Gomo

Plane Crash Near Buffalo, Ny

if you compared car accidents to plane accidents and the phobias people seem to have of either, the really aren't proportional. car accidents happen every second of everyday and few people fear getting into a car. plane accidents are far rarer and millions of people are scared of flying.

that said, i'm not above the fear of flying myself. i'm not terrified, more anxious. i've only been on a plane 5 times, once in an open cockpit plane, once from ottawa to toronto, once from ottawa to sarnia (with a connecting flight - so 5.5. times), and then to mexico and back. they are few and far between, but the return trip from mexico was nothing. just like getting into a car. s'pose my last flight was recent enough that i didn't have to have any anxieties.

if you compared car accidents to plane accidents and the phobias people seem to have of either, the really aren't proportional. car accidents happen every second of everyday and few people fear getting into a car. plane accidents are far rarer and millions of people are scared of flying.

While I don't disagree with any of that, I think it's because it's far less likely you'll survive in a plane crash than in a car crash.

On a serious note. I am from Buffalo NY and I live only 2-3 miles away from where the plane crashed. Last night coming home from work I saw all the police cars and fire trucks go off the same exit I do when driving home from work. I never felt so scared in my life thinking something really terrible happened to my parents and the apt complex I live in. Only to find out the crash was 2-3 miles away I never felt so relieved. That plane would have crashed near me if it kept going because all planes from Clarence Center use that flight path. I am deeply saddened by these events, and will never forget how close I almost lost people I truly love.

ya thats nuts, glad everything's alright too.

I used to post on a baseball message board several years ago. Like from 2000-2004. On 9/11 a man who posted on the forums regularily worked in the WTC & died that day when the towers came down. That was pretty crazy.

Oh, and i heard that Canada Geese are the birds that took down that plane that landed on the Hudson. Go Canada!!!

my boss lives about 200 feet away from the crash site. his family didn't sleep a wink that night, but thankfully they're alright. and the wife of one of my old professors was on the plane. i feel really bad for him, because he's such a pleasant guy who now has to deal with something so horrible.

but if there's one thing the people of Buffalo can do and do well, it's gather around and support those who are affected by this. it's something you take one day at a time.

ya thats nuts, glad everything's alright too.

I used to post on a baseball message board several years ago. Like from 2000-2004. On 9/11 a man who posted on the forums regularily worked in the WTC & died that day when the towers came down. That was pretty crazy.

Oh, and i heard that Canada Geese are the birds that took down that plane that landed on the Hudson. Go Canada!!!

Back in 2001 I often thought about how many people I potentially saw on the bus or at the train station daily that may have died on 9/11.

I don't know, however...the streets of my neighborhood are all named after fallen firefighters who have connections to the event and the streets.

I fucking hate these kinds of tragedies...

Edited by Gomo

What terrifies me is the day our subway system gets fucked with. We're screwed if that ever happens. It baffles me how fragile that system is and how much damage it could do to New Yorkers.

When I fly out of NY I get a little nervous, but the chances of a crash happening are still slim.

I fly a lot these days, and it doesn't bother that much anymore. But I do think that we can't ever lose our respect for flight. People die because someone gets complacent. This is true with cars too... people get complacent, they drive to fast or push the limits. Planes are machines, and they can fail. If people stop respecting that it takes hundreds of working systems to lift several tons of metal from the ground, then planes crash. There are events beyond the control of anybody, but we can be vigilant and prepared for them.

We flew home from Cali on Saturday AM, so Friday night watching this whole thing on the news was a little unnerving for the girl's mom. I've been on over 600 flights if not more in the last 16 years, I still get anxious on take off, and relax as soon as we're in the air. My heart goes out to the families that are touched by this.

Dan, I'm so very sorry that this hit so close to home for you, and am truly glad that your family and home are safe. Next trip to Buffalo, beer on me.

So early reports seemed to indicate there was a breach of protocol by the pilot of the aircraft (flying with the autopilot on in bad weather). I guess it turns out that the autopilot will correct for the additional drag up to the point where the plane can no longer fly, but it doesn't give enough feedback to the crew. I'm sure we'll know more sooner or later.