scott lucas of local h fame has some solo stuff out that's good

mew -

mewithout you - ehhh i'm not super into them but people like em' and they have a different sound.

pelican - instrumental think tool but no vocals

russian circles - really dig these guys against intrumental jam rock heavy but not too heavy.

neutral milk hotel - aeroplane.. - it took me a REALLY REALLY long time to come around but this cd's been on a lot lately. i still have trouble with the lyrics but the music is solid.

Edited by prototypepariah

I checked a few tracks out by them, and they sounded just like every other post rock band. (And by "every other" I mean "the few that I've listened to" which is mainly GSY!BE, Explosions, and God is an Astronaut)

Some experimental/post-rock bands that are new to me and I love:

Pelican

Russian Circles

65daysofstatic

This Will Destroy You

russian circles is cool. Pelican is pretty good but it's idk repetitive in a bad way. Russian circles is like a hard rock/metal/whatever symphony, they are really great at changing the tempo and mood.

Pelican kinda sounds just like jamming w/o words. Which is great too..

I'm gonna check out the other two bands.

godspeed or explosions are maybe similar in concept, but they are much much more mellow. and godspeed is very experimental sounding, much more like mogwai than Mr. circles.