kachapman89

Custom Matt Good Album Art!

A couple of weeks ago when finally organizing my Matt Good collection I decided to make some album art for the albums that had none.

MG-HistoryTeacherFinal.jpg

matthewgood-misc.jpg MatthewGood-TheVancouverDemos-Album.jpg

History Teacher

Designed to match the cover art of the In A Coma compilation.

Miscellaneous

I guess you could use these for webrips, demos, ect.

The Vancouver Demos

I used some art Matt Good had up on his Flickr account and just threw his name and the title of the album on there.

For anybody wondering, the font that Matt Good uses on most of his album covers is called Helvetica.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the album art!

Edited by kachapman89

Ooo, these are great! I especially love the History Teacher one.

Also, interesting to know Matt is partial to Helvetica. I had never noticed before. Does anyone know whether he controls every aspect of album cover (and booklet) design, or does he just pick the cover art and someone else takes it from there?

I'm not sure if it's Matt Good that actually designs them. It'd be interesting to find out, perhaps I'll drop him an e-mail tonight and maybe I'll get a reply.

And yes, by the looks of it, one variation or another of helvetica has been used on every single album cover since Loser Anthems in 2000.

Is it sad that that interests me?

EDIT: The History Teacher is my favorite one. I had a tough time coming up with something to 'shop onto the chalkboard and in the end decided to leave it blank. I also tried to colorize the black and white photo but wasn't pleased with the results. Another gripe I have with it is after I got my copy of In A Coma Delux shipped to me I saw that I screwed up the font on the word "History Teacher" on the In A Coma cover they actually use a bold variation of the font, and unfortunately I don't own that bold variation.

Also, I used to have hi-res copies of the album art but two nights ago my computer went to hell and I had to reformat. Sorry guys!

Edited by kachapman89

I was about to give constructive criticism, but I ended up just trying was I was thinking, so I figure I may as well post it to add to my my description. This is what I would have done with your layout:

Typeface: Helvetica (the one you used reminds me of comic sans, which is something you'd want to stay away from in most cases)

Used a night scene instead of day and adjusted the reflection a bit, then added a few details.

Not a huge change, but the mood is totally different.

post-1965-1229369600_thumb.jpg

Edited by hum-an-ole

I was about to give constructive criticism, but I ended up just trying was I was thinking, so I figure I may as well post it to add to my my description. This is what I would have done with your layout:

Typeface: Helvetica (the one you used reminds me of comic sans, which is something you'd want to stay away from in most cases)

Used a night scene instead of day and adjusted the reflection a bit, then added a few details.

Not a huge change, but the mood is totally different.

I really like this cover you made. It will soon become my wallpaper once I get home from work. ;)

Thanks for the link to Massacre in Disguise. I'd never seen that site before. That guy's front page would be fun as an album cover (Mattzilla strolls/rampages through Vancouver!)

And hum-an-ole, I like your tweaked design! The Helvetica and the night scene add just the right amount of edge to it.

I'll just quickly troll in. I don't think that anybody has hit on the darkness of it yet. Matt makes a lot of commentary about the homeless crisis in Vancouver. I have a feeling that the album might be a tad on the gritty side about this.