AnOceanPearl

Vancouver Megathread

I happen to have a bootleg of the acoustic show he did at Massey Hall, and can confirm the preorder tracks are from the same show. MUCH better quality than the version I have, it would be absolutely incredible if we could get the whole show released eventually.

just pre-ordered but i don't know how to get these acoustic songs... they're not in my itunes library. by the way, this will be my third purchased copy of vancouver. i'm sure it will be the same for many of you as well.

the stream sounds great by the way.

just pre-ordered but i don't know how to get these acoustic songs... they're not in my itunes library. by the way, this will be my third purchased copy of vancouver. i'm sure it will be the same for many of you as well.

the stream sounds great by the way.

You will get all the songs the day the album comes out. I assume it will download automatically at 12am that morning, or the first time that you open iTunes after that. You don't get the bonus songs right away, they come with the album when you get it.

Ah yeaah JAPANDROIDS!!!!!!!!!

fuck yeah, I've seen them twice, last time in Guelph a few days ago, talked to them before and after the show, bought them some shots, got a McClusky song dedicated to me, and a fucking beat up drum stick with electrical tape on it.

After listening a few dozen times, I think I'm ready to form my opinion on the album. It's really good.

It does have one song I'm not too fond of (Us Remains Impossible), but otherwise reminds me very much of Avalanche. The only thing I think that could make it better is perhaps another up-tempo, shorter song to compliment Great Whales of the Sea.

By the way, Great Whales of the Sea is my favourite on the album. Kind of reminds me of A Single Explosion (same kind of song structure, I guess, soft then loud).

Otherwise:

Last Parade - A great opener. Maybe not as epic as Man of Action, but I think far more catchy. I really enjoy it. 9/10

The Boy Who Could Explode - A solid song. Not much to comment on. 8/10

Great Whales of the Sea - I really love this song. 9.5/10

Us Remains Impossible - This is an ok song, but I don't think it holds up to the rest of the record. The chorus doesn't seem to match the rest of it (just my opinion!). 6/10

On Nights Like Tonight - Very Avalanche-y. That's both good and bad. Good because it sounds good, bad because it kind of repeats the past. 7/10

Volcanoes - Sometimes I can't get enough of this song, sometimes I want to skip it. But overall I like it. I think maybe the demo vs studio changes spoiled me. ;) 7/10

A Silent Army In The Trees - An interesting song. Reminds me of Black Helicopters. Lyrically, I think it's probably the best on the record. 8/10

Fought To Fight It - It differs from the rest of the album, I think. It's good though. 8/10

The Vancouver National Anthem - Very cool song. I love the way he yells "stick to it" twice in the song. Another very Avalanche-like song. 8/10

Emtpy's Theme Park - Instead of an epic opener, an epic closer? I think maybe the best closing song he's ever put out. Fantastic in every way. It took me a while to get used to it compared to the demo version, but I did and I am glad! 9.5/10

So I guess that averages to 8/10. Overall though I think I'd give it an 8.5 or 9..

Thanks for the link, and yeah I really enjoyed that interview, especially the last story about his interview with 17-magazine ahaha.

Yeah, that was fucking hilarious. I have to echo what Alan Cross said in the interview, it would have been priceless to have been there for some of those meetings or interviews promoting BM in the States. I liked Matt's analogy between the music industry and the oil industry.

What have you guys heard on the Vancouver stream in terms of unreleased stuff, demos, bsides, etc? I just tuned in and it's playing the Life In Spite of Itself demo

It's not exactly lyric heavy, that said most of the lyrics are hard to make out, the choirs consits of:

I'll wash dirt off your skin

I'll be your lone gunmen

That's all I could make out. Toronto (Mod Club) concert is playing now: Life Beyond The Minimum Safe Distance/Load Me Up