borntohula

Punk Memorabilia On Sale

On November 24, fine art auction house Christie's will host an auction of punk, rock, soul, and reggae memorabilia called "Pop Culture: Punk/Rock" at its 20 Rockefeller Plaza location in New York City [via Idolator]. Well-to-do aging punk rockers: Here's your chance to relive the glory days!

Over 300 items will be up for sale, with estimated prices ranging from a couple hundred dollars to multiple thousands. Artists represented in the auction include David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, the Velvet Underground, Patti Smith, Richard Hell, the Ramones, Television, Blondie, Sex Pistols, the Clash, Buzzcocks, the Germs, Black Flag, Fear, Raymond Pettibon, the Dead Boys, the Damned, the Misfits, Devo, New Order, the Cure, the Smiths, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Nirvana, Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix, Beastie Boys, the Beatles, James Brown, Prince, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, the Who, the Grateful Dead, Andy Warhol, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Bruce Springsteen, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Daniel Johnston, and photographer Mick Rock. Dizzying, we know.

A few highlights from the auction include the portable organ John Lennon played on "The Ed Sullivan Show" and at Shea Stadium in 1965, a bass guitar Kurt Cobain used to record demos in the early 1980s, an original flyer advertising a Sex Pistols/Clash/Buzzcocks gig in 1976, and the original artwork from the Beastie Boys' Licensed to Ill.

this leads me to the obvious question.... if you could have anything rock memorabilia that you wanted, what would it be?

i want the apple from the cover of the mother love bone album.

Okay, now that's just cool. I'm always shocked by how few people know who the hell Mother Love Bone was. I put Stardog Champion on the warmup disc for my team, and almost half of them wanted to know who it was.

Okay, now that's just cool. I'm always shocked by how few people know who the hell Mother Love Bone was. I put Stardog Champion on the warmup disc for my team, and almost half of them wanted to know who it was.

well i think a lot of people have heard of them, but their experience with the band doesn't go much beyond that.

ahhhh. mother love bone was the first band that ever touched my soft warm places. andy wood was brilliant, an absolute fucking genius. i honestly cannot imagine the things those guys could have been capable of if he were still around. it would have been really interesting to see how they evolved.

ah well.

i know a little about them and have heard songs from the sub pop samplers and "grunge" comps (like the hype! OST), but dont' know much of their history...

from what i've heard, their first album got lots of attention and they were going to be "the next big thing"... is that an exaggeration? to me they seemed like they were relatively unknown prior to the grunge explosion.

i wonder this just because of what you said mrs jesus... what would their output have been like had wood not died??? but i also wonder if they would've "made it" to the level that other grunge bands did.

what i'm trying to get at here is, would they have really had other releases? do you think they could have been grouped-in with those other bands from seattle, or would they have been left in the dust like many other pre-grunge-explosion seattle bands like the melvins, mudhoney and tad? and by "making it" i mean basically reaching a level of popularity that would afford them the time and money for another release.

MLB seem to be too closely aligned musically to things like cock-rock to be considered grunge, and if that's something we can agree on, then you'd have to question whether or not they would've lasted much longer. then again, the examples of bands that i gave as being "left in the dust" are all bands that have withstood the test of time and all of whom outlived the grunge "movement" as well.

of course, you could also counter my argument with the idea that pearl jam have stayed in-tact post-MLB, aside from shuffling drummers, so therefore MLB had the strong potential to as well.

(maybe someone who is a mod can branch this discussion off to another thread so we don't hijack this one.)

Edited by sodamnborntohula

Despite the Smiths being there, and many other bands I like, I can't think of a single thing ?

well i think a lot of people have heard of them, but their experience with the band doesn't go much beyond that.

That perfectly describes my position. I don't know why I've heard of them though.

and anything sid vicious related, so i could burn it in front of sid vicious fans. maybe on youtube.

i'd watch that.

i'd probably want something of david bowie's. not sure what. maybe something he had used to sniff cocaine off of... instruments seem like stock rock memorabilia... meg's got the right idea w/ matt good's mask.

i know a little about them and have heard songs from the sub pop samplers and "grunge" comps (like the hype! OST), but dont' know much of their history...

from what i've heard, their first album got lots of attention and they were going to be "the next big thing"... is that an exaggeration? to me they seemed like they were relatively unknown prior to the grunge explosion.

i wonder this just because of what you said mrs jesus... what would their output have been like had wood not died??? but i also wonder if they would've "made it" to the level that other grunge bands did.

what i'm trying to get at here is, would they have really had other releases? do you think they could have been grouped-in with those other bands from seattle, or would they have been left in the dust like many other pre-grunge-explosion seattle bands like the melvins, mudhoney and tad? and by "making it" i mean basically reaching a level of popularity that would afford them the time and money for another release.

MLB seem to be too closely aligned musically to things like cock-rock to be considered grunge, and if that's something we can agree on, then you'd have to question whether or not they would've lasted much longer. then again, the examples of bands that i gave as being "left in the dust" are all bands that have withstood the test of time and all of whom outlived the grunge "movement" as well.

of course, you could also counter my argument with the idea that pearl jam have stayed in-tact post-MLB, aside from shuffling drummers, so therefore MLB had the strong potential to as well.

(maybe someone who is a mod can branch this discussion off to another thread so we don't hijack this one.)

i first heard about mother love bone in rip magazine - which you are probably (i'm sorry) too young to remember. blackie o will remember it though. i read so many good things about them that i bought the apple album having never heard a single note because i was so interested to know about them. and dude, to this day i still think that's the best album i ever bought. every single song on it is perfect. the whole idea about them being the "next big thing" was totally not an exaggeration. the magazines were all sucking their dicks back then.

i know from reading interviews with andy wood that his main influences were queen, kiss, and elton john. so i think it's safe to say he was definitely coming from a glammier place than a lot of the other bands in the seattle scene. i personally do not think they have a cock rock sound about them, so i have never understood the comparisons. but i definitely don't think they have a 'grunge' sound about them either. i don't know where the hell they fit in. the lyrics are decidedly UN-cock rock, and honestly, so is the music. if i had to guess why they get the buttrock rep i would say maybe it's andy's voice, but if you listen to any of the hair band shit (;)) from back then, his voice is nothing like any of those guys either. maybe it's because he wore spandex and feather boas. but even that is more 70s glam than it is cock rock. to me the comparison just isn't there. they probably sound dated now, (but i don't notice it, fangirl that i am) but you have an open mind and the ability to recognize talent even in something you may not personally enjoy, so you really should give 'em a listen.

as far as whether or not they would have exploded had andy lived - i dunno. i definitely think that they would have stayed together and i definitely think there would NOT have been a pearl jam. i think they would have continued to make music and i think they would have evolved accordingly. i honestly cannot imagine what they could have done or what they would have become. i don't personally think that they would have been as huge a band as pearl jam is, maybe not even as big as soundgarden was. but they would have hung around. i don't know if they'd be grouped in with the other bands from seattle. probably so, if for no reason other than they were starting to get noticed at the same time the other bands from seattle were starting to draw attention. i don't know if they would have resonated as well with the alice or soundgarden fans that were into the heavier stuff. or the mudhoney fans that were into the noisier, more raw stuff. but dude, i don't know. i mean, i've posted for years at the alice in chains/jerry cantrell boards and the folks there are down with ALL the seattle bands. of course, most of them are also stuck in 1995 and eat up anything that has the word seattle or grunge on it, so maybe that's not a good example.

anyway, the point is - i really believe that there was no limit to what they could have done musically. i think that eventually the buttrock shadow would have been shrugged off, because i think they would have just continued to evolve and do their thing and likely not pay attention to musical trends. andy was way too creative, and look at what stone and jeff have done with pearl jam, you know? there was just WAY too much talent in that band, and they worked WAY too well together to ever think that they wouldn't have kept at it.

you are welcome for the novel.

Edited by mrs jesus