finboy

Anyone Else Wish The Streaming Album Had A Pause Button?

As otherwise commented, the iPhone version has a pause. You could mine out the actual stream location and open it in QuickTime.

Actually, I lie, you can't get the steam source from the website directly, you would have to be more crafty. Unfortunately there are other implications to the process, and I'm not comfortable being the nature of those kind of instructions.

Good luck with that though...

No, no flash on the phone.

Quicktime is a native format for the phone (and Mac's in general), so the choice makes sense.

Pretty lame that Apple and Adobe haven't sorted that out. I knew the first gen didn't have it, but by the 3Gs I figured it would be all golden.

My concern with using quicktime is its complete lack of security features. Certainly not the safest format to share a pre-release of an album with. Tis a great format otherwise, just not sure if i agree with this usage. Though, again, not being sure what else the iPhone is capable of, i would be at a loss to offer any suitable alternatives.

Nonetheless, with the street date coming really soon it doesn't matter all that much.

Pretty lame that Apple and Adobe haven't sorted that out. I knew the first gen didn't have it, but by the 3Gs I figured it would be all golden.

My concern with using quicktime is its complete lack of security features. Certainly not the safest format to share a pre-release of an album with. Tis a great format otherwise, just not sure if i agree with this usage. Though, again, not being sure what else the iPhone is capable of, i would be at a loss to offer any suitable alternatives.

Nonetheless, with the street date coming really soon it doesn't matter all that much.

Security? Anyone can record the sound coming out of their computer, bypassing any "security". The stream isn't encrypted anyways, so your point is moot.

Also, Flash sucks.

No, security is a legitimate concern. Quicktime doesn't support encrypted streaming or endpoint authentication. Yes, you can always record it. In fact, you can always highjack the data stream between the decoding application and the system driver. The point would more be that security measures make the process of creating a copy either a) detrimental to the quality, or b) technically complex.

I agree flash sucks. I would assert that mp4 is the choice file, as the servers for it are available for free. wmv and it's ilk are licensed.

I agree flash sucks. I would assert that mp4 is the choice file, as the servers for it are available for free. wmv and it's ilk are licensed.

Flash is a fantastic tool for both programming and multimedia. I think what you were trying to say was "Flash's embedded audio encoding sounds awful at low bitrates" but then again so does everything else. Lucky for you, the Flash player is just linking to an MP3 file, whose location is readily available.

As for your incorrect assertions on file types, since the preview just being served via a web server, all file types are free, providing you have a player for them. Outside of the Apple community, MP4 support is not yet as prevalent as MP3, so I would argue MP3 is the choice format. Streaming using the MMS protocol requires a Windows server, but hosting the files for HTTP download (as is being done with the album preview) can be done with any server with no charge (other than bandwidth costs).

Don't mean to start a nerd war, just making sure facts are straight!

No, really, flash sucks. I believe it is one of the worst things to happen to the internet ever. Programming in flash is a joke. But I write C on embedded systems on a daily basis, so I have a slightly requirement of what classifies as a programming language. I question a lot of the value of flash in most situations.

You are correct and not. Yes, if the stream isn't really a stream then you can serve any file on a free HTTP. Windows machines can create wmv's with no jazz required. For a Mac you need to buy a license for a quicktime component to save wmv (note that Matt uses a mac). That being said, in a streaming environment my statements still stand.