Moonlight_Graham

What Videogame(s) Are You Playing Right Now?

Between Christmas and Boxing Day shopping, I picked up quite a few games for the PS4:

Assassin's Creed Unity

GTA V

Rocksmith 2014

Metal Gear Solid V

And also picked up Sims 4 for PC.  Unity is pretty good so far.  I like the story a lot, but if it wasn't so flawed in terms of glitches and such, it would be a great game.

Guest Idioteque

Good haul boys, I grabbed these games over christmas break:

GTA 5,
Madden 2015 (My brother plays it),
Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I've only started playing GTA 5 since I never finished it the last time I owned it for the PS3. But I heard Dragon Age is suppose to be game of the year. 

Is Grim Fandango any good? I used to play some old adventure games like Space quest 1 and 2, Police Quest 1 and 2, Golbiiins, The Longest Journey and a few others, but I never really played any of the old LucasArts games.

Grim Fandango is fabulous. Bear in mind it will have some very obtuse puzzles because it's an old adventure game, but as someone who has played Space Quest you should be okay with that.

I've purchased the Resident Evil Remake HD remaster as well as Life is Strange. Probably going to get Resident Evil 2/3 because they are super on sale on PSN and I miss those games immensely.

I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion about Final Fantasy, but I'll say that I'm surprised you didn't like 10, I personally love 8, 9 is great but not one of my favorites, the slutty 10 sequel shouldn't exist, Blitzball is actually kind of fun once you get good players and kick the crap out of other teams 10 to nothing, 12 actually had great gameplay and characters but the story was irrelevant, 11 doesn't really count, and I'm a fanboy and love all the extra things they have done with 7 (including Dirge of Cerberus the Vincent game which I find very entertaining).

Annnnnnnnnyway, yeah. 7 is the greatest thing in the world biggrin.png

Moving on...

I just beat ff vii for the.... 5th? time,

had to re-buy the game which hurt ($40 later) because i don't have a pc and can't get it on steam

But...... it was just as, if not more enjoyable this time around.... the story however, was just as confusing as ever. i think i had a greater grip on it when i beat it 3 times back to back to back like a decade ago, but i finally beat both ruby and emerald (which i kind of cheated to do, but whatever.... w-item/morph source duplication glitching is more fun then level grinding when already level grinding at level 80)

Anyways, thats my nerd rant for the day. I will say that although ffx is probably better game play wise, but style wise nothing touches ff vii for me, and the music is absolutely killer

Can a novice gamer like me play final fantasy or is it only for serious gamers?  I have been known to throw the controller across the room and begin cursing when things get too difficult.  

Shane, did you get around to playing Life is Strange? Would like to hear your thoughts. I am now eagerly awaiting episode 2 having purchased the bundle outright. Apparently it will be released sometime in March. My decision making has tended towards being a bit of a sweetheart, even to bitchy bitches, argh. 

If you have no experience with turn based RPG's then there is a bit of a learning curve.... but the game itself is not hard, and it does a good job at hand holding in the beginning if you need it. The older NES and japanese versions of SNES final fantasies are much harder, they turned down the difficulty for the north american market. If you "level up" at all in FFVII the game is laughably easy... i play them more for the story and cinematic aspect

Can a novice gamer like me play final fantasy or is it only for serious gamers?  I have been known to throw the controller across the room and begin cursing when things get too difficult.  

Shane, did you get around to playing Life is Strange? Would like to hear your thoughts. I am now eagerly awaiting episode 2 having purchased the bundle outright. Apparently it will be released sometime in March. My decision making has tended towards being a bit of a sweetheart, even to bitchy bitches, argh. 

I did get around to playing it! I really enjoyed it. I also went with the sweetheart route, because I always do a "good" playthrough when I first play games. I'm really interested in seeing how those choices/rest of the story plays out. First episode did a really good job of setting things up I think.

I just finished Dragon Age Inquisition for the first time last week using a Human Male Warrior with Longsword/axe/mace and shield. I romanced Cassandra and had her become the new Divine. I also let Morrigan absorb the ancient magic in the elvan ruins.  I am playing again with a Qunari Mage specializing in Lightening Magic and hopefully Arcane Warrior if it is available. (I'm not sure yet).  Fun game.  Origins is still the best (Story-wise, music-wise and epic-wise) however this one hands down has the best game play, though I found Dragon Age 2 to be a smoother and faster paced battle system.  All in all, great series.

Resident Evil Revelations 2 has been pretty entertaining so far. I've already sunk about 20 hours into raid mode alone. 

Also going to be playing Hotline Miami 2 - played the first few levels last night, and yep, it's Hotline Miami alright. The soundtrack is amazing once again.

Guest Idioteque

Marcella, Life is Strange is awesome, but I can't help but facepalm during half of the "hip" dialogue lol, trying way too hard with the young teen lingo.

I suggest playing Beyond:Two Souls (voiced by Ellen Page) or The Walking Dead by Telltale if you enjoy strong lead female characters & gameplay that involves having choices in what you say, clicking around and looking at stuff etc.

Edited by Idioteque

I've been playing The Last of Us online, as well as a lot of GTA Online, because I didn't really get into it when the game first came out.  I love it, but it's such a pain in the ass trying to do heists with random people who are either terrible or drop out of the game constantly.

Guest Idioteque

I've just been working on telltale games lately, "Game Of Thrones" & "Borderland" etc, the "Minecraft" one looks so stupid though.

My life will consist of "Fallout 4" & "No Man's Sky" when they get released.

Alien Isolation was one of he best games I've played. Great ambience, check it out. Ignore the dlc though.

I agree, however I found the free DLC where you are on the Nostromo to be fun.

I just played METRO 2033 REDUX. It was great!!!.  I can't wait to play the sequel when it comes on sale.  I'm currently playing Shadowrunner Returns so that I can play the Dragon DLC.  Looking forward to that.

Guest Idioteque

Get "Until Dawn" if you want to play a good horror game,

I'm playing the new Metal Gear Solid at the moment, I've wasted 3 days so far crawling around in dirt, worth. 

Guest Idioteque

I vaguely remember the storyline from playing the first couple MGS games but lost touch until this recent release, so I don't really understand why I'm fighting a guy on fire and zombies.

I know, it's pretty confusing.  I've got the game that came out a year or so ago that's kind of a prequel, but I haven't played it yet.

It's also hard because the newer games all take place before the time of the original Metal Gear Solid.  I'm pretty lost, but Wikipedia is decent help.