here is no why

Official Tour Setlist/review Thread 2009/2010

I was on the right hand side and there were some guys around me that wouldn't shut up!!

This was the first opportunity I've ever had to see Matt live (been a fan since 1997!)... and it was totally worth it to go and see all four Alberta shows.

Cool man.

Having an opinion about a show is fine, I understand some people are disappointed with certain shows and I respect their choice to discuss it. It just feels like some people are going a bit too far sometimes and attacking MG's whole show because he didn't play what happened to be someone's favourite song or whatever. I dunno, maybe it's just how it's being phrased by some people, I just find some of the criticisms to be based solely on personal preference and there's not really anything Matt can do about that. That's really what annoys me the most, the feeling or attitude that makes it sound like MG should've catered to exactly what a given fan wanted... just a bit ridiculous.

... which kind of ironic because I was also at the Red Deer show where half of the back part of the theatre rushed the stage and no one was asked to return to their seats.

He stated during both the Red Deer show and the second Calgary show that he was only half there... wow if he was only half there I can't imagine how awesome it'd be if he was all there!!

Going to sit down venues are always odd for me, especially when it comes to rock concerts. Since I had driven 1 hour and 30 minutes to get Red Deer I didn't mind it much this time but I've always wondered how artists feed off of stand up crowds as compared to ones sitting down and wasn't sure how this one would be given that the Memorial Centre is a theater. Matt and the band came on and went through around 4 songs without saying anything which kind of gave the impression that he wasn't in the best of moods and right after the 4th song he started talking saying he was in a bit of a fog since he had woken up at 3 the previous morning (or afternoon...not really sure which he was referring to). He went into some funny banter after that about the lighting for a couple minutes but I don't think too many people knew what to expect at that point.

However, when the opening to Load Me Up came on and everyone rushed to the stage...man did that ever change things. I really have to give it to Red Deer folk cause that is the first time I have ever been to a sit down venue and seen fans get up and rush the stage which completely gave a jolt to the atmosphere of the concert. I won't say Matt and co started preforming better because they already seemed to be into the songs, but it just seemed to become more of a rock concert at that point and I think Matt appreciated the fans doing it. I think it also proves his point about a lot of people (myself excluded) who really do appreciate the singles and him having to cater to that crowd as well. After Load me up he said some thing to Blake and they launched into HTB which was probably a good read on his part. To be honest, I could go my entire life without having to hear the album version of HTB again but I understand why he still plays those songs.

Unrelated notes on the concert:

-Why has no one mentioned the extended version of Great Whales of the Sea? This version kills. I really hope they start extending/reworking more of the songs like this (and how like the 02-05 line up did with some of the older songs) cause when they do it sounds great (ETP and Great Whales being the obvious examples but I think songs like Last Parade have a lot of potential given the way the outro is structured).

- While I for sure enjoy Stu's guitar work (e.g- the new additions he added to Alert Status Red, The Boy Who Could Explode and especially A Silent Army in the Trees) does anyone think the echo effects he uses in Giant and in the bridge of Empty's Theme Park are a bit overdone? I don't know, maybe it's just me (or it could have been the theater too) but they sound like they drown out some of the other players parts more than they should.

-Lastly, I wanted to say something about Milo. I know more than a few people have grudgingly mumbled that he never really seems that into the songs and looking at some of the videos from the 2008 tour I would have agreed. However, from what I saw last Monday and from what I've seen of the videos of the 2009 tour, I've really enjoyed watching the guy. Not only can he destroy most of the songs live (Last Parade and especially ETP, both of which are given a more organic sound because of how and what he adds to them), but he seems to be a lot more invested in the shows. I mean he's laid back but he doesn't seem to just be there because he's being paid. Half way through the show he started a little impromptu jazz session between him, Stu and Blake which was hilarious not only because it was out of no where but because of how Matt reacted to it by just staring at Milo for a good 2 minutes straight without saying anything before jokingly warning him about what happened the last time that he tried that.

Anyways, wicked show.

Edited by daniel_v

It seems to me he's playing about three singles out of 14 or so songs.

And almost ALL of Vancouver each night, with a few variations here and there.

What more could you ask for, really?

He's an artist that plays mostly from his new stuff each tour, and he pretty much has to play his 'hits', for those who have never seen him live before and been captured by these 'hit' songs.

Give the guy a break.

That's my opinion, anyways.

Thanks for that. I didn't mean to come across as whiny or anything - I'm pumped that I'm going to get away from work and see Matt play, and I couldn't care less if he played just Vancouver and left the stage, everything else is just gravy. I went browsing through his site and found this old entry - http://www.matthewgood.org/2008/05/fan-inq...tour-addressed/ - from the last tour. The entire thing is still applicable for this tour as well and is good to keep in mind. I know this issue has been beaten to death and most people are over it and know better, but I just thought his old post was worth a mention.

I am going to London on Wed, btw... if no one has posted that by the time I get back on Thursday afternoon (the girlfriend and I are driving from Windsor) I'll put it up for everyone here for sure. Anyone bootlegging that show? There seems to have been a bootleg from pretty much every London show since the Put Out Your Lights tour with excellent quality to boot so fingers crossed!

Here's the setlist from last night in Thunder Bay.

1. Vancouver National Anthem 2. Load Me Up 3. The Boy Who Could Explode 4. Great Whales of the Sea 5. Apparitions 6. On Nights Like Tonight 7. Weapon 8. Last Parade 9. A Single Explosion 10. Born Losers 11. Us Remains Impossible 12. Empty's Theme Park -ENCORE- 13. A Silent Army in the Trees 14. Odette 15. Giant.

are there more then 1 audio recording out now? I wish we could start an audio thread just like the video you tube one we have. I am going to be recording the hamilton and massey hall shows Possiblly London too.

As far as I'm aware, there's only 1 recording, from Edmonton (see gursky's post #254 on page 13 of this thread for links). As soon as there's more than one recording, I'd say it'd be worth it to create such a thread, but so far it'd just have one lonely post in there. Maybe it would inspire others to try and get good audio recordings though (or upload ones they're holding onto already, perhaps? ). Just my $0.02...

Oh, and good luck with your recordings, foats! Can't wait to hear 'em (if you're planning to share, that is...)!

Edited by umdesch4

As far as I'm aware, there's only 1 recording, from Edmonton (see gursky's post #254 on page 13 of this thread for links). As soon as there's more than one recording, I'd say it'd be worth it to create such a thread, but so far it'd just have one lonely post in there. Maybe it would inspire others to try and get good audio recordings though (or upload ones they're holding onto already, perhaps? ). Just my $0.02...

Oh, and good luck with your recordings, foats! Can't wait to hear 'em (if you're planning to share, that is...)!

do not post bootlegs outside of the lounge.

Winnipeg Setlist:

1) Avalanche

2) On Nights Like Tonight

3) Great Whales of the Sea

4) The Boy Who could Explode

5) Fought to Fight It

Matt interacts with audience, does a polka, pretty funny stuff

6) Silent Army in The Trees

7) Black Helicopter

8) Last Parade

9) Apparitions

10) Weapon

11) Volcanos

Encore:

12) Giant

13) Us Remains Impossible

14) Empty's Theme Park

Good show, Black Helicopter wasn't the best I'ev ever seen it and I like the album version of Empty's Theme Park better.

you actually forgot born losers it was right before fought to fight it in winnipeg. emptys theme park was amaziing

Wow, no HTB or LMU...interesting.