you should not touch (remix, re-record, cover)?

they are seen as just perfect, it would be like walking into the Vatican and telling them the "truth" about how Jesus never existed, or walking into the White House and telling them that they fabricated the 9/11 attacks

some examples I can think of are The Beatles.....and....well, just The Beatles. I have a very good remix of Smells Like Teen Sprits, but I can thik of a few people who would get up and leave the room, pissed that somebody would even touch the awesomeness that was Nirvana.

ok, open thread.

i concur. no band is untouchable.

however, i will say that certain bands don't really get anything positive out of remixes.

for example, if you remix anything by Default....

you just get Nickelback.

As an electronic music fan, remixes are my bread 'n butter, and I love 'em. I've got some really amazing remixes, including a few rock songs that you wouldn't expect.

And often pop music, such as Britney Spears becomes far more dynamic and palatable when remixed.

And often pop music, such as Britney Spears becomes far more dynamic and palatable when remixed.

good point. and when i said "rock" some more modern, popular rock bands like franz ferdinand or... metric easily lend themselves to being remixed and it sounds alright... but i would not entertain the idea of a... led zeppelin remix. or a bob dylan remix.

I'm gonna say that Guns N' Roses shouldn't be covered. Not because I think Guns N' Roses is the best thing in the world, but because anyone who tries will just sound like an asshole trying to sing like Axl, and they will in turn be failing miserably.

Edited by Gomo

I have heard some really bad versions of Pearl Jam, and Rush, and Soundgarden. Chris Cornell is the only one who can sound like Chris Cornell back in the Soundgarden days. The same goes for Rush and Pearl Jam, vocals are hard to do, as well with Rush, it is just too complex to play, there is only one Neil Peart.

I'm gonna say that Guns N' Roses shouldn't be covered. Not because I think Guns N' Roses is the best thing in the world, but because anyone who tries will just sound like an asshole trying to sing like Axl, and they will in turn be failing miserably.

I have heard some really bad versions of Pearl Jam, and Rush, and Soundgarden. Chris Cornell is the only one who can sound like Chris Cornell back in the Soundgarden days. The same goes for Rush and Pearl Jam, vocals are hard to do, as well with Rush, it is just too complex to play, there is only one Neil Peart.

I've heard some horrid attempts at Guns 'n' Roses songs....by other 80s hair metal bands....not so good.

Prince and the Revolution actually has a quality cover band, Purple Reign.

it should be pointed out though that not everyone who covers an artist is trying to sound like the original.

so yes, i agree that covering a band in order to replicate that band's sound will often come off as disastrous and lame. i think cover bands are a different story though. they're conforming to a sound, whereas... some regular, run of the mill band that tries to pull off g'n'r might not have put as much thought into it. does that make sense? i think a g'n'r cover band would at least be required to sound somewhat like the original band. whether they do it successfully or not is something else, but if the dude's voice can't even hit the same register as axl's could, then they're not going to last very long anyways.

also, i think that some tool could be covered just fine, (particularly their earlier stuff) regardless of whether the band was a tool cover band or not. i don't see why someone couldn't do "cold and ugly" justice.

yeah. i think they covered "sober" or something.

so did baldy from staind:

cliiiiiiichheeeeeeeeeee.

no fucking way could he handle something like "ticks and leeches."

these guys do alright, but that's probably because no one is trying to sing:

oh, and there's this:

Edited by borntohula

i didn't watch the first two yet because i was too intrigued by dude's sewing circle shirt. i had to go in for the gold first. man. i am having a lot of trouble organizing my thoughts. seriously, goggles? rubber gloves? a straight face? amazing.

that kinda made me sick...Those gloves are so scary it's like he's gonna kill whomever is behind the camera(don't hurt your mom's cat man please!)

are there any decent Cure cover bands? Or is the Cure untouchable?

Definitely not...There are a ton of cure covers and usually they are solid. Which I think is a testament to how good the cure is as opposed to how good the other bands are making it. I can't find a link but there are a few hardcore bands that do cure songs and they are usually very neat.

In short covers are awesome, hearing your favorite bands rework songs you love is great. Now "cover bands" meh...

Infact speaking of tool and the cure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no61nfOKRTc - i think this is a great cover.

and speaking of the Britster toxic + wolf like me from tv on the radio as done by one of my favorite bands local h(maybe the king of covers) - local h used to come out on halloween and play as nirvana they have a very impressive(read very long) list of covers. Plus it's a 2 piece band!

i don't think i've ever heard a tool cover. who covered tool?

breaking benjamin does often off the top of my head...I know a few bands that do it.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type...cover&aq=f- doing stinkfist, sober, aenema, and undertow.