AndrewfromBC

Matt's Work Plagiarised?

there have been countless people on this bored who have brought this topic up, but even though it might get a little tiresome, i never get tired of how terrible the video is for "cry."

Please forgive my ignorance. I honestly didn't mean to bring up some tired old topic and waste everybody's time.

That said, it is a pretty bad video.

Really? I can think of three bands just from within the UK that are huge musical influences for me. In order I guess they'd be Porcupine Tree, Radiohead (not their new stuff), and Muse.

I agree though that Matt is definitely one of our best musical exports (even if he's only exported in very small amounts, like a great Belgian beer). Some of Canada's other recent contributions to popular music include Nickelback (the Stella Artois of our bands, massed produced shit in other words), Avril Lavigne, Simple Plan, Theory of a Dead Man, etc. You see my point.

It's not good to get down on your country's whole music scene though. Some of the better Canadian bands I thoroughly enjoy include Arcade Fire, Rush, The Tragically Hip, Sam Roberts, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, and Holy Fuck, among others.

Yep. Well, I can't help how I feel. Matthew Good and MGB are like a breath of fresh air to me. I don't have a downer on Brit music; I like Elbow, James Morrison, David Gray, Ash. The operative word is 'like'; I LOVE MG / MGB...

Coldplay and Joe Satriani should get together and record one song together because the mash up of If I Could Fly and Viva La Vida is fucking incredibly awesome and I love it. Haha!

If I Could Fly is actually my favorite Joe Satriani song, and I enjoy Viva La Vida as well.

My take on all this is everyone is bound to steal from everyone else, or basically there's so much shit out there you can't help but find some (coincidental) overlap.

I have made this point many times. Nobody is 100% original. Everyone is influenced by someone else. Beck got tips from someone....Led Zeppelin from someone....Beatles......same thing....it goes all the way back to the first caveman who beat two rocks together to create a rhythm who was heard by another caveman, who did it for his tribe.

i never get tired of how terrible the video is for "cry."

yeah. they're dressed like surgeons miming to something or other in a donut factory with bright lights and annoying jump cuts? i don't get it.

It's one thing to sell riff, but am I the only one to whom it seems really lame to buy a riff? I would think you certainly couldn't walk around claiming to have artistic merit if you just bought the rights to someone else's work. I mean, I certainly wouldn't be able to call myself a comedian if I bought the rights to George Carlin's material or something.

While not as blatant as the Indestructible riff.. one of my favourite bands (Jimmy Eat World) used a very, very similar intro in their song '23' (it's from their 2004 album) to that of MGB's "Everything is Automatic".

I always found it fun that one of my fave bands had the same riff as my fave band of all time.

Wow, I've been a hardcore MG fan for over a dozen years and I've just found about this plagiarism (thanks to wikipedia). For those that don't know, Matt addressed this plagiarism in an interview 5 years ago, saying that “They basically took ‘Indestructible’ note for note,” and “They completely admitted they were in the wrong." The National Post wrote that Good decided against suing the band, chalking it up to a mistake by the album’s producer rather than malicious intent and that Good doesn’t get paid royalties off the track. It's also interesting to read that Geoff Lloyd said Matt sold the song.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/entertainment-pmn/same-old-song-the-debate-over-copyright-litigation-in-the-music-industry

On 9/25/2023 at 2:10 AM, MatthewGoodFan101 said:

Wow, I've been a hardcore MG fan for over a dozen years and I've just found about this plagiarism (thanks to wikipedia). For those that don't know, Matt addressed this plagiarism in an interview 5 years ago, saying that “They basically took ‘Indestructible’ note for note,” and “They completely admitted they were in the wrong." The National Post wrote that Good decided against suing the band, chalking it up to a mistake by the album’s producer rather than malicious intent and that Good doesn’t get paid royalties off the track. It's also interesting to read that Geoff Lloyd said Matt sold the song.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/entertainment-pmn/same-old-song-the-debate-over-copyright-litigation-in-the-music-industry

Raine Maida, left, ...