rbx260

I Need Your Help

So it's very simple. Christmas has come and gone, and I have decided it's time for me to pick up one of these fine systems, and I figured only the people here at The Bored could help me out. I already have a Wii, and I enjoy it, but I need a great single player system, that I can sit down and play at. So, what do you all have to say!?

Which one should I get, a Ps3 or a Xbox 360?

xbox 360 for $199, no question.

Normally I'd say it depends on which games you want to play, but the only real ps3 exclusive that's worth it's own weight is little big planet.. and you can't beat xbox live for online multiplayer on a console.

Price isn't really an option right now (Lots of X-Mas Money + Nice New Job), so I was thinking either the Elite or the new 160GB PS3. The Blu-Ray is very attractive, and My girlfriend does this that Little Big Planet is quite "cute." However, so much about the 360 is incredibly attractive, especially Xbox Live. That being said, this will likely have to last me well into the next Next-Gen War, and Xbox seems like it's time is running short, while Sony keeps talking this 10 year plan with the Ps3. Any thoughts there?

I recommend the PS3. If only because when something is broken, they go above and beyond to fix it.

I'm actually upgrading to the PS3 in 2009. I waited this long because the PS2 was buggy as shit when it first came out. I sent mine back after three weeks of glitches. They had so many in for repair, and the turnaround was so long they sent me a new one. This one went back after a week. By this time they'd announced they were shipping an updated model with new firmware. I went out and purchased it, and it was great(I was tired of waiting) then they sent me a new one, and it also worked great. Both are still running just fine. The best part is they gave me a rebate when I told them that I went out and bought one. So the one I purchased only cost me like $75 in the end. Looking back though, I should have just waited. I play the 360 at other people's houses, and I like it...but I'm a product loyalist, so until sony makes an absolute piece of shit, and don't fix it...I'll stick with it.

Edited by bishopx

Metal Gear Solid 4 is also a fine example of what the PS3 can do, and is what I consider the best game ever made, and I don't even own a PS3 yet.

From a gaming standpoint, I would have to recommend going with the 360 right now. The library of games is larger, and with the exception of Metal Gear Solid 4 and LittleBigPlanet, the 360 has far better exclusive games than the PS3 does. The PS3 is getting what should be some great exclusive games in the future (God of War 3!), but right now, with games like Dead Rising, Fable 2, Gears of War 1/2, Left4Dead, Halo 3, Ninja Gaiden 2, not to mention some fantastic games you can download on XBOX Live Arcade, like Braid and Castle Crashers, I think the 360 is the way to go. If you want to do some online gaming, XBOX live is a great service, though it will set you back $60 bucks to play online for a year, and if you want games you can play with your girlfriend, well, the Lego Star Wars/Indiana Jones/Batman games are good for co-op, but if your girlfriend is like mine, she'll want to play the Nazi Zombie mode in Call of Duty: World at War.

I don't think the 360's time is running short. Yes, it's been on the market for 3 years already (PS3 and Wii for 2), but with how powerful the hardware is now, I think it's going to take more time for developers to figure out how to get the most out of the system, and that goes for the PS3 and Wii as well. This console generation is definitely going to last longer than any previous (though some publishers are STILL releasing PS2 games), and I think there are lots of games that are going to be of such high quality that you'll still want to play them 2 or 3 years down the road.

In time, I know that there will be enough high-quality, system exclusive games for both the 360 and PS3 that will warrant a purchase of both (I'm getting a PS3 this weekend, and the only 2 games I want right now are Metal Gear Solid 4 and LittleBigPlanet), but for now, my vote goes to the 360.

PS3 = Amazing

360 = Amazing

All in all, it depends on what you're into. The PS3 doesn't have the online to the same degree that the 360 does. However, the PS3 is reliable whereas the 360 is still plagued with hardware failures (I actually witnessed a display model 360 crash at Best Buy the other day) The PS3 is also much more customizable (you can use any old hard drive in it, insead of having to buy a PS3 hard drive. Also, you can apparently install a different OS if you want to)

If you do go with the 360, do NOT go with the $199 arcade model. An Xbox without a hard drive is pointless (and one of the reasons that they're ahead in the market. Sony could drop the hard drive from a PS3 but they know that it is an important feature)

Unless you want Blu-Ray, go with the Xbox 360. There is really little reason to go with a PS3 over 360 unless Blu-Ray is big for you, or you are would kill for one of their exclusive games like Metal Gear Solid 4, LittleBigPlanet, or Ratchet & Clank etc. 360 is simply cheaper, has much better online, and more exclusive quality games (and more games overall), and if you live in the U.S. you get full Netflix integration (if you have a Netlfix account you can download your movies onto your 360 for free instead of the snail-mail crap). Your girlfriend would probably love Viva Pinata for 360, my sister loves it and pretty much anyone i know who plays it loves it for its casual fun & cuteness. 360 also has exclusives like Halo 3, Gears of War 2, Mass Effect, Fable 2, Dead Rising, Braid etc. and virtually every game that isn't published by Sony will make it onto the 360 also, but with better online. Final Fantasy XIII is even coming to 360.

I'd go with the Xbox 360 Premium for $299. You get the 60GB HDD and HDMI port. For $100 more the Elite only gives you a 120GB HDD (who the hell needs more than a 60 GB??) and includes an HDMI cable for free. Note though that if you only have wi-fi in your home you'll have to fork out another $100 for a 360 network adapter no matter which version of the 360 you get.

I wouldn't worry much about the 360 vs PS3 outlasting each other in the future. The PS2 had a massive console sales lead last gen over the Xbox so is has lasted much longer. This gen the 360 is more popular than the PS3 so i would see them both supporting their consoles for many years to come.

I have a PS3 and I really don't have any regrets. I got burned by the first Fable...thought it was going to be amazing so I bought an Xbox for it ($130 at the time so not too bad), but I don't give a fuck about Fable II. Ninja Gaiden, well, I'd like to play the new one but I can live without it.

I'm also a firm believer that playing Final Fantasy on an XBox is blasphemy. This is how I reassure myself ;)

you have to have an hd to save anything on xbox. - the basic xbox has a ton of issues with them giving ya the rings of death/crashing. Do yourself a favor and get an elite. it's worth the extra money it's quieter and won't break. and then while your at the store get rechargeable battery packs!

xbox has the majority of single port games;metal gear is okay, little big planet-it's cute but unless your trying to use your video games to get laid...

xbox has live, it costs money but it's much much more developed than ps3's network(which is free as of now)

in short I have both and I would always pick 360.