sodamntired

Swine Flu

When viruses mutate, it is to avoid being eradicated so this is highly unlikely.

Any pandemic needs to be taken seriously, but the media seems to be doing more harm than good. I am sick of people trying to hoard Tamiflu when they haven't even been to Mexico. I have to work all weekend to so I'm sure the hysteria will be even more heigthened and my job will be awesome.

Yeah, people are stealing masks from work. It's not that big of a deal yet. I doubt it'll be that bad. But then again, I'm not a doctor or someone who... well, anyway, just what I think.

When viruses mutate, it is to avoid being eradicated so this is highly unlikely.

Sure, it's just one of the theories "they" have put forward for the relatively low fataility rate (read: zero) so far outside of Mexico/Mexicans. I was under the impression that viruses were generally mutating all the time whether they were under attack or not. The mutants that happen to survive an attack because they've accidentally found an immunity to treatment then become the new strain. But viruses also don't have any sentient mutation strategy. Becoming more resistant to treatment is a lucky coincidence on the part of the virus, and whether it become more or less destructive on a per-patient basis doesn't really enter in to it. Killing the host isn't really the goal. Extremely lethal diseases with short incubation times tend to burn out and annihilate themselves before they can spread very far. As a species, the virus would be better off not doing it. I'm not a biologist and have no medical background, so maybe there is some mechanism that tends to increase lethality and drug resistance in tandem, but in evolutionary terms it seems self-defeating. Granted, one could call drug resistance a factor in lethality.

Regardless. A few months down the road, everyone will either be annoyed at how out of proportion things were blown, or the survivors will look over a ruined world, and stand in awe of life imitating movies. The whole 'the scientists said it would be ok' scenario. Huzzah!

i kinda understand the hype. they had to plan for the worst case scenario, i.e. this virus is sweeping the country like the plague and we need to stop it now. the best case/what seems to be the case is that (from what i've read) is that its no more harmless than the regular flu, which does kill many people each year but can be treated.

the issue is that they definitely knew within a rather short period of time what this disease was about. within a couple of days, they had to have had this virus mapped out and knew exactly what it would do. and then they causes hysteria anyway.

at any rate, i'm pretty likely to survive (from what i read) if the virus made its way to my neighbourhood.

They're not too interested - that is our media, maybe you're a bit more level-headed over in Canada - in anything which doesn't add to the interest (read interest as panic, hysteria, paranoia and so on), after all they've got papers to be selling and news channels to be filling with stuff; so even when faced with quotes by the Mexican Health Minister equating the mortality rate with that of a common flu they're still printing/reporting on the next case like the end is nigh. Arsed.

ours are doing that too but its really just to catch the eye of the public. for example, if you listen to any news talk show in canada, your worries would immediately be taken care of. there are experts and 'experts' dispelling this shit left and right... the truth is out there.

yeah i don't like the hoarding much either. nor do i understand why the flu shot is being sold as a preventive measure, or vaccine against swine flu.

also, i don't understand why the price of bacon hasn't even dropped a smidge. come on.

also, i don't understand why the price of bacon hasn't even dropped a smidge. come on.

i would think the price of bacon would go up. less pigs = less supply of bacon for not-much-less-than-usual demand. especially once current reserves are used. but pigs are like bunnies in terms of turnover so new baby piggies will be ready to eat in no time.

the War in Iraq is a success....so shouldn't Gas be going down?????

more propaganda by right wing conspiracies.

Babe started all this.

ooh, I don't want to eat Bacon, they're so cute. I want a Pig.

Pot belly pigs ARE fuckin cute, i also want one.... i also heard a rumor that firemen tend to dislike bacon and pork related products because when cooking they seem to smell too similar to charred human... urban legend maybe?

That's amazing. ;)

"I don't advocate anarchy in any way, but I saw him scratch a rash...and I had to grab an axe."

The zombie-spin conveniently leaves out the fact that victims don't do any thing other than become ill and die.

We've now got an advert and pamphlets about it.