AnOceanPearl

Vancouver Megathread

I haven't listened to any of the podcasts. I'm waiting for the CD to come out to listen to the album for the 1st time old-school style!

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I applaud your fortitude! I type this while listening to the stream ;) .

I'm buying the 2 bonus tracks right now, but would anybody care to PM me the 99% Of Us is Failure preorder track? Or maybe we can have it up in the NF store?

two bad us in the US don't get the pre order tracks but I do recall when Matthew Good wasn't even on the US store, I am glad to just to have this album on my iPhone and in the mail.

Anybody know when they are updating the front page of the US s tore, for some reason I think Steve Jobs is secretly a Matthew Good after the last two releases.

BTW - if the iTunes version sounds a bit crappy to any of you, it's because Apple screwed up the playback codec in iTunes 9. The files are fine. (Long story short, iTunes 9 incorrectly guesses which type of file it's playing when it plays back AAC files.) People are assuming/hoping that they'll get it fixed in a future update.

In other words, if you haven't downloaded iTunes 9 yet, don't do it - stick with iTunes 8.

I have to admit, I'm glad I downloaded the preorder. I'd forgotten how much I dug that solo acoustic version of 99%. (Now, if he'll only consider releasing the last encore of that show - especially "Fated".)

For any Americans wanting the two bonus tracks - see if you can track down (or get someone to buy you) a Canadian iTunes gift card. If you set up an account with a legit Canadian address (post offices work), it'll work - Apple doesn't (currently) check IP addresses or anything.

I'm buying the 2 bonus tracks right now, but would anybody care to PM me the 99% Of Us is Failure preorder track? Or maybe we can have it up in the NF store?

Yeah, that's gonna happen.

Edited by uglyredhonda

Just bought the two bonus tracks... They are awesome, I love Black Helicopter. It would be awesome if he could somehow make the whole show available.

I'll be heading to HMV tommorow afternoon to pick up my copy, I hope they aren't out by the time I get there...

For anyone buying the album on iTunes, it seems like the last parade has 2 seconds of silence tagged on the end of this, ruining the gapless segue into boy who could explode. i was originally disappointed with this (an awful feature of the itunes media, or maybe just bad encoding?) however right clicking the file and changing the "stop time" under options to 5:54.741 fixes this beyond my ability to detect it.

Edited by bryce

I apologize if this has been answered already, but after noticing that MapleMusic accepts PayPal I set up an account but wasn't able to confirm my bank account until the 2nd stock of vinyl's had sold out. Could there still be a possibility of a 3rd stock or am I completely out of luck? :S

BTW - if the iTunes version sounds a bit crappy to any of you, it's because Apple screwed up the playback codec in iTunes 9. The files are fine. (Long story short, iTunes 9 incorrectly guesses which type of file it's playing when it plays back AAC files.) People are assuming/hoping that they'll get it fixed in a future update.

In other words, if you haven't downloaded iTunes 9 yet, don't do it - stick with iTunes 8.

Any workarounds? It seems to have problems on my iPhone and that is what I downloaded it from when I did.

Well, it is at 191 on the iTunes charts in the US right now. I think as more people wake up, it will do pretty well here down here considering lack of promotion. I think a lot of it has to do with Matt's ability to not make himself seem so much like some god of rock or something. That will carry you far when it comes to getting people whom may have seen you at a concert but hadn't really heard of you before or whom stumbled upon your music somehow.

I have to admit, I'm glad I downloaded the preorder. I'd forgotten how much I dug that solo acoustic version of 99%. (Now, if he'll only consider releasing the last encore of that show - especially "Fated".)

For any Americans wanting the two bonus tracks - see if you can track down (or get someone to buy you) a Canadian iTunes gift card. If you set up an account with a legit Canadian address (post offices work), it'll work - Apple doesn't (currently) check IP addresses or anything.

Also, "Vancouver National Anthem" and "Empty's Theme Park" have a horrendous skipping sound playing throughout...like when you try to play a heavily scratched CD...guhh contacted Apple about it

Any workarounds? It seems to have problems on my iPhone and that is what I downloaded it from when I did.

Sounds like we've got a couple of issues with the iTunes files, so here's the one-at-a-time:

1) If the songs sound mushy, that's the iTunes 9 bug. The only workaround I'm aware of is to change the file extensions from .m4a to .mp4. (I know that works in Windows, not sure about Mac, I assume not on iPhone.)

2) If the files are skipping, that's just bad encoding. It's not necessarily iTunes' fault - it's possible (likely) that they were delivered that way.

(For those with skipping - are all of you downloading from the US store? I didn't notice skips in the files I got from the Canadian store.)

Dale's got good instructions on what to do:

http://www.matthewgood.org/2009/10/itunes-...sues-vancouver/

I've had this happen before, and they just credited my account with free songs. (They gave me three free songs for one bad one, but I don't know what they'll do if it's two or three on the same album.) The sad part is that I've never had them redeliver a "fixed" download - in fact, most of the faulty songs I've downloaded in the past are still on iTunes with skips in them. Hopefully, if Matt's aware of the problem, Apple (and/or Cobraside) will be more proactive about fixing the files.

Edited by uglyredhonda

Also, "Vancouver National Anthem" and "Empty's Theme Park" have a horrendous skipping sound playing throughout...like when you try to play a heavily scratched CD...guhh contacted Apple about it

That is the problem I have....I am glad I also ordered the CD version. I thought maybe it was the whole CD but I guess once I heard it on those two tracks, it just stuck to me.