succinct and still pack a punch. I also feel he's resting on his haunches musically. Three stand outs on the record though, so I'll give him that.

No, this is perfectly valid. I'm with you. I am also a little concerned MG confuses song length with importance. Songs can be short and succinct and still pack a punch. I also feel he's resting on his haunches musically. Three stand outs on the record though, so I'll give him that.

I tend to agree. Last Parade is just under 6 minutes. And I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of the song. The chord progression and instrumentation is a snooze fest. Compare it with the complexity of a single like IAWCC or even Alert Status Red and it's night and day really. I'm kind of surprised LP was chosen as a single, let alone the first one.

Edited by Emu

in all fairness, matt even mentioned on his blog before releasing hospital music that he was writing longer songs that had more of a pink floyd influence, like the album "animals"

Those who don't know, originally, there was a panda floating in between chimneys...it was removed because of the similarities with Pink Floyd's animals (floating pig).

Edited by Who

I love how the first three tracks are blended together. In fact, I wish all the tracks were like that -- just one solid track of songs. Kind of like a dance album...

same here, quite a few bands i like blend 2 or 3 songs together but i would love to see a whole album like that. another great example of this is optimistic>in limbo by radiohead

As of the time of this posting, there are more vinyls in the store.

As always, no freaking out.

Also...

Ok, I've been asked this question countless times

Believe me, it does not bug me but it has become more and more noticeable

What's with the vibrato?

What's wrong with vibratto? Matt's voice is exceptional, and his vibratto is part of that.

Is it that it's not "rock" or something?

let's get Bad Pennies on the NF store.

One more thing about the album is that it's just not dark enough. The songs on Vancouver are too similar to a track like Odette from Hospital Music. I could never get into that watered down sound personally. Just too safe for my liking--the album is a little too predictable for my tastes; I agree with ONE other person in this thread! haha

Edited by Shortcut To Moncton

Matt's site is now saying:

Pre-Order Vancouver on CD

Autograph copies remaining: SOLD OUT

Pre-Order Vancouver on Vinyl

Autograph copies remaining: SOLD OUT

So does that mean that any copies of the vinyl brought before the vinyl was first "sold out" will be signed?

This will be a pretty good album I think. Again, I'm not gonna say much because of it being a lowered quality stream and not the full quality of the CD and on my CD player with the sound just right for me but I like what I heard. I'm fine with Empty's Theme Park. The demo has gotten better after a few listens and it sounds really nice on the album. It's a great choice as closer with the strings being big and nice and the overall feel of the song. The Vancouver National Anthem is even better than the demo and I liked that one quite a lot. I'm very happy that some of Matt's bitter sound and anger is still there. That's one of the things I wasn't sure would be translated over right but it was so no worries. I am unsure overall what will be better, the demos or proper album but I have little doubt I will come to really enjoy this recording and it will definitely be a worthy addition. A couple of the demos I think I like better but these are still very satisfying. From what I hear this album is pretty raw and has a more live sound at spots. As someone else said, this would be a good album to end on. Not that I'd want that but it sounds right. Particularly ETP at the end. Obviously I want Matt to continue on for as long as possible but I'm just saying it kind of has that feel.

I can NOT wait to hear the drums in full quality. The stream is so poor, my god. It's going to be like hearing the album for the third time (demos, stream, full quality), helluva different way to experience an album from start to finish, literally. I like it, period. MG is still my shit.

Great Whales of the Sea turned out really great. I didn't really like it at first, when the demo was up, but it has grown on me immensely. It's got a sweet set up in the first half of the song and then lets it loose in the second half.

I think The Boy Who Could Explode is, musically, the worst song on the album. It seens a little un-even, like a great idea that wasn't fully realised.

A Silent Army In the Trees probably has the best lyrics on the album, the last verse is especially great.

It seems like some of the grit is gone from Matt's voice from On Nights Like Tonight, which is kinda sad cause I thought it went well with the song.

Overall I'm enjoying the album very much.

Edited by IamNick

Based on my first few listens, another solid record from Mr. Good. Like many of his albums, and indeed many of my favourite albums by other artists, it took a while to grow on me, but now I think it's great. I don't think there's a single weak track on Vancouver. Standouts for me at the moment are On Nights Like Tonight, The Vancouver National Anthem and Empty's Theme Park. I might have a different top three after my next listen. Last Parade is a vast improvement over the demo version (when it was called Portrait Of An Artist In The Jungle). I like the beats in Fought To Fight It, and the woman saying, "Ah, it's like a breath of fresh air". I agree.

Hey are the lyrics for Silent Army in the Trees on the website from Matt? or transcribed from someone else? The first line of the last verse says "A muted whale out in the streets", but I thought it was "A muted wail out in the streets"?

Also I can't wait to get my hands on an actual copy of this album, one of my favourite parts of getting a new record from Matt is going through the booklet and reading the lyrics while listening to the music.

Edited by IamNick

Technically you can't tell the difference. "Whale" and "Wail" are homophones, and hence cannot be distinguished from a purely audio perspective. I would however agree with you that in context "Wail" is a more appropriate word.

Almost all lyrics of un-release material (that doesn't have an official lyrics sheet) is transcribed by the populous of this forum.