Moonlight_Graham

What Videogame(s) Are You Playing Right Now?

Yeah, MGS is a series that has been retconned pretty ridiculously. If you never played MGS3: Snake Eater then Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain's story is going to be a bit tough to follow. I definitely recommend the MGS HD collection on PS3 (which includes Snake Eater) because the story is fantastic (and insane like MGS stories are), but with the caveat that the controls are pretty horrible by today's standards.

The Phantom Pain is a lot of fun though. My Metal Gear Puppy is now a Metal Gear Dog with a sneaking suit and a knife that he kills people with (?!?!). Awesome.

I've tried a few times to get into Snake Eater but I find it difficult.  I should go back and play the games through in order.  

I've played Phantom Pain for a while now, but I still feel like I've barely made it anywhere in game.  Must be fairly long.

Been out for a couple of years, but I recently beat The Last of Us for the first time. It was fantastic. I wish I didn't die so much. The sequences are way more satisfying when you make it through without being detected or dying - and I usually don't like stealthy style gameplay.

Last of Us is incredible.  It's going to be such a long wait for the second one.

I gave up on Metal Gear.  Was taking way too long to get through it, and I wasn't really enjoying the game.  Traded it in and got NBA 2K16.   Kind of annoying so far.

Also got in the Rainbow Six beta.  I could barely get into a match before it dropped out.  Frustrating.

Guest Idioteque

Sounds like the video game gods are not on your side.

I've been meaning to get into NBA, I've been watching a lets play on youtube of 2K16 but it doesn't look appealing.

Side note Raptors played the Los Angeles Clippers in Vancouver for a pregame & all it did was make me miss the Grizzlies.

Also, idk if anyone knows anything about basketball (im a hockey guy myself) but why the F do players try and draw 100 fouls when they're losing, there's "How to draw fouls" on google, don't you want to avoid fouls?....

Edited by Idioteque

The game itself is good, about the same as it usually is.  The problem is the story mode.  You start off as a high school player, and progress through there, which is cool, but there are a million cut scenes telling the story.  Spike Lee apparently directed the story mode, and it is brutal.  Tons of boring cut scenes to play a few minutes per game.  It gets better once you get into your second year in the NBA.  It's much better now.

The crowd there was excellent.  I'm sure lots of people are missing having the team there, but they must not have gone to Grizzlies games that much for the team to move to Memphis.  

I love basketball, but the intentional fouls to stop the clock at the end of the game drive me crazy.  I'm assuming that's what you mean.  The game wasn't on here, but I've got the hour long version sitting on my PVR right now.

Guest Idioteque

Exactly! There will be 40 seconds left in the game and a team will be down 6 points so they purposely fouls the other team, it's so stupid & slows the momentum down. Plus the other team gets free throws & you get fouls added onto your record.

Also diving can drive me nuts, just play the game!

But yeah I've seen some of the cut-scenes and they make me cringe.

It's to stop the clock.  If you're winning, and have the ball with 40 seconds left, you can run down the clock and take 24 seconds off the game by just holding it for the shot clock duration.  So the losing team intentionally fouls or at least tries to aggressively strip the ball.  It gives the other team the chance to score more baskets, but you get the ball back right away with little time lost.  

It doesn't work most of the time, but it's better than watching the clock die I guess.  The losing team has to go for a three, and the defence knows it, so they pressure the shot, and it usually misses.

I thought you were talking about some players who intentionally try to get fouled when taking a shot.  They go up to shoot and basically try to throw themselves at the defence.  Derozan from the Raptors does it all the time, and it drives me crazy, like soccer players flopping.

Still playing much Metal Gear Solid 5.

Played the demo for Assault Android Cactus on Steam and it was really fun! Will probably pick it up soon because it's fun and also because one of my friends voices a character in it!

Also really want to pick up Undertale.

Guest Idioteque

Waiting for the Star Wars Battlefront Beta. Has anyone seen the recent gameplay? Looks pretty awesome, just hoping the full game isn't chopped up into DLCs.

Guest Idioteque

Mad Max is only worth it if you have time to sit down and play in long stretches, lots of grinding to be able to unlock things for your character & car before the game start to become fun. It's only semi-based on the movie too so you're getting a brand new story which is awesome. 

Guest Idioteque

Oh yeah that's more than enough time. I just know a few friends who play 30 minutes-1 hour & complain nothing is happening in a video game, you gotta put in the work! But you should have no problem getting into the game, maybe wait till around Christmas for the price to drop and get a deal. 

Guest Idioteque

For the first time in years I've been craving to play Assassins Creed but I only have 3 (Black Flag?) & another with the main character being a blonde pretty boy.

I think what killed that series for me (not only the downfall in game quality over the years because it's run by a terrible company) is the second storyline about the matrix & how you're that annoying Ben Stiller look alike going back in time yada yada. Just got confusing.

Like Metal Gear Solid, when you just wanna play a good army stealth game then a guy on flames is chasing you & creepy zombies are fighting you... so confusing.

THE MAIN POINT IS FALLOUT 4 IS COMING OUT SOON WOO!!

Spent all weekend playing Syndicate.  It's an excellent game to pick up if you're a fan of the series.  All of the good stuff from previous titles, without much negative.  The story is entertaining, and the twin protagonists are compelling.

I'm waiting until next year after all the DLC comes out and it's released w/ the main game as the inevitable Game of the Year edition for the same priecs as the base game is now. Also, because I'll be playing on PC, there will be a whole spattering of wicked mods by that point too.

Too many! But here are the top 3.

Wii U: Yoshi's Woolly World- Great platformer, and tons of personality. I didn't think I would like the yarn look but it's grown on me.

PS4: The Witcher 3- I've played all the previous games and read the books. This game does any amazing job of telling a story and bridging that gap between book and game. Can't get enough of the characters and doing quests actually means something! Meaning you don't do some little fetch quest just to level up. Each quest is like a little (or big) story.

PC: Fallout: New Vegas- I bought this so long ago and I figured I should finish it. Love the series and have Fallout 4, but I made a promise to myself to finish New Vegas before starting another Fallout.

Edited by Hired Goomba

PC: Fallout: New Vegas- I bought this so long ago and I figured I should finish it. Love the series and have Fallout 4, but I made a promise to myself to finish New Vegas before starting another Fallout.

That's funny, I was just about to do the same.  I'm playing Fallout 3 right now in Steam.