Crusader

Jj Abram's Star Trek

That's why they flat out said in the movie "so, it's kind of like we're an alternate universe" It showed exactly how and why things were different and I thought it worked really well.

That's why they flat out said in the movie "so, it's kind of like we're an alternate universe" It showed exactly how and why things were different and I thought it worked really well.

The how and why certainly worked, it's the fact that it is an alternate universe that bothers me.

Hackers? Really? lmao

Well, I gotta agree on Angelina's tits. That was a pleasant surprise.

hackers had months of one liners it's awesome. Plus angelina was just totally totally smoking in that movie. When she flashes crash override, I jumped out of the seat at the theater. Yes i'm old enough to have seen it in the theater, incidentally I saw it in the theater the blob was filmed in : )

She looks FINE in gia but less punky it was a big disappointing. Now if you want to see her at the height of awesome. Foxfire!!!

Okay, watched it. Enjoyed it but it's a lot different from what I'm used to.

I think Spock's spaceship had too many moving parts to actually fly and Kirk kinda sucked. Sylar Spock and John Cho were pretty cool though. Also that was a spot on impersonation of Bones.

Agreed that the explanation of his name was stupid as was Uhura's "first name."

Also "red matter."

The how and why certainly worked, it's the fact that it is an alternate universe that bothers me.

yeah i think it's a bit of a cop-out in the sense that, if they mess shit up here, it doesn't affect the canonical star trek in any way. that's not really taking the kind of a chance that an entire franchise reboot really allows. but at the same time, given that this is star trek, i think the rabid fan-base would go apeshit if the star trek universe as they know it was somehow changed, and telling the story as though it's an alternate reality gives abrahms the kind of creative freedom to play with really well-known characters and to do whatever he likes with them (within reason). i think there's a lot of potential, and based on the film i'm really excited to see what comes next from these guys.

as much as kirk was an asshole and spock was a vengeful prick, i liked those twists on the characters, as i never thought of either in such a way. also, i'm glad uhura had such an integral role in things because i've always felt as though she was just a two-dimensional character and was frankly quite boring.

I never got a chance to weigh in on this. I liked it. I thought Spock and Kirk's Origins were spot on...kind of leaves the whole Kirk's brother story from the TOS a little wrecked. But okay. Also killing off Spock's mom bother's the shit out of me. She has such a tremendous ongoing impact on the character over time.

I liked the tech, and I thought Cho was an awesome Sulu. The Bones character was spot on!!! I liked that Uhuru had more of role. The Spock romance thing was a very interesting twist. All in all the movie was fucking A.

Also that was a spot on impersonation of Bones.

Agreed that the explanation of his name was stupid as was Uhura's "first name."

I agree, Karl Urban seemed to be channeling the spirit of DeForest Kelley, it was almost freaky lol.

Uhura's first name has always been Nyota, this is just the first time it was spoken onscreen.

Overall, though it's something new to get used to (new timeline with drastic changes (Spock/Uhura, the destruction of Vulcan, Amanda dying, etc.)) I though it was fantastic. A couple of things bug me though. Kirk would never have been promoted so quickly, for example. And Christopher Pike is not Han Solo. I love Star Wars too, but keep them separate. On Star Trek you say "Engage", not "Punch it". It was only a minor thing for me, but for many Trekkies it might feel like someone spat in their face.

But anyway, like I said, overall it's fantastic, I thought it was well cast (it was cool to see Leonard Nimoy as Spock again), with good characterization, good but sometimes illogical story (black holes have personalities I guess, sometimes they feel like destroying things and sometimes they feel like sending things through time) and great action and humour.

I thought it was a very good movie. I think that the timeline/alternate time thing was the only way they could reboot it. If they did it with no explanation (ie. Batman, etc) it would have been a disservice to the originals. This way, they are telling a different story.

And yeah, it was a little more like Star Wars. But it also was the introduction to the new series (hopefully). They will have time to mature and hopefully become more intellectual as the series progresses.