AnOceanPearl

Vancouver Megathread

Or write more interesting drum parts. I'm assuming it's intentional as the demos have the same sound and what not. There is little difference on Last Parade, whether you're listening to the demo or the song itself.

i think 'intention' in this instance was meant to refer to whether or not matt wrote boring drum parts intentionally... meaning he knew they were boring, as opposed to him thinking that they were perfectly good beats, and intended on keeping with the same drum patterns as the demos.

On Last Parade, he should of left the second piano line in. Instead he has guitar and the sound just isn't as good. It could just be the guitar effect he is using, but I didn't like it. And the kick drum didn't seem as profound in the album version. The Boy Who Could Explode is still fantastic and the album version of the Vancouver Nation Anthem is way better than the demo. All in all I like the album, but I still prefer Hospital Music.

If you listen with headphones/good stereo system, the piano line comes back in at some point.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

My copy that I got from Walmart was actually around 12.99 and I only realized yesterday, a few days after I got it, because my total was 17 some odd dollars and it said 14 something on the package so I thought with tax that made sense but looked at my receipt and recalled I also bought some candy and that now wouldn't make sense. So it was about $13 before tax and I thought that was really cool. Got a newly released CD even cheaper than sticker price somehow. Cheaper than I got Hospital Music for and that was already cheaper than most new albums I've bought in the past were. Hahaha, I'm sure you all care too so I'll end this.

Yes, but once again it didn't say that price anywhere. I'm just saying. Obviously it's some kind of a sale. Don't make something out of nothing.

Anyways, does anyone know where the Lone Gunman demo is from or when it was written? A b-side we just didn't hear from Vancouver? And for those who have heard it, what do you think of it? I think it's got a cool vibe and kind of like it.

Edited by Manchalivin

Love the album. My favourite tracks are A Silent Army In the Trees and Empty's Theme Park. Least favourite is Great Whales of the Sea. And like most complaints the drumming sucks. Oh well, life goes on. Still an awesome album and I think Empty's Theme Park is one of the best songs he has written.

Love the album. My favourite tracks are A Silent Army In the Trees and Empty's Theme Park. Least favourite is Great Whales of the Sea. And like most complaints the drumming sucks. Oh well, life goes on. Still an awesome album and I think Empty's Theme Park is one of the best songs he has written.

Great Whales of The Sea and Empty's theme Park are my two favourites. I don't see how you can dislike Great Whales of the Sea though, the tune is great, I especially like the asymmetry of the song. The lyrics are fantastic too! "If failure's number one/ Then surely he's a second son/ It's all in how you disappear me/ Great whales of the sea" I love those lines! I think the drumming on Empty's Theme Park is really good too.

I'm really digging Lone Gunman as well. I've been dragging and dropping it into winamp blindly to see how it messes up Vancouver's flow!

Empty's theme park is perfect ending. What an epic song. I didn't even realize I was home, sitting in a silent car just taking it all after it finished.

I love the album, but it feels like there's something missing when I play it on my stereo. The drums and mid-bass just don't have any "oomph", even with a ton of EQing. I thought there was something wrong with my system, so I popped in Avalanche, and listened to the first minute or so of Pledge of Allegiance. Nope, nothing wrong with the stereo.

It almost seems like this album was mixed for headphones, 'cuz it sounds great on my Bose cans, but I just can't even listen to it on my system at home, which is a bit of a bummer. Anyone else notice this?

I'm really digging Lone Gunman as well. I've been dragging and dropping it into winamp blindly to see how it messes up Vancouver's flow!

Empty's theme park is perfect ending. What an epic song. I didn't even realize I was home, sitting in a silent car just taking it all after it finished.

Yeah, that's a song I think definitely would mess up the flow of the album. It doesn't sound like it would fit at all.

I love the album, but it feels like there's something missing when I play it on my stereo. The drums and mid-bass just don't have any "oomph", even with a ton of EQing. I thought there was something wrong with my system, so I popped in Avalanche, and listened to the first minute or so of Pledge of Allegiance. Nope, nothing wrong with the stereo.

It almost seems like this album was mixed for headphones, 'cuz it sounds great on my Bose cans, but I just can't even listen to it on my system at home, which is a bit of a bummer. Anyone else notice this?

Hmmm, that's strange. I don't know why or how that would be. I haven't tried it on my stereo but it does sound fine on headphones.

Hah I've done the same thing twice, once with a friend. It blew her mind.