bishopx

Stargate Universe It Looks Awesome, What Do You Think?

As I predicted the show is getting more and more awesome. I was totally impressed by the last episode. Character driven, I really like that.

Totally disagree there, this weeks episode for me was brutal, calling it predictable is an insult to predictable. I hate hate hate hate it when you put your cast/plot in peril when it's 100% nothing will come of it. To make a whole episode where you know somehow they will save the day...meh pass...The whole episode was made worthwhile by the mess hall scene in the end. Even if that isn't the way the show goes; with baby baltar being a bad guy, trying to rid the ship of people so he can be a superstar pariah(see what I did there!) it's a great seed to plant going forward. It's kinda irking me to not at least mention other scientists coming to the ship to help decode or problem solve via the stones. It seems like such an obvious choice given the circumstances, at least no lou diamond this time around !

That said I like the characters as well as the cast during the episode. I really like the MIT kid. I wish they could just move them forward WITH The plot moving forward as well. SOOO many things, concepts ideas could be explored why burn a whole episode on some nonsense about running into a freaking sun.

Yes I agree the episode was predictable, but it gave the characters a chance to shine...What should have happened was that they sent only minor characters on the shuttle...that would have made it less predictable at that end. I dig baby Baltar, he's not as vain as Baltar, and removing the lust component, it makes him more interesting. I do agree about the stones being used for getting scientific help, I have to figure they'll force that on Dr. Rush eventually, and that should be quite character and story defining moment.

Can I safely assume that since there is any discussion on this show that I should maybe watch it? I kind of bailed on it entirely when they announced they were aiming for a younger audience back at the beginning of the year.

FWIW, I don't see anything being aimed at a younger audience, unless one draws a conclusion that the sex appeal is meant for younger viewers. The plot is less serialized that previous incarnations of SG. Throw out the last episode and it's been really good, hoping it keeps up the good work.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1286039/board/flat/150761576

I thought this was an interesting thread from the imdb boards about the show. The OP's points to me seem valid, the criticism has some good points(risk to reward finding a few people, and a beat up ship) but most of it is pretty weak. Since the inital technology(the 9th chevron) was important enough to find.

I just sat down to finally watch this. I've watched the first 5 episodes.

I'm kind of torn. The show is substantially more character based than it's predecessors (SGA was more character based than SG1, and I wouldn't say I'm huge into SGA). I find a couple of things really annoying. There were a couple of plot jumps that annoyed me. I'm kind of interested to see if they ever feel the need to tie the technology all back together, or explain exactly how they solved the whole dialing problem. They seem to have a need in the writing to make Reed an unliked character by hooking in things I'm not a fan of that. They mix it up with predictable set pieces, sometimes they twist it... that's not too bad.

I would also like to say that 5 episodes is the fastest I've ever felt just a little betrayed by a show... I'm sure that's a hook they are going for, but I'm also sure that it's going to bug me the whole time.

I'll probably follow it to the end of the season... I'm not sure how far they can go with it.

Sorry, that was a stream of consciousness...

toadman - i'd love to hear you expand your thoughts a bit.

I'd like to know how 10k years prior they had 9 chevrons and until now they couldn't figure out how to use it, with all the databases and information they have amassed. Seems really outlandish the ancients would have not left some info. OR continued using the sequence of 9. But i'm willing to disregard that at the present. Also with all the knowledge passed down and if I recall correctly a device that read minds SG command should be able to find a star chart and use someones memories to get an IDEA of where they are, especially over a few months of travel. It's also kinda silly to have a galaxy moving friendly group of people in the asguard not mentioned.

I thought last nights episode was the best yet. The ship dialing home was SEMI plausible. I even considered it a way to switch up the lesser cast members. But the character conflicts/drama/development were really solid. In the end when beck lied to get big lou off the ship, that was solid too. Love RD anderson getting screen time, it's a nice tie in and helps bring the plot together. It would be a good call to see Beau bridges in a role for a second since he's still at SG command i'd imagine.

I don't know how long the show can stand on a premise of trying to get home giving the multitude of reasons they should be able figure out. When you watched voyager(if you did) it made perfect sense in their universe that it wouldn't be possible barring some outside force that they likely wouldn't detect. In SG there is so many more mentions to moving across multiple galaxies and what not it's hard to believe they won't figure it out right quick.

I like what both of you said. Personally, I believe the last episode may be the best one of all. The whole stone/transference thing really took center stage...I like how the distance changed their perspectives on the lives they led. In particular the whole thing with the colonels and the colonel's wife...that is a total grandslam on plot twists.

I'll have more later.

I think were gonna have a mind-F### next week, the previews seem to reveal a little something about colonel and his x? wife and good olde lou diamond. It would make a lot of sense since it doesn't when to the wife she's bonking a stranger who's thoughts happen to be her husbands.

I love the stones, and it's a great plot device BUT it's a pretty big deal killer to the main premise of the show which is people trapped on a ship. The stones just give SOOOOOOO many outlets for idea's and knowledge. They've gotta abandon one or the other, imo.

I liked the dialogue and the acting, eli was tip top. The paradox-ish plot was kinda cool until the end. I'd have liked to have left it with just the senators daughter dead, that would have been clever, and left you wondering. Frankly I thought she was done I was pretty shocked. Once 5 regulars got killed off the only outcome was "deus ex machina" oh boy solar flares, flying squid, and salty water : ) see ya next week!

The end of the episode and the coming attractions for next week seem to pretty off. The ending, to me, implies some sort of explanation. The seemingly indifferent response to such a mind fuck was disappointing. Maybe i'm being too harsh, and don't appreciate the character drama, at the expense of the "plot." But you left the episode off with like this maybe we won't make it ending, kinda a cliff hanger. Then you see coming attractions with people that just may have died.

wow, I was dreading watching tonights episode after seeing the coming attractions. then hearing flogging fucking molly(who i like) was really a turn off, so out of place. BUT!!! at the end of the episode I was blown away. It was so good..probably my favorite of the show. Save the lesbo scene, seemed a bit melodramatic. I really liked ending the episode with finishing "the worst day since yesterday" that was cool and surprising.

not sure how I feel about show having so much "main stream" music going back to atlantis.

Truthfully, I thought the Flogging Molly song was perfect. It totally set up the theme of the show. By far it was the most emotionally stirring episode. The whole thing with the Lt's kid damned near broke my heart. The Col. whupping Telfer's ass was the excellence. The girlfriend cried during the Lesbian thing, I thought it was very touching, a little over acted...but Ming Na was like that on ER as well.

We watched the season finale this morning. I was impressed...leaving Dr. Rush on the planet...totally didn't see that coming...impressive to say the least. All in all it was a good start for the series... We were both expecting this to be a total blue stones bullshit explanation of Telfer being behind the whole murder cover up thing. Total misdirection.