chris cornell is a musician. i'd venture to say it's up to him to decide what he wants to sing, not you.

That asinine, though. As much as variety from an artist is nice, it's a little extreme to say basically "oh well it's wonderfully diverse to go from writing dark hard rock to writing shitty R&B". Sure, he can decide what he wants to sing, but that doesn't make it any less shit. It's like if Matthew Good put out a gangsta rap album.

I appreciated what he did with Audioslave and Soundgarden, they had some great tunes. Then I was excited just before he released the solo album "Carry On"...but I couldn't get into it and thought they were some of his weakest songs. So to hear that Scream got even worse reviews, I decided to boycot this album so I won't scar the image of the great songwriter he once was. Normally I am open to most artist's new work and give them at least one listen, but not this one.

I'm hoping he'll make another 180 degree turn and put out some solid rock tunes like the good old days.

I'm aware of that, but Chris Cornell is not an R&B artist.

you clearly have never listened to "all night thing" or anything audioslave ever did.

i think scream is awful, but not because it's different. i don't even think it's the result of chris not being true to himself. his career path and choices were totally leading up to something like scream. you can see a steady decline in the quality of his output since his first solo album. if anything, chris was being incredibly true to himself by making that album. i don't believe he was doing it for the hits, or even to make money, because neither of those things really panned out. most of the songs were above the 4:30 mark, for fuck sakes. what kind of forgettable pop song drags on for that long? i think he wanted to make a pop album, but it just so happened that it's set to some of the worst middle-of-the-road stuff timbaland has ever nodded his head to. i believe wholeheartedly that cornell thinks scream is a great album, and while that's a bad judgment on his part, i don't think that feeling is illegitimate or the result of some evil record executive poking and prodding cornell to make an accessible record. the dude writes for american idol contestants. wake up. he's not the shirtless, long-haired, brooding banshee we once thought we knew. why? because that was fucking 20 years ago.

the fact of the matter is, chris cornell made a poorly executed pop album. it was poorly executed because it found both collaborators meeting one another half way, rather than saying "fuck common ground" and actually challenging one another. had cornell gone completely r&b, i think it would've faired much better. he should've just made a conventional pop album, and had a million guests on each song, ranging from eddie vedder to the pussy cat dolls. scream is the result of cornell not pushing himself in any direction far enough. he could easily have been a justin timberlake type had really given himself to the idea. i hear a lot of restraint on scream, and it's really unfortunate. the lyrics and beats might be poppy, but the song lengths and 40-year-old-cum-nightclub-pervert themes say otherwise.

as for the soundgarden reunion, i'd be happy if it happened, but only if it was a touring reunion. enough bands have reunited recently and shat on their legacies, and i will not stand by to see soundgarden do the same. things ended nicely. it'd be cool to see them again, but do i really want to hear another album? no. i'm happy with the ones they gave us. nor do i really think that what they did back then could translate well to now. they're a solid band, but i seriously doubt they could put anything together worth listening to. despite your innermost hopes, a soundgarden will not revive the career of chris cornell, nor will it suddenly imbue him with the ability to write better lyrics or make better career choices.

Edited by borntohula

OKAY!!! AUDIOSLAVE WAS SO NOT HIP HOP, it did Rock Ass though.

I personally felt that Soundgarden had a lot of good music left in them, I still feel that way. Whether it happens or not, they will still be a great band. Personally, I think Chris Cornell had the right formula on his first two solo albums, song writing wise, the arrangements needed to be heavier though. I've said it before, I like Timbaland...he can sling some serious tracks, but the marriage between him and Cornell just wasn't a good one.

chris cornell is a musician. i'd venture to say it's up to him to decide what he wants to sing, not you.

I agree with that fact very much.

If Matt, or any other artist did something more than the norm, would you all write them off as well?

Edit: Any other thoughts of the reunion (the original topic?)

Edited by Audio of Being

chris cornell cannot hit those notes anymore. despite what anyone says to the contrary.

that is actually what sparked the most recent round of rumours he came on with PJ and played some temple of the dog and hit the high notes fine... but sadly this will not happen anytime soon