i prefer grace to sketches because the former is a complete album while the latter is just incomplete songs that were intended for an album that was never finished. although, sketches does have some solid material, particularly "new years prayer." i like that one a lot.

my favourite of his would have to be live at sin-e. it's great. just buckley on guitar. no fluff, no full-rock band bullshit. i saw a dvd of his recently, which was filmed during the latter part of his career, and he fucking shat on "eternal life" with a full band. it was terrible. they just blew right through it and thought that by making it heavier, it would make up for the fact that the song sounded awful. his singing and stuff was fine, but they just turned it into a boring, conventional rock song by speeding the thing up. jeff by himself is where its at. he does some great covers in the sin-e set as well. you guys should check it out if you haven't yet.

Edited by borntohula

i prefer grace to sketches because the former is a complete album while the latter is just incomplete songs that were intended for an album that was never finished. although, sketches does have some solid material, particularly "new years prayer." i like that one a lot.

my favourite of his would have to be live at sin-e. it's great. just buckley on guitar. no fluff, no full-rock band bullshit. i saw a dvd of his recently, which was filmed during the latter part of his career, and he fucking shat on "eternal life" with a full band. it was terrible. they just blew right through it and thought that by making it heavier, it would make up for the fact that the song sounded awful. his singing and stuff was fine, but they just turned it into a boring, conventional rock song by speeding the thing up. jeff by himself is where its at. he does some great covers in the sin-e set as well. you guys should check it out if you haven't yet.

grace is easily one of my 10 top favorite albums.

i don't know where it sits with me. i've never compiled one of those top ten lists before. i think it'd change too frequently, haha. for something from the 90s, it definitely surprised me by not sounding like it was from the 90s. okay, well it does a bit, but there's something about it that's timeless.

2 questions

Are you by any chance refering to the live in Chicago DVD? And, are you saying compared to the acoustic version of EL the full band version sucks, or compared to the album version the live full band version sucks?

2 questions

Are you by any chance refering to the live in Chicago DVD? And, are you saying compared to the acoustic version of EL the full band version sucks, or compared to the album version the live full band version sucks?

compared to any version, the live, full band version sucks. suddenly it became this muscular, "grunge" song and it was terrible to hear. he can play "kick out the jams" all he likes, but don't fuck with "eternal life."

I never heard of Jeff Buckley before, but I gave a few of his songs a listen after reading about him here and I was really impressed. I got a copy of his album Grace and I think it's fantastic. Hallelujah is a great song but others like Lover, You Should've Come Over and Grace really stand out too.

I have discovered Jeff Buckley over the past year and I am slowly becoming obsessed. He had the most incredible ability to convey just about every emotion through his vocals. Grace has quickly shot up to be among my favorite albums...Lover, You Should've Come Over is without a doubt my favorite song from it. I'm trying to learn it on the guitar. To me, it's the greatest song about love lost ever written. The lyrics in that song, it truly blows me away that he pretty much sums it up so perfectly - and sings it so perfectly. I bought Sketches...waiting for it to come in the mail.

I also looked up Live at sin-e....the samples I've heard have been amazing. It intrigues me even more because I found out that this was a club in NYC...and anything NYC centric usually gets me interested.

Listened to a few of his father's songs too...the whole Buckley story just seems fascinating. Both had so much talent, and both died so very young...I'm interested in learning more about them.

Edited by Gomo

Guest Idioteque

I read that "My Sweetheart the Drunk" was thrown out by Jeff Buckley and he intended to write a completely new album because his label wanted him to be more like Nirvana & Pearl Jam (W.e was popular at the time) Which is why the songs on that album are so underwhelming. Especially with his vocals, because during the 90's apparently it was not cool to be able to sing.

Edited by Idioteque

compared to any version, the live, full band version sucks. suddenly it became this muscular, "grunge" song and it was terrible to hear. he can play "kick out the jams" all he likes, but don't fuck with "eternal life."

Sorry, never you saw you post this originally.

It's interesting you say that because I am of the exact opposite opinion. I always thought the studio version was the boring, bland conventional version of that song. It sounded like, save for Jeff's voice, it could have been written by any one of a hundred bands out there. There was no urgency or honest feeling I got when I listed to it. It was like they needed a "rock song" they could market so it was written. 

The live version certainly had a "grunge" aspect to it, but I wouldn't accuse it of trying to be something it wasn't. To me it was always just Jeff and the band trying to do something in a different way and making it their own.