Moonlight_Graham

Why did MGB break up?

The only people who know why MGB broke up is MGB.

I'm not trying to be mean but I suggest we let this topic die. No one here knows the full story of what happened. If anyone tries to explain it, it's only going to be half truths. I've seen this thread show up on boards before and it turns into a giant mess of who did what. Then of course rumors get spread..etc.. ya get where I'm going with this.

Just a friendly suggestion.

I agree with Tim.

Matt has mentioned a few things in interviews and stuff, but i think that if he wanted us to know everything then he would just come out and say it.

I think that we should just leave it knowing that it was time for all of them to move on.

Matt and Dave wanted to go in different directions.

Dave was a perfectionist and tracked everything 9000 times, this caused a slower pace than Matt wanted to move at (hence why he recorded WLRRR in 9 days). That's why Matt's not a fan of audio of being, it's a representation of the band members pulling in different directions. I'm sure Dave being a drug addict wasn't helping matters, either.

Matt and Dave wanted to go in different directions.

I dont think much more needs to be said. That's why i'm not a huge fan of Audio of Being... i think its half Beautiful Midnight part 2 (what Dave wanted) and half Avalanche (what Matt wanted)

I don't know the exact date of the breakup, but it was shortly after AOB came out in the fall of 2001.

Shaun, didn't you realize that they are not "Matthew Good Band" anymore and that they are "Matthew Good"????

i don't know why they broke up - I agree with Tim and Anna - only they know what really happened... and for me after such a crisis came my most favorite album ever: Audio Of Being

I don't have any problem with Audio of Being at all. In fact, The Fall of Man is one of my favorite songs. Things happen. People ask me why I broke up with my girlfriend of four years and it's easy. I found out she was a whore.

I bet Matt just found out they were all whores.

ok, well thats good enough an explanation. I don't really care about the real reasons, i just never knew anything about the break-up except that one day i picked up a CD (Avalanche) and it just said "Matthew Good" on it instead of MGB. Like i said, i don't really give a ****, because MGB to me was just always Matt Good, and bunch of mediocre musicians.

P.S. which one is Dave? The blonde drummer guy, our the dark-haired guitarist with that weird solo in the "Hello Time Bomb" video?

dark haired guitarist

and as you said, mgb was always just matt good and some other musicians... i think dave felt alot people felt like that and wanted to be appreciated.

or at keast thats what i would infer. i know i'd feel like that.

If i was Dave i wouldn't have joined a band called "Matthew Good Band". Was he not there at the band meeting when they decied what to call the band?

Personally i think its a pretty weird thing to name a band after yourself. Does anyone know why Matt named the band after himself? Is that just an ego-trip or poor imagination?

If i was Dave i wouldn't have joined a band called "Matthew Good Band". Was he not there at the band meeting when they decied what to call the band?

Personally i think its a pretty weird thing to name a band after yourself. Does anyone know why Matt named the band after himself? Is that just an ego-trip or poor imagination?

They were using it temporarily due to lack of imagination. Then they became popular and were stuck with it. Matt's declared his hate for the name many times over the years.

If i was Dave i wouldn't have joined a band called "Matthew Good Band".  Was he not there at the band meeting when they decied what to call the band?

Personally i think its a pretty weird thing to name a band after yourself.  Does anyone know why Matt named the band after himself?  Is that just an ego-trip or poor imagination?

They were using it temporarily due to lack of imagination. Then they became popular and were stuck with it. Matt's declared his hate for the name many times over the years.

oh thanks, i've always wondered what the story was about that. glad to know Matt hates the name, and he's not an ego-maniac.

If i was Dave i wouldn't have joined a band called "Matthew Good Band".  Was he not there at the band meeting when they decied what to call the band?

Personally i think its a pretty weird thing to name a band after yourself.  Does anyone know why Matt named the band after himself?  Is that just an ego-trip or poor imagination?

He joined the band after they were called matthewgoodband

i think he joined officially when raygun was released.. but he does play in the video for S.W.W.

To juanpe: i know that MGB broke up lol.. i was kidding.

Also.. the comment previous to this one.. that sounds a lot like Matt Good type of comment. Does Matt Good use this forum? I know he occasionally posts on another board.

Edited by NationofCool