AnOceanPearl

Vancouver Megathread

I did notice when previewing Empty's Theme Park I heard skipping as well. Due to that issue, and other issues people have had on here, I did my tradition of going across the border, and buying the CD.

This may sound like a silly question, but should I expect problems with the CD if I just rip to iTunes outright?

I've got a problem in that my macbook cd-drive is broken to shit, so I can't read cd's. I also ordered 2 copies of the vinyl, but my record player is an hour away.. Which leaves me the option of downloading that piece of shit torrent that is stream quality, or shelling out more money and getting it off itunes. Shit.

I got an email a couple hours ago saying my order has been shipped, so it really all depends on what shipping method you chose.

Yeah it says my order was processed...I chose the cheapest shipping option considering that still came out to $23 US. I should have said "Wonder how long it'll take to get here" rather than how long it'll take to get shipped.

Still clearly I have to wait ;)

Wow I'm having a real hard time importing the cd to my computer without the last two songs having a static noise through them. Anyone else have this issue ?? I have the physical cd and am importing through itunes. I do it all the time with no problems.. what gives with this disc ??

*Edit

Now that I am trying to play the actual cd it skips really bad with static noise at the end of Empty's Theme Park while playing the disc.. wtf ?? anyone else with a defective disc ?

*Edit #2

Ok I was using my NEW pc to do this but I thought I would give my macbook a try at ripping it and lo and behold it ripped those two songs perfectly. *shrugs* that's technology for you.

Edited by Longroad

Wow I'm having a real hard time importing the cd to my computer without the last two songs having a static noise through them. Anyone else have this issue ?? I have the physical cd and am importing through itunes. I do it all the time with no problems.. what gives with this disc ??

*Edit

Now that I am trying to play the actual cd it skips really bad with static noise at the end of Empty's Theme Park while playing the disc.. wtf ?? anyone else with a defective disc ?

I did not have this issue.

bought it off itunes, heard the skipping. so i wanted to see if it was simply itunes or the file.

spectrot.png

as you can see in figure A above, there are big ol' lines snapping up through the spectrogram. cd skips!

makes me wonder how music is delivered to itunes. if someone just presses it to a CD and there's a guy sitting in the corner of some gigantic building ripping CD after CD, pleading with Death to come.

Just finished my 3rd listen of Vancouver, and I must say, I'm REALLY enjoying the album - My favorite track right now is 'Vancouver National Anthem' - I love the little guitar arpeggio theme and the whole mood of the song! Anyhow, I bought a physical CD, and noticed a huge '64' silk screened onto the CD - Anyone know the importance of that number with relation to the album and it's themes?

L.

Glad I waited to buy it before listening to it. I'm enjoying this a lot more than Hospital Music. Not to say Hospital Music is no good, I enjoy a lot of the songs on it, but this album just seems like something that I can listen to on many occasions without getting incredibly depressed >.<

Something to note, it might just be me, but his voice seems notably "lamb"-ier on this album than in previous, if that makes sense. As in, he does that thing with his voice that makes him kind of sound like a lamb. It doesn't bother me per se, I just always notice it.

Lyrically, I'm finding this album a little more engaging than the last.

Good stuff. Very much digging "The Boy Who Could Explode".

Overall a great album,

my only beefs are:

-Us remains impossible should be about 1:30 shorter.

-Fought to fight it doesn't do much for me.. yet EDIT: I change my mind, it's a solid song.

-The drums sound more processed than a drum machine and lack creativity and energy. Maybe this was Matt's intention?

Edited by Computer

Overall a great album,

my only beefs are:

-Us remains impossible should be about 1:30 shorter.

-Fought to fight it doesn't do much for me.. yet EDIT: I change my mind, it's a solid song.

-The drums sound more processed than a drum machine and lack creativity and energy. Maybe this was Matt's intention?

Matt did mention at some point going for a "tighter" drum sound on the record, so that could be it.

makes me wonder how music is delivered to itunes. if someone just presses it to a CD and there's a guy sitting in the corner of some gigantic building ripping CD after CD, pleading with Death to come.

I'm pretty sure this is how many albums (especially older ones) are delivered to iTunes. I think they're ripped from CDs and sent in a lossless format to Apple, who then creates the AAC's.

It'd be nice if they could always go back to the files that used to manufacture the original CDs, but I can't imagine that those files would still exist - if they ever did - for albums that were released more than 15 years ago.

In particular, I think Cobraside is just taking the albums they're sent via CD and ripping them. Compare the versions of Vancouver between iTunes Canada and iTunes US. The iTunes Canada version is from Universal - the artwork is clean, and the song files sound perfect. The version that's on iTunes US is from Cobraside - the artwork looks a little fuzzy (the color's off) and some of the song files have skips in them.

I'm not sure how Matt's deal with Cobraside is set up (I'm assuming Universal isn't involved), but it'd be great if the albums could be delivered to Apple using the lossless files that Universal sent rather than having Cobraside create them themselves. Anytime you burn/press to audio CD and re-rip, you're likely to introduce errors.