here is no why

Official Tour Setlist/review Thread 2009/2010

I'm glad they played Odette last night. It sounded great. I loved it.

I enjoyed hearing Matt's story about his friend who stormed Juno Beach on D-Day. That was cool.

I was at both Calgary shows, and they were equally awesome. Matt talked a lot more on Sunday than last night, but his excuse was valid (lack of sleep). I saw this same band last fall and I think they sound a lot tighter as a group this time around. Empty's Theme Park was by far the highlight for me, given how different it sounds from the album. Its been a while since I got goosebumps listening to a song live!

Overall the experience was very mellow for me. Very relaxing with a good vibe. All I can say is thanks to the guys for an awsome show(s), and I hope everyone enjoys the upcoming tour dates. ;)

PS

Thanks ever so much for posting the set lists. I sincerely appreciate the effort!

I was at both Calgary shows, and they were equally awesome. Matt talked a lot more on Sunday than last night, but his excuse was valid (lack of sleep). I saw this same band last fall and I think they sound a lot tighter as a group this time around. Empty's Theme Park was by far the highlight for me, given how different it sounds from the album. Its been a while since I got goosebumps listening to a song live!

Overall the experience was very mellow for me. Very relaxing with a good vibe. All I can say is thanks to the guys for an awsome show(s), and I hope everyone enjoys the upcoming tour dates. ;)

PS

Thanks ever so much for posting the set lists. I sincerely appreciate the effort!

No problem! It's easy enough for me to pop them into my phone, and I snagged a list from the stage last night, which made it even easier!

Huzzah, Saskatoon was one good show. TCU Place has much better acoustics than the Odeon. Much, much better.

"How many levels are in this place? I feel like I'm in the fucking Thunderdome."

The Boy Who Could Explode

Great Whales of the Sea

Born Losers

I'm A Window

Hello Time Bomb

Blue Skies Over Bad Lands

Load Me Up

Silent Army in the Trees

Apparitions

Empty's Theme Park

Giant

Fought to Fight It

I'm sure I missed one or two in the list... I will edit when I figure it out...

Here's the list I got for Sask;

Boy Who Could Explode

Great Whales Of The Sea

Hello Time Bomb

Born Losers

I'm A Window

Blue Skies Over Bad Lands

Silent Army

Load Me Up

Last Parade

Weapon

Apparitions

Emptys Theme Park

Giant

Fought To Fight It

Closing with FTFI? Man, left me with a bitter taste. I felt like there should've been one more. Saw Matt going from the stage door to his bus but he was hurried off and didn't acknowledge us. Lame.

Saw Matt going from the stage door to his bus but he was hurried off and didn't acknowledge us. Lame.

Same thing happened in Calgary last night, but really, it's no big deal. He's been feeling under the weather, and he probably just wanted to get to the bus so he could rest up.

Saw Matt going from the stage door to his bus but he was hurried off and didn't acknowledge us. Lame.

I guess it would be awkward, 'cuz he established a policy at the start of this tour of not meeting fans due to health concerns. (Somebody please site a reference, I thought I read it on matthewgood.org, but now I can't find it again)

So if he's not intending to meet, it would be kinda weird to wave or something, and then just take off on you. If, on the other hand, he actually did stop to meet you, and word of it got out, imagine how much griping there'd be.

In a way, I feel for Matt, 'cuz although I've never met him, I've heard from all over the place that he really enjoys meeting his fans. The decision to skip out on it this tour must have been a tough one.

Edited by umdesch4

I'm not aware of him playing the entire thing, but I don't know what Matt/Blake would count towards those 42 songs so I threw them in for the sake of completeness.

The setlist from Calgary 2 is as follows:

The Vancouver National Anthem

Great Whales of the Sea

The Boy Who Could Explode

Alert Status Red

Odette

Weapon

Born Losers

Load Me Up

A Silent Army in the Trees

Last Parade (replaced Blue Skies Over Bad Lands)

Apparitions

Giant

Volcanoes

Us Remains Impossible

Empty's Theme Park

Copied from Shane's post.

Funny, Matt usually plays 3 songs during the encore, and a whopping FIVE at the second Vancouver show, which I was lucky enough to be at. I'm guessing maybe the main set was a little longer than usual? Blue Skies might have contributed to that...or was there a lot of banter? Still, just looking at that setlist, it seems a little short. I think that's what jrw is getting at...

Then again, if you got the breakdown with both Love Will Tear Us Apart AND Walking on the Moon (like in that wonderful Edmonton boot I've been listening to for days), then it's like a whole other song-worth of awesome jamming...

Johnny, how did you get 14 plays on Us Remains Impossible?! There's only been 13 shows so far, right?

Edited by umdesch4

So do you not like that song, or just wanted one or two more songs? Not clear on the bitter taste thing.

From my experience, bands will generally close with a big hitter, usually a hit single or fan favourite. To close with FTFI, it felt like there should've been one more. Perhaps it was different for everyone else, but for me I felt like the set was cut short. The song ends abruptly, and usually when bands are finishing up they'll drag it out a little bit for the big closing crescendo. I suppose I am just failing to accurately describe why it left me feeling like it did, but closing it on that note and saying "goodbye" left me feeling like there should've been at least one more. It seems the encores have been mostly three songs so I was expecting one more. FTFI is only an album track thus far and most of the people I know don't like the track. I think it's okay but I could've done without hearing it live.

I'm guessing maybe the main set was a little longer than usual? Blue Skies might have contributed to that...or was there a lot of banter? Still, just looking at that setlist, it seems a little short. I think that's what jrw is getting at...

There was barely any banter. Matt spoke twice. After Hello Time Bomb he spoke about Stu performing at TCU and a story involving Stevie Wonder. He stopped again but was bombarded by people yelling out random tracks, "change of season", "fall of man" etc. and didn't talk after that.

Edited by jrw

For those who want songs from AOB, there is a good chance that Matt will not play songs from the album. So stop begging for it.

The last time I heard anything from AOB was The Rat Who Would Be King in 2005.

He played Rat in Medicine Hat last fall. Since it's the same group of musicians, I could see it popping up again this year. He described that set list (Medicine Hat) as "eclectic" and he played mostly album tracks because the night before he'd done the radio win-to-get-in show, where he played all of his hits. He told the audience that the previous show had bored him to tears, so he was going to make up for it.

I was underwhelemed by last night's show in Saskatoon. I'd seen Matt many times before, and this one was the least exciting. I also felt a little ripped off when he quit after FTFI. Too many singles, setlist was shorter than most of the other shows, and he underperformed on many of the key vocal moments. I will say that it did at least look like he was trying, so maybe he's feeling ill?

I understand its a bit of a point of contention these days, but I've gotta admit I'm one of those MG fans that think these setlists are... lacking. LMU, Apparitions, & HTB... that's weak. I looked around and people don't even appear that pumped about them anymore. Waste of time. Play some tracks for the fans that have been around forever, or at least more Vancouver. Banter was witty and plentiful at the beginning, then it totally dropped off, but only after he had tried. It was understandable that he had to quit as there were too many idiots yelling "Go Riders!" or "Play <random MG tune>" over and over. Still, he didn't even introduce the band.

Idunno, the sound quality was great, Stu was AMAZING, the drummer was also fantastic, the bassist showed no emotion/interest... Overall it had the potential to be a great show, but these setlists choices could be alot stronger. Just my opinion.

I wouldn't count Love Will Tear Us Apart or Walking on the Moon as songs in the list of 42, which means we have a few to hear.

People asking for AOB tracks (like me asking for Man of Action, I know it's never going to be played, it has never been played to date, it's wishful thinking) but I hope there will be some that show up on the course of this whole tour. Like Carmelina or the Rat or Advertising. Those would be great.

Who knows though, as said... the tour is heading to the States as well and I'd have to think there will be another Canadian leg as well. Maybe closer to the nicer weather... ourdoor gigs? Can see it happening.

From my experience, bands will generally close with a big hitter, usually a hit single or fan favourite. To close with FTFI, it felt like there should've been one more. Perhaps it was different for everyone else, but for me I felt like the set was cut short. The song ends abruptly, and usually when bands are finishing up they'll drag it out a little bit for the big closing crescendo. I suppose I am just failing to accurately describe why it left me feeling like it did, but closing it on that note and saying "goodbye" left me feeling like there should've been at least one more. It seems the encores have been mostly three songs so I was expecting one more. FTFI is only an album track thus far and most of the people I know don't like the track. I think it's okay but I could've done without hearing it live.

I think this song is great! A song that I would expect would be pretty good live in comparison to some others. I hope it a least part of the setlist when I see him.

People on here gave Matt shit when he closed with LMU at one of the shows this tour. It's like he can't win....close with one of his biggest all time songs, or close with something upbeat from the new album - and he takes shit either way. What do you expect him to close with?

Johnny, how did you get 14 plays on Us Remains Impossible?! There's only been 13 shows so far, right?

I noticed that but forgot to change it in the final count. I wasn't doing a very thorough job with the counts - I pasted all the setlists into Word and found & replaced each song, and since some of them weren't spelled correctly in the posts I may have counted some of them twice.

I'm really hoping for some more non-single stuff now, whether it's on this leg of the tour or the next one. Speaking of which, where/is there proof of a second Canadian leg?