here is no why

Official Tour Setlist/review Thread 2009/2010

I'm really hoping for some more non-single stuff now, whether it's on this leg of the tour or the next one.

It seems to me he's playing about three singles out of 14 or so songs.

And almost ALL of Vancouver each night, with a few variations here and there.

What more could you ask for, really?

He's an artist that plays mostly from his new stuff each tour, and he pretty much has to play his 'hits', for those who have never seen him live before and been captured by these 'hit' songs.

Give the guy a break.

That's my opinion, anyways.

Once he tours Canada once for the album and goes to the states with it... like i've been saying, another tour across Canada could happen where he could add a few more rarities into the set rather than having Vancouver being represented almost in full. Drop a few "vancouver tracks" for some fan-favs.

I guess we'll see.

He played Rat in Medicine Hat last fall. Since it's the same group of musicians, I could see it popping up again this year. He described that set list (Medicine Hat) as "eclectic" and he played mostly album tracks because the night before he'd done the radio win-to-get-in show, where he played all of his hits. He told the audience that the previous show had bored him to tears, so he was going to make up for it.

Is a setlist for that show available? I'd love to see what else he had played for this "eclectic" show...

Is a setlist for that show available? I'd love to see what else he had played for this "eclectic" show...

I don't have the set list. I am notorious for forgetting set lists, sorry. From memory, he played a lot of the epic slow tunes (Champions, Blue Skies, Rat, etc). I know I left the show a very happy woman:)

This is the setlist I have from the Medicine Hat show following the X929 show at Wild Bill's.

A Single Explosion

Avalanche

Odette

99% of Us is Failure

I'm a Window

It's Been a While Since I was your Man

Blue Skies Over Bad Lands

Weapon

Born Losers

Black Helicopter

Apparitions

True Love Will Find You In the End

Giant

Hello Time Bomb

Load Me Up

Champions of Nothing

This is the setlist I have from the Medicine Hat show following the X929 show at Wild Bill's.

A Single Explosion

Avalanche

Odette

99% of Us is Failure

I'm a Window

It's Been a While Since I was your Man

Blue Skies Over Bad Lands

Weapon

Born Losers

Black Helicopter

Apparitions

True Love Will Find You In the End

Giant

Hello Time Bomb

Load Me Up

Champions of Nothing

No Rat? I could have sworn he played it...

But I've seen way too many shows. It is entirely possible that I am mistaken, and thus I apologize.

Edit: Also, the X92.9 show was at the Mt. Norquay ski lodge, not Wild Bills. I don't think Matt will ever play Wild Bills again.

Edited by Nearfantastica

I know he opened the Calgary show on November 1, 2005 with Man From Harold Wood/Rat Who Would Be King with a full band (only reason it sticks out is because he also played Suburbia, Prime Time Deliverance and Advertising on Police Cars and I was pretty sure I could die happy at that point). That's the only time I can recall him playing it in Alberta or at least the shows I've been to.

Actually, I think that sticks out as the best concert of his I have been to. Well that or Stampede 2003 where he played Under the Influence and Generation X-Wing and crowd surfed.

Edited by JacqWazz

I know he opened the Calgary show on November 1, 2005 with Man From Harold Wood/Rat Who Would Be King with a full band (only reason it sticks out is because he also played Suburbia, Prime Time Deliverance and Advertising on Police Cars and I was pretty sure I could die happy at that point). That's the only time I can recall him playing it in Alberta or at least the shows I've been to.

I remember those days. So sweet.

However, and I've said it before, we have to enjoy this album live as we may never hear some of these songs live again. A few years from now we'll be talking about how we got to hear -------- live and how lucky we were - and probably bugging Matt to put it in his new setlist.

I remember those days. So sweet.

However, and I've said it before, we have to enjoy this album live as we may never hear some of these songs live again. A few years from now we'll be talking about how we got to hear -------- live and how lucky we were - and probably bugging Matt to put it in his new setlist.

This is true. My brother attended the first Calgary show with me, and afterwards he said he was lucky to have heard Empty's Theme Park. Not only is it his favorite Vancouver track, but the live arrangement is so different and unique. Even if he does play it again, it may not ever sound the same.

As much as I said the set at the Vancouver night 1 show underwhelmed me, I have to agree with this from Matt's post "Trying To Pull Chairs Out Of The Floor":

Lastly, repeatedly screaming requests from the audience is both futile and annoying.

Also:

On top of that, there are further demands that the show be in excess of two and a half hours in length and include a myriad of different obscure tracks. I

I think this song is great! A song that I would expect would be pretty good live in comparison to some others. I hope it a least part of the setlist when I see him.

People on here gave Matt shit when he closed with LMU at one of the shows this tour. It's like he can't win....close with one of his biggest all time songs, or close with something upbeat from the new album - and he takes shit either way. What do you expect him to close with?

I was actually hoping for a longer song, perhaps Avalanche or VNA. Something that they can really hammer out.

After seeing Matt's post about Saskatoon it makes me feel utterly embarassed. I have never yelled out tracks at the band playing onstage as I myself have played live and know what set lists are and know that it isn't simply an easy case of changing it up mid set. I'm glad he said "4 out of 2,500", because that's honestly what it is. There was one guy all night who would yell and yell and yell, just random tracks (change of season?! what?!) and everyone around me was pissed off at this guy. It's irritating because Matt can simply skip Saskatoon the next time he tours if he feels the audience aren't worth it. I would say for the most part we were respectful, gave him a standing ovation and gave rapturous applause at the end of each number. It angers me that Matt feels that way because of, like he said, four idiots. There may have been more but it couldn't have been more than the same five or six people who yelled during each quiet moment. I was hoping for more banter between songs but everytime he spoke, song requests would go out. At one point he joked about it saying, "this isn't the fucking request hour" to which everyone cheered and laughed hoping to silence the fucking morons who kept yelling out.

This was my first time seeing Matt and I really hope it won't be the last in Saskatoon. If Matt is reading this I hope he does realise that it was only those four or five idiots who brought us down. Everyone in my section were loving every single second of it. It was an absolutely incredible night and with my disappointment with closing with FTFI aside, I got every single fucking pennies worth. I had always understood how incredible Matt's voice is, but live it's on another level. Stu is an amazing guitarist as it's been said, the sound completely filled TCU place. So yes, it was an incredible night and I'm really sad that Matt was obviously holding back, perhaps because he has another month to go, or more likely, because he was in a bad mood due to those yelling out.

Edited by jrw

Looks like Alan Cross is at the Winnipeg show tonight and has made a few tweets about it. There is nothing setlist specific (outside of the polka one) but here are his recent MG related ones:

#MattGood responds to polka request from audience. Fails gracefully.
Here at the #MattGood show (and every other gig around the world tonight), everyone is taking pics and videos with mobiles. Times change...
Burton Cummings un Wpg a great place to see a show. Used to see movies here as a kid. Great acoustics for a guy like #MattGood.

There doesn't seem to be any recent chatter on the #mgtour2009 tag either.