Review of Backspacer:

The album opens and closes great, and has a nice power pop, punk vibe to it. I have never been able to listen to a full Pearl Jam album from start to finish like this since Vitalogy. Eddies vocals on some of the tracks are some of the best he has ever done. The End is the best closing song for the band since Release, Indifference, and Immortality from the 1st albums. Overall I rate the CD highly, and it sure to be one of the best of 2009.

The End is the best closing song for the band since Release, Indifference, and Immortality from the 1st albums.

I guess you're not counting Hey Foxymophandlemama, That's Me as a song then, as that's the last track on Vitalogy, not Immortality.

I agree Backspacer is a great album (but then, I like everything they've released, some albums just took longer for me to get into). This is definitely one of their most 'accessible' albums, and although they've done uplifting songs before, this is probably the first 'feel good' album they've made (the first time I heard The Fixer on the radio, I was already singing along by the second chorus). While it builds on the back-to-basics rock and roll of Avocado (self-titled), it's definitely less angry and lyrically is focused less on politics/the outside world and more on the personal.

Edited by Devil On Rollerskates

What fan of music wouldn't like to watch their favourite artist play a 4 hour gig?

doesn't make sense to me.

i was at the "last" pumpkins show in december of 2000 and it was 4.5 hours long and was magnificent.

if you're a pearl jam fan, this album is well worth it. i need to go out and buy it asap.

what concerts do they give you?

If Matt played a 4 hour concert, I'd donate my organs immediately afterward...there would be nothing cool left to see after that.

The new Pearl Jam....only heard two tracks, I'm liking it so far.

Edited by bishopx

Yes, another great album! It took a couple listens to warm up to this one (kind of like their last self titled album). I was always a fan Mike McCready's guitar style and solos, but I feel this album is missing a bit of his traditional style and talent...although Amongst the Waves has a cool riff in it. All in all, Eddie's vocals brings things together to make a pretty solid album.

Its a grat album, and an excellent cover to cover listen, however i still don't hear any classics on this one. i think the last classic form Pearl Jam was either Given to Fly or Do the Evolution off Yield. Bakcspacer is their best effort since that.

Very few bands compare to Pearl Jam, who still do not come close to 4 hour concerts. they play a solid 2 hour set though ;)