borntohula

Led Zeppelin Minus Robert Plant?

rumors are running wild as to who might take the microphone in the place of robert plant if he decides to skip the led zeppelin tour/album that are purportedly in the works.

it was john paul jones who was first quoted as saying that he wants the zeppelin train to carry on with or without plant. jimmy page has been quoted recently as being on the complete opposite end of the discussion, so who really knows what's going on at this point.

i wanted to see what people's thoughts on the matter were. would you see zeppelin minus plant? we seem to be encountering a lot of these band-minus-original-singer tours.

i personally think it's sacrilege, especially given who they're rumored to be considering (the dude who fronted alter bridge, ugh. chris cornell was a rumor but i think that'd be fucking awful seeing as how cornell can barely sing at all now without sounding like he's choking on phlegm). also, zep managed to keep their legacy water-tight by staying fucking retired. they disbanded after the death of bonham for a reason. sure, his kid can handle his father's role, but they've been out of the game for far too long to be considering recording another album. i really don't think they should record.

i understand the dudes want to tour, and i think it's kindof silly that plant wants to take fucking "two years rest"... for what? he can still sing those songs, and he's been doing zep songs on his tour with alison krauss anyways(excellent album, btw)... so what's the skin off his back? do a tour while you can still goddamn stand up. and if you're feeling extra creative at the end of it, cut an album.

i don't think i'd see them live, mainly because i highly doubt i'd be able to get tickets if they did make their way to toronto...

thoughts?

i wouldn't see them even with robert - not now. it just wouldn't be the same as seeing them in their heyday, not to mention i'm sure ticket prices would be through the fucking roof. but regardless of that - i think touring withOUT him is blasphemy.

Zep without Robert Plant is just not even a thought. John Paul Jones is probably still smarting from being left out of Page/Plant. I would gladly shell out the cash to see them with Plant. They are all still incredibly talented, and they can still rock ass. I've seen Plant solo(I have all of his solo stuff!!)!!, Page solo, and I've seen them together, I think they could still bring it. Jason, is freaking phenom on the drums. I saw him back in the late 80's when he was touring with his band...Just like his Dad, he can totally break shit, behind the kit.

I think it would be worth it to see them if they do this. But no Plant = No Bishop X.

but not chains with layne, huh?

well she might've thought that it was more or less the same kind of blasphemy at the time, but has had two years to get used to the idea of duvall taking layne's place.

but a better explanation for that logic is this: AIC are a younger band, with less of a legacy on their shoulders, TBQH. i think they have more freedom to do things because they don't have AS big a fan base as zep does. robert plant is robert plant, y'know? layne stayley is not. furthermore, -- and this is a key issue -- robert plant is not dead, he just apparently does not want to tour. there's a big difference there, seeing as how layne stayley cannot reprise his role as the singer to AIC, whereas robert plant is still alive and kicking. AIC never toured with a replacement stayley in their ranks while the man was still alive. apples and oranges.

Edited by borntohula

Hula, that was an awesome response. I couldn't have said it better.

That said...Robert Plant has a history of being finicky about touring since the end of Zepplin...and yet, get's out on the road, and extends his tours...I'm not worried yet.

well she might've thought that it was more or less the same kind of blasphemy at the time, but has had two years to get used to the idea of duvall taking layne's place.

but a better explanation for that logic is this: AIC are a younger band, with less of a legacy on their shoulders, TBQH. i think they have more freedom to do things because they don't have AS big a fan base as zep does. robert plant is robert plant, y'know? layne stayley is not. furthermore, -- and this is a key issue -- robert plant is not dead, he just apparently does not want to tour. there's a big difference there, seeing as how layne stayley cannot reprise his role as the singer to AIC, whereas robert plant is still alive and kicking. AIC never toured with a replacement stayley in their ranks while the man was still alive. apples and oranges.

your first one makes more sense.

why i see them as the same thing: they both have/had very distinct voices that are/were a huge part of the sound of their respective band. legacy and fan base aside, it's like slicing a piece out of an apple and replacing it with a slice of orange and still calling it an apple.

anyway...i wonder what she would say if she responded herself?

ps, mrs j: i agree with you on this: i have no interest in seeing geriatric led zeppelin. as a whole or as a frankenstein.

Other side of the coin...

AC/DC without Bon Scott???

again.... dead. had he lived, they would've continued on with him as the singer.

it is blasphemy to go on without a key member such as plant. as i've said in another thread, perhaps it shows a clear bias in rock music that the "key musicians" are usually the singer and the lead guitarist. it's sad but true. take eddie vedder out of pearl jam and you've got mother love bone or temple of the dog. take PJ's first drummer, dave krusen, out of the mix and replace him with dave abbruzzese and you've still got pearl jam. the drums and bass are subtle instruments, and although their changes in the lineup are noticeable, they are nevertheless minimal.

so sure, you and ian could tour w/ the MGB name, all the more power to you. but would you really want to?

can axl rose really call his band guns n roses? can billy corgan call his band the smashing pumpkins? they shouldn't, but they do. even the doors have the sense to tour as "the doors of the 2st century," (or whatever they're calling themselves) because they're willing to acknowledge that they are missing significant contributions from significant members. if bonham, jones and page decide to tour without plant, they shouldn't be named "led zeppelin"... just because it's misrepresentation. "page & plant" never used the name when they performed.

christopher - i TOLD you - i'm not 100% into the idea of alice without layne. without layne, i will NEVER be comfortable calling them alice in chains. but like i've said, i LIKE william. i think his voice is good, and i think he compliments the band well. it does not HURT that mr cantrell does so much singing and it doesn't hurt that jerry and william sing well TOGETHER. as alex keaton said - layne's dead. it's not a matter of the band wanting to tour and layne sitting there with his arms crossed being a holdout. there's nothing anyone can do about alice without layne. so it's either accept william and realize that even though he's not layne, he does a hell of a fucking job singing his songs, or miss out on anything new the guys put out - which i personally feel would be a very sad thing. people don't stop being talented just because someone dies, and if jerry's last solo album (<3) is ANY indication of what THIS album will sound like - then it's not something i want to miss.

the point is, no matter how much it hurts me to say this, while alice might be MY favorite band ever - they are not led zeppelin. they will never achieve the legendary status that led zeppelin has. alice in chains was 1/2 layne, 1/2 jerry. as long as layne stays dead and jerry stays alive, i don't feel like i'm being cheated. led zeppelin without robert plant is like pizza without cheese. it just don't fucking work, man.

and mr keaton - NO axl shouldn't be calling that shit gn'r and NO billy should not be calling that shit smashing pumpkins. serrrrriously.

It's not Led Zeppelin without Robert Plant. Him and Jimmy Page are integral to the band's sound. Even Page could maybe be replaced by someone who can play really well, but Plant's voice is so distinctive, I don't even think a good impression could cut it. Just look at Rush...

Any band who tries to be the same band without their original singer is a joke. I love Zeppelin, but I would not support this. Shame on Plant for backing out when everyone else is up for it, but maybe protecting the legacy is the better route.