Moonlight_Graham

What Videogame(s) Are You Playing Right Now?

Its amazing how many times the attempt to improve the fighting/control systems and it ends up worse!

I finally unlocked the hidden blade that's so familiar to the series, but it took longer than I would have liked.

Like I said before, it wouldn't be so much of a culture shock to get used to if I hadn't just played Syndicate for two weeks prior to the release.  It does get easier to use as you level up.  I found the spear to be a very effective weapon.

Guest Idioteque

I didn't even know a new Assassins game came out, I checked out some combat gameplay & it looks absolutely awful. Same type of health bar/hit point clutter that killed the immersion of Horizon Zero Dawn for me. Visually seeing attack points on the screen feels like an arcade game or Japanese button masher. 

The new Shadow of War game really improves that style of fighting & I love it. I remember playing Assassins Creed 2 & going on the most epic Counter-battles, surrounded by 20 soldiers holding my ground. I'm kinda not shocked that 90% of the comments on Origins videos that revolve around the fight mechanics is getting shit on. The game does look gorgeous.

I'm getting real sick of microtransactions, I read Origins has it, Shadow of War has it, the new Battlefront 2 has it but fans were smart enough to complain & get it fixed. https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/31/16581432/star-wars-battlefront-2-loot-boxes-star-cards

I'm strictly an offline player, I like playing story-modes & having my own adventures. So when single player games start getting cut up for multiplayer options & single player games start getting loot boxes, hurts my heart. I can still remember most of the cheat codes for GTA San Andreas, now cheat codes are your credit card number. 

I didn't even know a new Assassins game came out, I checked out some combat gameplay & it looks absolutely awful. Same type of health bar/hit point clutter that killed the immersion of Horizon Zero Dawn for me. Visually seeing attack points on the screen feels like an arcade game or Japanese button masher. 

The new Shadow of War game really improves that style of fighting & I love it. I remember playing Assassins Creed 2 & going on the most epic Counter-battles, surrounded by 20 soldiers holding my ground. I'm kinda not shocked that 90% of the comments on Origins videos that revolve around the fight mechanics is getting shit on. The game does look gorgeous.

I'm getting real sick of microtransactions, I read Origins has it, Shadow of War has it, the new Battlefront 2 has it but fans were smart enough to complain & get it fixed. https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/31/16581432/star-wars-battlefront-2-loot-boxes-star-cards

I'm strictly an offline player, I like playing story-modes & having my own adventures. So when single player games start getting cut up for multiplayer options & single player games start getting loot boxes, hurts my heart. I can still remember most of the cheat codes for GTA San Andreas, now cheat codes are your credit card number. 

It's actually not as bad as it looks.  You don't necessarily have to target specific body parts, or at least I haven't seen any of that.  I just hammer the shit out of them until they die.  

I hate microtransactions because you already pay enough for these games.  I don't really think you need to pay more just to unlock stuff in the game.  DLC also bugs me, but not as much.

Guest Idioteque

DLCs can be fine if it's adding additional stuff, but it seems 90% of DLCs contain crap that got taken straight out of the finished game, like missions or weapons. 

I'll still buy Origins when it's on sale because I love Egypt history & all that, I've just never been able to enjoy that type of fighting mechanic though from other games. 

Horizon did have some decent (but not amazing) UI customization options so you could de-clutter your screen. I think the setting I went with only had health bars etc display in combat and the rest of the time it was just the compass. I wish more games would allow you to fine tune most, if not all elements of the UI during gameplay.

I want to play origins but I'm not the strongest in combat. I really want to go to Alexandria to see the graphics and explore but in the past I've needed help to get through certain parts BioShock infinite. How likely is it that would be too tough for me to tackle tackle on my own? I've never played any other games in the series.

It's not too hard, although if you've never played a game in the series, you might have difficulty with it.  A big part of the game is being stealthy, so if you can master that, you don't necessarily need to be great at combat.  I'm already in Alexandria and I'm only a couple of hours in.

The series itself is a pretty fun one to play.  I'd recommend starting with Syndicate.  It came out two years ago, and is based in the Industrial Revolution.  Pretty fun game, and a good primer to getting used to the series.

Guest Idioteque

Sounds like Origins might be worth picking up during holiday sale then. It takes place during my favorite time period too so it's hard to pass up unlike previous Creed games.

I finally unlocked the hidden blade that's so familiar to the series, but it took longer than I would have liked.

Like I said before, it wouldn't be so much of a culture shock to get used to if I hadn't just played Syndicate for two weeks prior to the release.  It does get easier to use as you level up.  I found the spear to be a very effective weapon.

Your experience is almost the same as my own. Post hidden blade, I feel a little better. I also went back and played Syndicate prior to release, and the fighting system is just so well developed in that game. The combat chain is what I think I feel is missing from the fighting system thus far, though I do see some of the unlockable abilities feature the word "chain".

It's actually not as bad as it looks.  You don't necessarily have to target specific body parts, or at least I haven't seen any of that.  I just hammer the shit out of them until they die.  

I hate microtransactions because you already pay enough for these games.  I don't really think you need to pay more just to unlock stuff in the game.  DLC also bugs me, but not as much.

Yes, hammering the shit out of them, once exposed does seem to be the only way. I usually try to get behind them or use the heavy attack, break their shield posture and then just hack and slash until they die.

It's not too hard, although if you've never played a game in the series, you might have difficulty with it.  A big part of the game is being stealthy, so if you can master that, you don't necessarily need to be great at combat.  I'm already in Alexandria and I'm only a couple of hours in.

The series itself is a pretty fun one to play.  I'd recommend starting with Syndicate.  It came out two years ago, and is based in the Industrial Revolution.  Pretty fun game, and a good primer to getting used to the series.

I second this. Syndicate also gives you the option of playing as two protagonists that allow you slightly different skillsets; stealth and finesse vs. brute force. Once you get the timing of the counter-attack down, it's super satisfying and relatively easy to tear through like five guys like butter through a knife.

• Upvote 1

I played through the Call of Duty: World War 2 single player campaign twice this weekend - once just to play it and experience, and a 2nd time to get all the collectibles and some trophies. It's a pretty good amount of fun and has some cool mechanics in it. 

How long was the single player campaign? I am very much a solo gameplay guy and I love WWII stuff; wondering whether it's worth it. I'll play the multiplayer, but probably not as much as most.

My first playthrough on normal difficulty was probably about 8 hours or so. Then I played it again on easy with a guide to collect all the collectible stuff and that was probably about 5 hours. I barely ever complete a game and then restart it right away to do that kind of stuff.

I'm back into playing Horizon Zero Dawn now that the DLC is out. Starting a New Game+ run, but doing it on Very Hard (I did normal on my vanilla playthrough). I am not really good at this game any more, but I'm excited to re-learn it. Gonna have to get good so I can do an Ultra Hard NG+ run to get the trophy for that. (I barely every play games on their hardest difficulty - I've finished Mass Effect 2 on Insanity once and one of the CoD on the hardest difficulty once).

Guest Idioteque

Anyone else enjoying EA's public spanking? Man.. I just want a great Star Wars game, they keep canceling games with alot of potential.

Visceral games coulda gave us the Uncharted version of Star Wars, could you imagine? Even the mechanics of Assassins Creed would be great.

I have been playing

WWE 2K18

NBA  2K18

Wheel of Fortune

Marvel Pinball

Evil Within 2

Wolfenstein 2.

All on xbox one. 

Wheel of Fortune is extremely addicting. It was bundled with Jeopardy and i have yet to try Jeopardy.

NBA 2K  gets better each year.

WWE2K is great. I never imagined some of my friends being in a video game and 2K made the dreams a reality.

Marvel Pinball is fun. A bunch of different tables  each with their own unique designs.

Evil Within 2  is as good if not better than the first.

I also played a bit of the new south park and it's fun, it's everything you would expect from South Park.

I got a Switch just after Christmas with money from Christmas and my birthday.

So I got Super Mario Odyssey and been playing that a lot collecting all them moons.

I got Zelda too just havent started it yet.

I do have a bunch of PS4 games I need to tackle as well. We'll see what calls to me next haha

over a year later and i'm still trying to finish Breath of the Wild. i'm about 190 hours in, i don't use the fast travel system very often, instead preferring to walk/ride a horse so that i am forced to explore more. i'm about half way through the current zone i'm in and there are still 2 more i've never even been to. i'm predicting 225 hours total play time by the time i'm done, spread out over 15 months.