Third Eye Blind - Out of the Vein

MG - Vancouver

The soundtrack to our Lives - Behind the Music

Elbow - Leaders of the Free World

Athlete - Tourist

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Counting Crows - Saturday nights and Sunday Mornings

James Morrison - Songs for You Truths for Me

I find it interesting that (at least as far as I can see) not one person put a single Nine Inch Nails album in any of their top 10 lists. I suck at making lists like this, so I'm not gonna try, but at the very least, Downward Spiral, and possibly Year Zero would be in there.

(Whoops, I see 'here is no why' put The Fragile in there...but still...)

Edited by umdesch4

Yeah, also no Bjork. I'd have to include something like Homogenic, 'cuz when that came out, I listened to it way too many times for my own mental health. Then again, I dunno if I'd put it above anything others have chosen...which is why I suck at top 10 lists, and won't do one.

personally i do not think Nirvana has stood the test of time.

neither do I, that was my point, they were there at the right place at the right moment, but they just aren't as great as popular media and critics make them out to be... and that kinda proved it, but not really cause we're not that many people but yea, you see where I'm coming from

Thrush Hermit - Clayton Park (1998)

Watchmen - Silent Radar (1998)

Weezer - Blue Album (1994)

It seems I really dig Canadian artists. How 'bout you folks?

I never thought anyone would post Thrush Hermit here; I'm a huge Plaskett fan and of most things Canadian. And I'm not even going to attempt this during my lunch, this might take half the afternoon.

Seriously, if you haven't listened to Tangiers: Never Bring You Pleasure (2004), do yourself an honestagoodness favour and find it.

Screw it, you won't find it... here it is. They've disbanded anyway.

thanks for the tangiers link. i had heard about them back in the day, but was never really curious enough to listen. i've only listened once now, and i approve. not amazing stuff, but the songs are well written and i like the singer's delivery.

I find it interesting that (at least as far as I can see) not one person put a single Nine Inch Nails album in any of their top 10 lists. I suck at making lists like this, so I'm not gonna try, but at the very least, Downward Spiral, and possibly Year Zero would be in there.

for me, downward spiral is a great album, but it unfortunately came out in 1994, along with a whole slew of other albums that also rank very highly in my books. portishead's dummy, jawbox's for your own special sweetheart, jeff buckley's grace, blur's parklife, and beck's one foot in the grave all came out that year as well, and the latter album is probably one of my most favourite albums of all time, and definitely had to bump NIN out of the top spot for '94.

Yeah, also no Bjork. I'd have to include something like Homogenic, 'cuz when that came out, I listened to it way too many times for my own mental health. Then again, I dunno if I'd put it above anything others have chosen...which is why I suck at top 10 lists, and won't do one.

i'm not really surprised, given the kind of people who make up the majority of this forum. most of us are guys, in our twenties, and have an irritating soft spot for grunge. but top 10 lists of this scope and magnitude are always going to have blind-spots. i think that there's no bjork says a lot about us, but it also just says something about the inadequacies of organizing things in lists of 10. relating to my comment above, in any given year, there are dozens of albums worthy of being #1, and making that final decision is usually the equivalent of a coin toss. i could've put any number of albums on that list, in any order, and still be satisfied with what i chose.

personally i do not think Nirvana has stood the test of time.

have you listened to the radio lately? they're one of the few bands that hasn't released a new album this decade who manage to still get tonnes of radio play. so i'd say that people's love for them has definitely stood the test of time. even if you were saying their music hasn't stood the test of time, i'd question your ear and tell you to go back and listen to in utero.

i think nirvana, as far as reputation is concerned, went through a period where everyone loved them, realized that everyone else loved them, and then immediately backed off on their nirvana-love-fest as it was uncool to like a band that were so ubiquitous in music. nirvana weren't amazing, and definitely were over-praised, but they were a solid band and had an amazing ability to synthesize so many disparate elements of post-punk. you can hear so many bands in their sound, and it works. i think they stand out for me, still, as part of that whole 'grunge' period because they were a counterpoint to the movement that supposedly popularized. lyrically and musically, they didn't dwell in the kind of dumb violent machismo world of someone like eddie vedder (who certainly improved with time), layne stayley or scott weiland (not so much). which is impressive, and that alone is worth noting.

From the 00s:

David Gilmour - Live at Gdansk

Placebo - Meds

Nine Inch Nails- With Teeth

Blue October - Foiled

Muse - Black Holes and Revelations

Rammstein - Mutter

Live - V

Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

Eddie Vedder - Into the Wild

Serj Tankian - Elect the Dead

From the 90s: