AnOceanPearl

Vancouver Megathread

I hate that I can't listen to the new album for at least a month on my daily subway rides ;) I found myself singing/humming parts of Empty's Theme Park in the middle of work the other day.

I guess it's not that bad. I've been listening to lots of RUSH to compensate.

The chorus of Silent Army In the Trees is vocally the same as the chorus of A Long Way Down. And the ending of the chorus for Last Parade (ain't good to be back HOOOooo oh ome) are the same notes, sung down a step, as the ending of Sort of a Protest Song (HEEeeeeey ey eey...). So what? So what. I can't help make the comparison every time I listen through, and it's not a detraction whatsoever.

I've only been over the Canadian border once. It was a lot easier getting back into American than it was getting into Canada O_o

On that trip I was in the Eaton Center in Toronto and I was in a store and saw Matthew Good albums, which I am not used to seeing in music stores! I really regret not buying the Canadian release of Beautiful Midnight while I was there. I've always had the U.S. release. And I mean...it was only 10 bucks!!! Fuck.

Listening to the Vancouver stream again ;)

I've only been over the Canadian border once. It was a lot easier getting back into American than it was getting into Canada O_o

On that trip I was in the Eaton Center in Toronto and I was in a store and saw Matthew Good albums, which I am not used to seeing in music stores! I really regret not buying the Canadian release of Beautiful Midnight while I was there. I've always had the U.S. release. And I mean...it was only 10 bucks!!! Fuck.

Listening to the Vancouver stream again ;)

What's wrong with you man? That version is the only way to listen to it. Have you even heard the real Beautiful Midnight? I'm assuming you have but why in the world would you keep the US version? Once you've heard the original there's just no other option. Those are some essential tracks you'd be missing out on.

Well back then when I bought the U.S. release I really didn't know the difference. In time I figured out what was going on and in my computer playlists I've made the appropriate changes with the way the album is supposed to be. The only thing I'm missing out on is playing the actual CD, which I can't say I do too often anyway.

But anyway...

Oh I see.

Yeah, not only would you be missing a couple great songs, but it would also affect the flow of the album and you'd have some songs you already had on another album. Just a stupid move by the label or whoever to tamper with such a great album and ruin how it was meant to be heard. I don't know why they did such a dumb thing. It would still be an excellent album probably but not the same.

Vancouver National Anthem/Empty's Theme Park is fucking incredible. The whole thing is actually great, really up on the beginning and end right now. The first two and last two songs have a very consistent feel, this will be a repeat player for sure.

I hope a lot of you (naysayers) have chilled out at this point and at least considered considering and accepting the fact that this is another album, period. You know if you're a MG fan you will eventually enjoy and probably have your mind blown at some point by the majority of his material. Right now I'm excited as hell to see which songs will be incorporated into the live sets, and how.

This would is unsurprising if you are an American. In the same way it is more difficult for me to return to California where I work than it is to go to Canada (As I am an Canadian). But that's a bitch since I work here... I basically carry a hunk of dead tree with me that proves I have the appropriate authorizations to cross the border...

Anyway, that's way off topic. I'll stop talking now.

I am a Canadian living in Fargo, North Dakota, I try not to go over the border, is a hassle, you get the ASSHOLE border patrol who request you go to the special area, go through all your shit, "why are you bringing the resumes?" try to small talk with them, it's like walking a dental floss tight rope over a a jungle of razor blades.