Kumquat

Who's the best live band?

I'd have to say that Matthew Good and band were the best show I've ever seen (circa October 23rd). And Matt did okay keeping the crowd in line, or atleast making certain parts of the crowd feel like idiots and be shunned by the rest. Other than that the White Stripes put on quite the spectacle for a two person act. And on the same note, I've never seen them live, but I hear Death From Above 1979 have the best damn encore in the business.

ok, rammstein wins best live *spectacle*, as for best live performance...

Well just about any band can get on stage and perform their songs, but in that case the audience may as well just stay home and listen to the album on their stereo. A good spectacle adds another dimension to the performance, makes it into a real show.

omg theres like tons of fire and shit in those pictures, you see how its like coming out of his arms and everything?

thats wild

what do you think hes cooking in that big pot there?

i bet its people, boiling people, and after the last song, hes gonna dump the people-water all over the crowd... and that would be awesome ;)

It is people that he's cooking. Or just one person, the band's keyboardist, Christian "Flake" Lorenz is placed inside the pot, the vocalist then sprays the pot with the flamethrower, Flake escapes the pot however and is chased around with the flamethrower. This is done for the song "Mein Teil" (My Part) which is based on the true story of Armin Meiwes, a cannibal who met his victim over the internet.

ok, rammstein wins best live *spectacle*, as for best live performance...

Well just about any band can get on stage and perform their songs, but in that case the audience may as well just stay home and listen to the album on their stereo. A good spectacle adds another dimension to the performance, makes it into a real show.

if i want a spectacle, I will go to the circus.

I go to a concert to hear musicians play their songs, not light things on fire, and spray fake cum everywhere.

but iam old fashioned

What's with the insults?? I can be entertained by bands who put on less explosive performances. It's not as if the only band I like is Rammstein. But I do beleive that the fire adds more of a visual element than you would get from any other band's performance. Alot of bands seem to lack a real stage presence, they just stand around playing, barely audible if at larger venues and you're far from the stage. It gets boring pretty quickly when you're far back in a crowd where you can barely see the band and barely hear them.

You act is if Rammstein doesn't play at all, but just wander around spewing flames every which way and do nothing else. In terms of how they actually sound live, they play pretty well and being inaudible is never a problem.

When the show's in a relatively small venue and you got 2,000 people at the most, then I like a more "mellow" performance as much as the next person

Jimmy Page and Pete Townsend didn't have to set themselves on fire to get a reaction and be known as two of the best ever in the business. But Kiss did. Notice the difference? A true talent can blow you away without the spectacle of fire, blood, vomit, or what ever their gimmic happens to be. There's a pretty big line between being a great band of musicians and great band of entertainers. Not knocking either here, but there is a big difference when relating musicians to entertainers. Both are great and serve a purpose, but I'll take the guy that stands there and plays his instrument to the guy that pukes on it.

-Troy-

Jimmy Page and Pete Townsend didn't have to set themselves on fire to get a reaction and be known as two of the best ever in the business. But Kiss did. Notice the difference? A true talent can blow you away without the spectacle of fire, blood, vomit, or what ever their gimmic happens to be. There's a pretty big line between being a great band of musicians and great band of entertainers. Not knocking either here, but there is a big difference when relating musicians to entertainers. Both are great and serve a purpose, but I'll take the guy that stands there and plays his instrument to the guy that pukes on it.

-Troy-

Who the hell would puke on their instruments??

Mogwai. Real loud.

Seeing Radiohead play "Idioteque" live was incredible too. Huge stage presence from such a small guy.

Slayer was crazy live. Pantera wasn't.

There is no answer to whether a theatrical presentation is more important than a simple focus on music and music alone.

Live shows are fluid. Sometimes performers are off. Sometimes you aren't in the mood to enjoy it fully.

I hope everybody is going to Coachella...

http://www.coachella.com/

Mogwai. Real loud.

Seeing Radiohead play "Idioteque" live was incredible too. Huge stage presence from such a small guy.

Slayer was crazy live. Pantera wasn't.

There is no answer to whether a theatrical presentation is more important than a simple focus on music and music alone.

Live shows are fluid. Sometimes performers are off. Sometimes you aren't in the mood to enjoy it fully.

I hope everybody is going to Coachella...

http://www.coachella.com/

I am trying to get all my shit together to get down there.