here is no why

Official Tour Setlist/review Thread 2009/2010

THe London Setlist was better than in Barrie. I think Volcanoes & Avalanche shold be concert staples.

I could do with out HTB & LMU

Also, "Empty's Themepark" belongs at the very end of the concert not halfway through like in Barrie.

London Setlist: the first 4 are in the right order, as is the encore, but it's a bit muddy in the middle)

Nights Like Tonight

Avalanche

Boy Who Could Explode

Load Me Up

Great Whales of the Sea

Hello Time Bomb

Volcanoes

Us Remains Impossible

Born Losers

It's Been A While Since I Was Your Man

Apparitions

Weapon

Giant

Last Parade

Empty's Theme Park

There was a little banter, but I couldn't make most of it out. The crowd was filled with the typical people screaming "whoooooo' at every quiet opportunity, so maybe that's why he wasn't as chatty. Also this one woman in a purple mini dress kept running up to the front of the stage and taking pictures, yelling something at matt, and asking the people in the front row to take a picture of her in front of him. It was really irritating and I'm surprised he didn't say anything. Other than that, it was solid show.

I guess we have differnt perspectives

First, "The Boy who could explode" is not a good opener.

Even Matt thinks twice about playing "Load me up" anymore. For those who still need this song, try one of the 50 bootlegs circulating.

To me it was clear that some songs needed more juice, a keyboard player would have helped, specifically on "Last Parade"

It's great on the album when you can layer tracks, but if you listen to it live, it sounds really basic.

Odette was an odd choice for a college show, too slow and the crowd was wondering.

Empty's Theme park was the best song of the night. I still prefer the album version, but it has that "Avalanche" feel to it, and it's still good live.

Giant and Alert Status were good but "Everything is Automatic" was best from the encores.

So, me and the guy below don't see eye to eye, but who cares we both liked the show in differnet ways!

Billy

Just got back from the show in Barrie, let me say it was fucking amazing. Well, for starters, sorry to all the fans out there, but I really couldn't stand Mother Mother, but that's a whole other discussion, anyways... The band was fucking bang on every song and I he only played 5 songs off Vancouver, probably the lowest he's played this tour but I wasn't a bit dissapointed, I got to hear an amazing fucking setlist, best one this tour in my opinion, a great encore, and yea, Matt seemed to be having a lot of fun... didn't talk much but you could see it in his face, anyways the setlist was:

The Boy Who Could Explode

Load Me Up

Great Whales Of The Sea

Hello Time Bomb

(Hello Time Bomb rant)

Born Losers

Us Remains Impossible

Last Parade

I'm A Window

Odette

Empty's Theme Park

Apparitions

Weapon

-ENCORE-

Giant

Alert Status Red

Everything Is Automatic

Highlights for me were Load Me Up, everyone was completely into it, I'm A Window, man he rocked the shit out of that, same as Weapon, Giant was amazing (as usual) and Everything Is Automatic, great closer. Off Vancouver, I was impressed how well The Boy Who Could Explode works to start the show, Last Parade was great and so was Us Remains Impossible.

For accuracy's sake, here is the definite running order for the London setlist:

On Nights Like Tonight

Avalanche

Load Me Up

Great Whales Of The Sea

Volcanoes

Hello Timebomb

Born Losers

Us Remains Impossible

It's Been Awhile Since I Was Your Man

Apparitions

Weapon

Giant

Last Parade

Empty's Theme Park

I am blind but was there with my gf and have a few comments:

I was one of the first to voice disappointment at the start of the tour over the MGB singles being played but now understand why: The audience was sitting up until Load Me Up but that song got everyone standing and pretty much everybody stayed up for the rest of the show, according to my girlfriend.

I was surprised by It's Been Awhile... think this is the first time he's played that on this tour? I am a big fan of this song so its surprise inclusion made me happy... as soon as I heard that drum intro I was like "Holy shit!"

Giant still sounds amazing, I will never get tired of hearing that tune live. Also I thought Last Parade had some tremendous energy and Matt really seemed to be getting into that one. Must be doing fairly well too, I thought I could hear the audience singing along... which they mostly only did for the singles like Weapon, Born Losers and the MGB stuff. Not to say they were unresponsive, I thought the other material certainly received warm receptions as well.

Empty's Theme Park should always be played last and I honestly couldn't imagine it being anywhere else in the set... you have to hear it in person to understand what an absolute force the reworked version is. Also really liked the extended guitars at the end of Great Whales.

Not sure if it was the same for everyone but Matt's vocals were drowned out by the band in the first couple of songs... finally heard full band Avalanche live though... very happy about that! On Nights Like Tonight is a great opener and really flows well into Avalanche too, they're like two kindred spirits.

All the Vancouver songs translate really well live... Boy Who Could Explode, Empty's Theme Park, Last Parade and Great Whales were the album highlights for me... On Nights Like Tonight and Us Remains Impossible were really great too.

Matt wasn't too chatty and I couldn't make out what he said when he addressed the audience... something about the rule at Centennial Hall being that 19+ had to b covered in KY or something... didn't totally understand so I am most likely getting it wrong... joked about the after show party too.

Crowd was hot even though it sounded like there were some "special ones" there. Definitely some people who really thought they were awesome by screaming incoherently but there were also a lot of those pin drop, spine tingling moments with just Matt singing so I thought it was good. One girl shouted out, quite loudly, Primetime Deliverence right before Empty's Theme Park... there is no way Matt didn't hear it and I'm sure he was probably really impressed given his recent blog entry about requests being annoying.

I know he's done it on past tours to several crowds but not sure if he is still doing it on this tour: After the show was done, people gave him a huge ovation and he stayed to face the crowd and applaud us. No matter how many times he does it, I always find it to be an extremely classy gesture on his part.

All in all it was a great show, in my opinion. Maybe could've done without HTB but the crowd was into it so it's obviously a matter of personal opinion and it was still fun to sing along to. Best solo gig I've been to, by far.

I have to concur with the assessment that On Nights Like Tonight and Avalanche are two kindered spirits. I also love the reworked version of Empty's Theme Park, in fact I think it was the best part of the show when it's included.

I also am very disheartened to read this afternoon that Matt is still getting hassled about not hanging out at the bus after the show, especially in the manner he described. I work with stupidity on a daily basis and it never fails to astound me how persistent it is in our society!! But it also means two other words for me as well: Job Security!!

Yeah that post made me sad... although there seemed to be some odd ducks in London (like the couple making out and the dude from said couple who tried to jump the girl in her seat, according to my gf.) I really hope it wasn't people from the London show bitching like that because I thought that was a fantastic gig with a lot of energy... seemed like the crowd was into it. I'd hate it if he stopped coming to London too because as it is, we have to make a two hour trek up from Windsor to catch him. Well worth it but that's the closest he comes to around here.

People are just ignorant though. I can't comprehend why they feel the need to insult someone due to a condition that's beyond his control. As a blind person I know what that shit is like and there's really never any reason for it -- it's really just a crutch for unintelligent people to rely on. Matt is better off losing "fans" who are that stupid and disrespectful as human beings in general... guess it's easy to throw stones from a distance though.

It's still a fucking shame because that's shit that nobody should have to deal with, regardless.

Oh and I forgot to mention, Mother Mother was pretty fantastic.

Matt sure knows how to pick great opening bands. Lead singer seemed genuinely thankful to the great reception the audience gave the band by the end of their set. Their drummer can sure fucking play too... add this band to Dala who won me over after opening for MG... these guys have great harmonies too, something that is Dala's strong suit as well... Touch Up, a song from MM's first album, sounds absolutely awesome live too btw. It was the second last song in their set last night for those who were there.

Yeah I picked up their second album at HMV today and still want to get their first. They're a pretty quirky sounding band and are really unlike anything out there right now. Only thing that even comes close to describing them is a non-synth drowned version of The Rentals maybe? Even that doesn't do them justice, the lead vocalist sounds nothing like Matt Sharpe.

Yes! Please, stop being his fans and never go to a show again!

I had to give my ticket away last minute to a friend because of something that came up with school. I'm pretty upset because I was looking forward to this concert for months (snagged some great seats too).

Seriously, I hate some of those idiots that go to his concerts......

Here's the set list guys from Last night's show in North Bay. Straight from the actual set list itself given to me from one of the roadies.

Great Whales Of The Sea

Load Me Up

Hello Time Bomb

Born Losers

Us Remains Impossible

Last Parade

Empty's Theme Park

The Vancouver National Anthem

Apparitions

Weapon

Encore:

A Silent Army In The Trees

Giant

Overall, just an incredible show. Mother Mother were fantastic, and Matthew was mind blowing as always.

Disclaimer: I am *NOT* complaining. I'm sure it was a great show, and I wish I could have been there (as with every show)

I'm just noticing that at 13 songs, this is the shortest setlist from the tour so far, I think. Was this because of a lot of banter, even more extensions to the songs, or was it just a shorter show?

Personally, I'd love to see Matt and co. get even crazier with a "medley" of song snippets in the middle of LMU. I almost get the feeling that before the end of this tour, Matt's actually going to attempt to sing some of Love Will Tear Us Apart.

Edited by umdesch4

Well just fyi, there was no song snippet in LMU at the London gig. He did a bit of different instrumentation after the guitar solo and I thought a song snippet was coming but he didn't sing anything and then went into the final verse. If he sang any snippet, I didn't hear it anyway.

Yes! Please, stop being his fans and never go to a show again!

I had to give my ticket away last minute to a friend because of something that came up with school. I'm pretty upset because I was looking forward to this concert for months (snagged some great seats too).

Seriously, I hate some of those idiots that go to his concerts......

Matt weighs in on this and other subjects today: http://www.matthewgood.org/2009/11/a-bizarre-48/

It's a good read, IMHO.

Hey all,

Well, after eight years of being a fan in Ireland, I've arrived in Toronto, and am going to tomorrow's show in London, as well as Friday's show in Parry Sound. I can't even begin to explain how excited I am to finally get the chance to see Matt Good in concert, but if anyone's around at either show and wants to talk about the man himself, I'll be a ready converser!

Since I'm travelling around, I won't be able to get the setlists up right away, so hopefully others see to that. I will post reviews when I get home and calm down enough to string sentences together. Anyway, if there are people going to either show and you want a beer [or eight] afterwards, I'll be hanging around ;)

Cheers,

- Corm

i'm assuming this is you who gets to meet matt.... have a blast dude!

Matt truly is a class act, regardless of what some may think. Inviting that guy from Ireland (who posts here), onto his bus for a drink is a commendable thing to do. Sometimes I'm embarrassed to call myself a fan of Matthew Good simply because of the association with other idiots who send him hate mail and don't understand that he's actually a normal human being like everyone else.

i'm assuming this is you who gets to meet matt.... have a blast dude!

Yeah, that is a really awesome thing for Matt to do...he doesn't have to, but he understands how respect (should) works. It goes both ways, and respect and/or kindness is rewarded with the same in return. That entry he just made is spot on. It's a lot more than just supporting an artist by buying albums/tickets/merch, he shouldn't have to cater to anyone, and I think a lot would agree that if he tried to, he would get even less respect.

Congrats Corm, you deserve it after all that.

I heard someone mention a new tshirt idea - I hear Matt Good fans are real a**holes.

I'd buy it.

we actually test printed a shirt that said that and it looked funny. would you guys actually buy it or just be offended?

also that's awesome if it was our irish guy.