AnOceanPearl

Vancouver Megathread

damn, I really want to hear this stuff, but everytime I have time to turn on the stream it's just playing the album (not that it isn't amazing in itself).

holy shit, this mod club live setlist totally took a crazy turn when he decided to just play The Future is X-Rated acoustic after someone yelled it.

amazing

Was it this?

I thought it was worth mentioning that, working at Future Shop, in our weekly flyer, there is a pic of Matt and a thing that says that Vancouver comes out this Tuesday. Normally, they only do that for bands like Pearl Jam or some of the bigger musical acts, I was surprised to see the picture of Matt.

I thought it was worth mentioning that, working at Future Shop, in our weekly flyer, there is a pic of Matt and a thing that says that Vancouver comes out this Tuesday. Normally, they only do that for bands like Pearl Jam or some of the bigger musical acts, I was surprised to see the picture of Matt.

I had a similar feeling of suprise today when I was watching the Canucks game and there was an ad for some CD store (maybe HMV or CD Plus), or it could have been Future Shop, I forget. Anyway the whole point of it was promoting that Vancouver is coming out on Tuesday. It was playing Last Parade overtop of parts of the Weapon video lol. I think Matt is still more popular than it would appear.

I remember the same happening a few years back for Hospital Music, too.

I think the fact that Hospital Music unexpectedly debuted at #1 on the Canadian albums charts with no music video or anything might have made some people rethink what they thought about Matt Good's popularity and are now promoting Vancouver more as a result.

Us Remains Impossible would be a good single, but just because it was mentioned in an ad doesn't necessarily mean it is the next single. Sorta like how on some albums they have a sticker that says "includes..." and they list a bunch of songs on it, but not all of them are singles. Still, it could be, as it's one of the more radio friendly tracks.

So I'm on about my 6th listen to the stream of "Vancouver" & I gotta say, it's fucking brilliant....and it's growing on me each listen.

Matt's just a genius. It's that simple.

Long gone are the raunchy rock tunes of the MGB era (which is a shame cause that shit kicked major ass), but in it's place are this gorgeous soundscapes he's creating now - melodic, anthem-esque, poignant and gently aggressive sonic masterpieces.

He's so damn talented & so freakin' diverse.

As a musician myself who plays & writes in a style not dis-similar to Matt I strive to emulate the essence of what he does - sonically flowing & lyrically profound. He just has that rare ability to reach inside of you & grab hold of that place within you that music is supposed to touch. He emotes like very, very few can.

Vancouver, for me, does follow in the footsteps of Avalanche & Hospital Music - it's easy to tell this is the same artist, but there's something fresh about this record.

Personal favs for me include 'Fought To Fight It', 'The Boy Who Could Explode', 'On Nights Like Tonight', 'Us Remains Impossible' & 'Volcanoes'.

Now, if only he'll come to Austin!!!!

You guys in Canada don't know how lucky you are - in so many ways!

Edited by Ozzwald

I still want Empty's Theme Park (unedited) as a single.

;)

It would be ridiculously awesome to hear Empty's Theme Park on the radio, all nine minutes and twenty or so seconds of it. It would have a snowball's chance in hell of happening, as evidenced by the fact that singles that are around five and a half to six minutes long (Weapon, IAWCC, Last Parade) are all heavily edited for time.

Is it just me, or is the album not available for pre-order in iTunes US? Has this been addressed somewhere that I am missing? I'd really love to have the bonus tracks, and its the last day before its out!

The pre-order is Canada only. Not sure yet if the US version will have any of the bonus tracks. Since it's being distributed by Cobraside outside of Canada (not by Universal), I'm assuming it'll just be the album.