I also enjoyed their new album.... James' lyrics have gotten terrible for the most part, but as an album it kicks their last couple out of the water. Since black/self titled they always have 1 or two amazing songs per album, but with 14 tracks per disc they also have a lot of shite. I think that this is their most consistently good album since Black.... and it rocks, no southern country/rock crap like load/reload.

I really liked Load. It was very different than everything before it, but a great album. Reload mostly sucked ass. St. Anger i thought had some great lyrics, but was a mediocre album for sure. Death Magnetic is definatetly a throwback to the old days. Very good album. I just bought the whole album for Guitar Hero: World Tour. Wooo!!

If anyone likes Metallica or metal in general, check out the album "Shogun" by Trivium. One of my fav albums of 2008. "Kirisute Gomen" is a kickass track.

Parallel Play - Sloan

Here's to Being Here - Jason Collett

Snacktime - Barenaked Ladies

Oceans Will Rise - The Stills

Live at Massey Hall - Matthew Good

That's definitely my list of favourites for this year. ;)

Stainless Style, by Neon Neon: This album is fun as fuck. A DJ and a frontman for a stoner Britpop group make an album about the life of John DeLorean and accidentally make it an 80's pop tour de force. Utterly addictive.

Folie a Deux, by Fall Out Boy: No more emo band for these folks. As much as I hate to like this group due to the prepubescent teenage girls that worship the ground they walk on, the music gets better and better every album. Patrick Stump has the potential to be a musical genius, but chooses to paste eloquent pop tunes on top of Pete Wentz's clever to absolutely horrible lyrics. This whole album is about cocaine. I know why Lil Wayne is on it.

Searching for the Hows and Whys, by Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly: So this is what British emo sounds like? I don't know, but it's a hell of a lot more tolerable than it is over here. There's as many heartfelt songs as there are politically aware, stripped down ballads. It's an interesting mix that warrants a repeat listen.

Edited by darynalexander

I went on quite a downloading binge last week and here are some albums that stuck:

M83 - Saturdays = Youth

I remember having one of their albums in the past, not sure what happened to it. I'm very much into atmospheric music in recent months and this album is pretty great. I checked out the rest of their discography and it's solid. I like them.

Foals - Antidotes

They remind me a little bit of Bloc Party and yet they're quite different. Good beats, nice vocals.

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

I remember listening to this a few months ago and not liking it but I decided to give it another chance. Very delicate, very minor, doesn't suit for everybody but I like it.

Deerhunter - Microcastle

Their name was very familiar but I was unsure if I ever listened to them or not. I really like this album.

And I agree with the Fleet Foxes recommendation, there's something very soothing and beautiful in their music.

I really liked Load. It was very different than everything before it, but a great album. Reload mostly sucked ass. St. Anger i thought had some great lyrics, but was a mediocre album for sure. Death Magnetic is definatetly a throwback to the old days. Very good album. I just bought the whole album for Guitar Hero: World Tour. Wooo!!

If anyone likes Metallica or metal in general, check out the album "Shogun" by Trivium. One of my fav albums of 2008. "Kirisute Gomen" is a kickass track.

I'm impressed with Trivium, actually. I am totally hooked on Airbourne too.

Records I was really into this year:

Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - Real Emotional Trash. The rest of the list is in no particular order, but this was my absolute favourite record this year.

Deerhoof - Offend Maggie

Martha Wainwright - I Know You're Married But I've Got Feelings Too

Hayden - In Field & Town

DB Buxton Revue - No Refund EP

Blitzen Trapper - Furr

My favourite songs this year, again in no order:

Smashing Pumpkins - Sunkissed/Superchrist

Sloan - Cheap Champagne

Deerhoof - Chandelier Searchlight

Beck - Orphans/Volcano

Cat Power - Silver Stallion/Song to Bobby

Hayden - The Van Song

Jason Collett - Brother

Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - Out of Reaches/Walk Into the Mirror

the Constantines - Our Age

Hot Chip - One Pure Thought

Weezer - Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Brendan Canning - Churches Under Stairs

I went on quite a downloading binge last week and here are some albums that stuck:

M83 - Saturdays = Youth

I remember having one of their albums in the past, not sure what happened to it. I'm very much into atmospheric music in recent months and this album is pretty great. I checked out the rest of their discography and it's solid. I like them.

Foals - Antidotes

They remind me a little bit of Bloc Party and yet they're quite different. Good beats, nice vocals.

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

I remember listening to this a few months ago and not liking it but I decided to give it another chance. Very delicate, very minor, doesn't suit for everybody but I like it.

Deerhunter - Microcastle

Their name was very familiar but I was unsure if I ever listened to them or not. I really like this album.

And I agree with the Fleet Foxes recommendation, there's something very soothing and beautiful in their music.

glad you liked deerhunter ,shiri. you should check out their prior album, cryptograms, it's very hazy and atmospheric, and very good.

my top ten:

portishead - third

no age - nouns

ponytail - ice cream spiritual

wolf parade - at mt. zoomer

tv on the radio - dear science

deerhunter - microcastle

women - s/t

made out of babies - the ruiner

sian alice group - 59.59

shearwater - rook

the q-tip, genghis tron and be your own pet records were also delicious.

I haven't been here in a while but I figured I'd contribute my best of 08 list... though its a little longer than some and a little late. 2008 was a very solid year for music. If 09 comes even close, I may just be the happiest guy in Vancouver.

1. The Constantines