AnOceanPearl

Vancouver Megathread

I obviously love those parts (how could a MG fan not?) but I am content with that not being so much a part of this album. It's something different for him and it's nice to have something different for an album. We already have albums of that and I'm sure we'll get more in the future. I like the happier sound of this record and there still are those really strong vocals, just not quite the same.

Empty's is probably the one song where I think the percussion is just right. Not that I find it detracts from the album elsewhere really.

I'm more interested in seeing how alot of this stuff will translate live.

That's been my attitude completely. I have such a great seat for the Massey Hall show, How do I wait till Dec 18?! I hope his health carries him that far...

When Vancouver was first available to stream, I gave the album a hard time and was extra critical for whatever reason. I decided to take a long break. Fast forward to today and I saw a concert ad for Massey Hall in the paper and thought to myself: "I've been a dedicated fan for ages, the least I can do is give the album another listen". So I downloaded it, gave it a listen and realized that it's a pretty damn great album. It's very classic Matthew Good--I don't know what I was even wanting at first. It's sounds like his best album (Avalanche) so what more can you even want? It's waaay better than White Light or Hospital Music--I even like it more than the first three MGB albums. I'm going to go off and buy the album and then order tickets to see one of his shows at Massey Hall.

thanks matt for staying true to the music.

*by the way, how does Last Parade sound on the radio? Was it butchered like how Near Fantastica and Catastrophe were? I can't really see this song being played on an awful station like The Edge.

Edited by Shortcut To Moncton

A direct apology would be an email... this is an indirect apology. Just saying.

A direct apology would be an email... this is an indirect apology. Just saying.

Well I know Matthew Good posts here so he would have directly read this post with every intention of gathering peoples' opinions here. Though creating a new thread does make it more of an indirect encounter...(if I posted this in the Vancouver thread, that would have been a direct encounter as he would have been searching for a post like this). My bad.

*one more thing--wow, Volcanoes has to be one of Matt's best songs. That track is fucking killer.

Edited by Shortcut To Moncton

If you want, I can give you directions so that you can completely cling to his nuts.

Seriously, even if you still didn't like the album, Matt would not give a shit. This thread is pointless, you could have posted in the megathread about your change of heart.

When Vancouver was first available to stream, I gave the album a hard time and was extra critical for whatever reason. I decided to take a long break. Fast forward to today and I saw a concert ad for Massey Hall in the paper and thought to myself: "I've been a dedicated fan for ages, the least I can do is give the album another listen". So I downloaded it, gave it a listen and realized that it's a pretty damn great album. It's very classic Matthew Good--I don't know what I was even wanting at first. It's sounds like his best album (Avalanche) so what more can you even want? It's waaay better than White Light or Hospital Music--I even like it more than the first three MGB albums. I'm going to go off and buy the album and then order tickets to see one of his shows at Massey Hall.

thanks matt for staying true to the music.

*by the way, how does Last Parade sound on the radio? Was it butchered like how Near Fantastica and Catastrophe were? I can't really see this song being played on an awful station like The Edge.

I would say that it has been butchered. It sounds odd and cut and pasted to me.

Clearly the album version is superior. But is the radio version still catchy? Yes. And to a first-time listener, or a casual fan, I think it may be enough to get them interested. I do think he should release Fought to Fight It as the second single. It would help to draw in more casual fans, since I think it's the closest to his MGB work.

EDIT - And then VNA as the third single. Cut it a bit...but keep it at 5 min at least. Don't be afraid of a long song! Look at Sultans of Swing!

Edited by RileyLewis

I would say that it has been butchered. It sounds odd and cut and pasted to me.

I actually just heard it on the radio yesterday, and it does sound odd, but this is from the point of view of someone who's heard the original numerous times. For any potential new fan, it probably sounds fine.

I do think he should release Fought to Fight It as the second single. It would help to draw in more casual fans, since I think it's the closest to his MGB work.

EDIT - And then VNA as the third single. Cut it a bit...but keep it at 5 min at least.

Agreed.

If you want, I can give you directions so that you can completely cling to his nuts.

I lol'd.

As for "wow" vocals, IMHO the first three tracks have that, and Volcanoes. Maybe nothing that quite hits the heights of While We Were Hunting Rabbits, etc., but I think that this album as a whole is his most consistent work to date. This album does not have a single song that I don't think is great, not a single song that feels out of place.

I actually just heard it on the radio yesterday, and it does sound odd, but this is from the point of view of someone who's heard the original numerous times. For any potential new fan, it probably sounds fine.

Yeah, you're probably right and that's the point of the single anyway.

I know at least one person mentioned how Matt needs to get a bass player for his recordings, but I disagree. Some of the stuff he does, while technically simple, is actually very interesting in terms of structure and melodic qualities. For example, in Last Parade, while the bass sounds very odd on it's own, in the context of the song, provides a great counter melody to the piano, which really helps to drive the song.

Ok, does anyone have any guitar tabs for Vancouver? I really want to play some of these songs but I'm not skilled enough to do it myself!

I just tabbed out On Nights Like Tonight..

You can find it here.

Might do some more if I have time..let me know which ones you want first.

Edited by johnerwin