bishopx

Stargate Universe It Looks Awesome, What Do You Think?

We watched the season finale this morning. I was impressed...leaving Dr. Rush on the planet...totally didn't see that coming...impressive to say the least. All in all it was a good start for the series... We were both expecting this to be a total blue stones bullshit explanation of Telfer being behind the whole murder cover up thing. Total misdirection.

Really??!?!?! I was sure it was rush from like 5 seconds in, it just made sense. I didn't know it was the season finale, lame it was short too 9? episodes?

All in all I like the show, but personally I'd rather hear more about space adventure, than personal drama plotted on a spaceship. It's close, the characters are portrayed well, and the acting is solid. The show just kinda gets lost on 25 minutes of dialogue and 16 minutes of thin, quick "action" I get the vibe a lot of BSG fans are disappointed by the lower level of dialogue compared to BSG and that most SG fans are into campy one and out scripts. I don't see that changing and I don't see this show lasting too much longer as currently scripted. One thing that SG really lacks in is fleshing out stories about the millions of other civilizations that are/might be out there. It's such a fascinating and really endless resource that all the SG shows just fail to tap into, I really don't get why. They abuse the idea of putting their cast in peril, when ultimately you know everyone will be alright. SGU hasn't done that a ton thankfully.

I miss TNG, everything about it...sigh...I loved the episodes where there was a mystery to be solved that didn't automatically put people in peril. You had characters developed without stopping the plot, or having arcs of just interpersonal drama like on DS9. Epic, beautiful characters. Even the fringe characters you loved/hated. Troy's mom, Gi'nan? Q!! the list goes on...

I'm actually glad it was only 9 episodes, it'll give them some time to fix some of the holes. It was a good start though. I agree that there definitely needs to be more action.

I also miss TNG, it was the best Sci-fi TV of them all, the writing, the characters, the tech, it was just enthralling. I even liked wesley, I just preferred that he not save the day all the time.

I'm actually glad it was only 9 episodes, it'll give them some time to fix some of the holes. It was a good start though. I agree that there definitely needs to be more action.

I also miss TNG, it was the best Sci-fi TV of them all, the writing, the characters, the tech, it was just enthralling. I even liked wesley, I just preferred that he not save the day all the time.

Hopefully they do look at some of the logic flaws and can intermingle some more action into the show. Especially some action that doesn't revolve around the stones or drama amongst themselves. I read there was gonna be some plot by the lucen alliance to take over the ship. I'm SO glad that didn't happen.

Alas the more I think about the show, and how they don't know where they are etc etc, the less sense it makes. The ancients are billed as these super smart, industrious people. I just can't see how they'd have an unmanned ship, but not have any mention of it, or how to find it in their database. Then I ask why the ship is so big if it's unmanned, and why would there be no mention of how to use the 9th chevron. Too many times the "ancient database" was used to move a plot forward or solve some otherwise impossible riddle. Now it's like well...it's just a mystery. meh..off my soapbox.

while I feel a lot of the soapbox stuff I moaned about in previous posts still applies, I just realized the show came back the first three new episodes aka 11-13 have been really good. 13 especially. It's nice to see some "new" stuff in the sng world.

really really blown away by hearing brand new..although in general the song of the week is kinda meh.

yep, it's a solid episode. Kinda..only kinda bummed to see old enemies, the way they did it was cool. They' given themselves a lot of angles to explore in the coming seasons it seems like finally after 15 years of trying STG has figured out how to make a truly compelling show.

The only thing, for me, has been the reliance on "impossible" situation of the week, and how easily the conflict has been resolved. Obviously you aren't gonna kill of a main character let alone two or three at once, so trying to use that as the plot is lame. But overall the shows been really good and interesting.

I have been too damned busy to catch it, I'm going watch it on the web to catch up. I'm glad you guys are seeing the light with it though. I knew it was bound to get better.

I have been too damned busy to catch it, I'm going watch it on the web to catch up. I'm glad you guys are seeing the light with it though. I knew it was bound to get better.

That's not a spoiler... I'm pretty sure I have no idea what you are talking about, so it's spoiled nothing for me. I'm an episode behind... but I thought we were talking about the first season.

There are plenty of things I don't like, but the fact I don't like them means they are doing it right. There are plenty of things where they are taking the road less travelled.

the show went on break...sg has done that for a while going back to atlantis. they will show the final 10 episodes in spring. I'm not sure if they have shot those episodes and it will run as if it weren't canceled? or if it will be altered due to the cancellation.

I wonder if the show could get picked up somewhere else? I don't really see a major or other minor cable network doing it. Would people watch it if it were exclusively online? and pay via commercials or something?

they've been showing in canada too about a day after syfy. last week's episode was great but i'm so disappointed that this is going to end on a cliff hangar. the stargate atlantis movie looks like its been scrapped too ;)