here is no why

Official Tour Setlist/review Thread 2009/2010

Guess following all the @mattgood's on twitter has paid off - here's the setlist from tonight:

The Boy Who Could Explode

Hello Time Bomb

Great Whales of the Sea

Load Me Up

Born Losers

Us Remains Impossible

On Nights Like Tonight

Avalanche

Last Parade

I'm A Window

The Vancouver National Anthem

Weapon

Apparitions

----

Giant

Empty's Theme Park

Everything Is Automatic

Source: http://tweetphoto.com/5538281, not too shabby at all.

...and I hope you made it to this one Corm, looking forward to an update in the coming days!

Edited by johnny

Was at the show tonight in Kingston. The band played well and it was a real good show

Despite playing the "hits" Matt seemed disgusted playing them, letting the crowd sing most of Time Bomb and Load Me Up.

I was pleasantly surprised at how good "Last Parade" and "Empty's Theme Park" turned out to be live. Probably my two favorite songs of the night along with a rocking version of "I'm A Window."

After some sleep maybe I'll post more, I'm exhausted.

Edited by eddis

Source: http://tweetphoto.com/5538281, not too shabby at all.

...and I hope you made it to this one Corm, looking forward to an update in the coming days!

That guy is either the worst photographer ever, or he has the shittiest camera ever. Actually maybe he took the shots on his cellphone. But still, Jesus Christ fucking horrible pics! lol.

And ya, Corm i hope you had a great time at the Kingston show buddy!! We love you bro and are all rooting for ya.

I just got back from the Kingston show myself. Great show. Matt and the Band were on their game. It was my first show of the tour, going to see them in Ottawa on Dec. 11 too. I was in the front row, rocking out like a mofo...which was awkward because the rest of the crowd mostly sucked shit. It took them 4 songs to get their asses off their seats! During Load Me Up some people were standing but most we sitting, including the whole front row. So in the middle of the song during a part when Matt doesn't sing he went back and sat down in front of Blake the drummer and he just sat there for a few seconds, and now that i look back it was almost as if he was mocking the crowd. Then still sitting, Matt raised his hands up in a "get up" motion. That's when i stood up and yelled "YAAAAAAAHHH!!!!" with my fists in the air and everybody in the place finally stood up and stayed up for the whole show. Matt and co. proceeded to rock out.

I'm glad Matt did the "get up off your asses" hand gesture to get people standing, because otherwise it would have been a lame concert. I just went to 4 Metallica concerts since September, so sitting down at a rock concert is just too fucking lame for me. I'm a rocker baby, and i was into every fucking song just signing and boppin' away. I think i was the only person in the venue who yelled "stick to it!" during Vancouver National Anthem lol, and i heard nobody singing "K-I-C-K-A-S-S..." between the encore. In my opinion, if you're at a rock concert and you aren't rocking out as much as the drummer is, then you're not rocking out enough.

So ya fucking LAME crowd, but Matt and the band were great. Stuart and Blake are amazing, and bring a lot of energy to the show. I think Milos snuck in 2 naps while he played. The sound was awesome too. I saw the Matt & band last year in St. Catherine's and sound sucked dick, and Matt seemed exhausted, but this show was way better. Also impressed with Mother Mother, Matt seems to always have great opening acts (Dala, The Spades).

Lots of hits during the setlist, but thats fine i expect that anyways and i like signing to them, they get the show rockin! Played lots of good 'Vancouver' songs. Cant wait for Ottawa!

Went to the Kingston show aswell.

Every song was top notch except for Giant. It sounded god aweful for some reason and its really unfortunate because its one of my favourites.

Took some video, I upped some on youtube you can check out. I'll try to fix the audio because of the bass distortion. Its really hard to film with a cam without trying to get busted (considering I was basically right beside a staff member)

I'll get around to posting more of it if anyone wants more.

Edited by instro2

Giant sounded terrible? I can't see that being true? why so?

Matt sounded good. The chorus sounded good. It was the rest of it that sounded bad. My fiance went with me and she agreed, it just didn't sound right.

Might I add that Mother Mother was pretty decent too. I enjoyed it more than I thought I was going to, then again I only heard one song from them before going into the show. Theyre much more intense live than on CD, the recordings don't do them justice.

Also picked up a signed copy of the cd and a scarf.

Edited by instro2

Now that I've had some rest, I did notice how good the sound was there. I watched Tool play in the same venue over the summer and don't remember the sound being that good, but then again I was right next to a speaker.

I was laughing when Matt was "mocking" the crowd during LMU. I do agree though that the crowd was real lame, even during the encore half of my area didn't even get up which is ridiculous. Also a real annoying girl behind me who yelled continually during the encore, I would never hit a girl but that was the closest I think I've ever came to doing so.

I think I'm just ranting about nothing so like someone said above, I'll also be in Ottawa at the NAC on December 11th which should be good, it's a nice venue for a concert.

Every song was top notch except for Giant. It sounded god aweful for some reason and its really unfortunate because its one of my favourites.

Took some video, I upped some on youtube you can check out. I'll try to fix the audio because of the bass distortion. Its really hard to film with a cam without trying to get busted (considering I was basically right beside a staff member)

Your videos are excellent! Yes, please upload more if you can. Would be very appreciated. Would especially like to see Load Me Up.

P.S. forgot to add that i got one of Matt's picks that were on his mic, one of the nice crew dudes got it for me!! I must say he was a nice guy for getting that, and giving a give in the front the setlist. I hate when roadies just ignore everyone. Lance was a dick last year.

If anyone cares, Matt uses a light grey nylon .60mm Jim Dunlop pick. No special markings on it, the same as if you'd find at any music store (i personally hate those Dunlop nylon picks, they have leftover plastic all around the edges. i like the Tortex picks better, except they make your fingers black when the writing rubs off).

This is essentially the exact same pick i got from matt:

35062_s.jpg

I've got some videos from the Kingston show. Not sure how they turned out yet, but if they're good I'll upload to youtube and post the link. I got busted in the middle of Empty's Theme Park right before they started jamming, so that sucked.

man the crowd looks so bored during us remains impossible. i would be too.

it's not exactly a song you're supposed to rock out too lol. they cheer at the end too.

I love Us Remains Impossible... wouldn't be bored at all. Great video!

We should see if we can get a live DVD of various songs from this tour, the video's of good quality, that is... and see if we can't distribute them to the folks on here.

as awesome as that sounds i don't think universal might like a bootleg dvd coming out ;)

That's a really great video... the other two you have up are amazing as well.

Looks like the atmosphere was really good there, it's good that Matt got everyone to stand up. He should do that at every show. Both MG shows I have been at, everyone has mostly stayed sitting through the whole thing. I guess no one wants to be the first to stand up, not knowing if the people behind them want to stand. I think most people would rather stand and rock out, but they just need to get on the same page haha. I would gladly stand at a show (disibility or not, I can still hold myself up haha). I would guess it might be a bit different at an arena compared to an actual theatre to.

Edited by Curtster

That's a really great video... the other two you have up are amazing as well.

Thanks ;)

I actually filmed all the videos on my knee. Really hard to zoom in too, I was guessing half the time. Opening my flip screen would just draw more attention.

Matt would probably like to punch me in the face however.

Chiming in late on the London show, I gotta say - I've seen every show he's done in London since 2002 (excluding 2003), and performance-wise, this was the best full-band show I've seen. Very intense, very rocking perfomance. I would've liked to hear him banter some more and play a song or two sololy acoustic, yes, but it's his decision and I walked away satisfied nonetheless.

"On Nights Like Tonight" was a great opener, and the transition into "Avalanche" was a perfect fit. Similarly, "Born Losers," "Us Remains Impossible", and "It's Been A While Since I Was Your Man" connect well thematically and musically. The set was very Vancouver-centric but many of the songs sound much better live - "Great Whales of the Sea" is a lot better live.

About playing HTB and LMU... I miss the days when Matt digressed into an extended instrumental section following the solo in Time Bomb; I'm a little sick of it live, but I must say that it sounds a lot better now than it used to for some reason - playing it faster and/or rougher I suppose. Same goes for Load Me Up, though I still enjoy it. The thing that bothers me most is that it makes all the fairweather, single-obsessed fans in the crowd obvious. I'm sure it's discouraging to him that the best reactions he evokes are from those old singles. The cheers when "Born Losers" similarly make me cringe - those same fans just don't listen to the meaning of the words.

Highlight of the show for me was "Volcanoes" - love it on the CD, loved it live. "ONLT/Avalanche" was awesome as well, I'd love to hear that again.

The way the audience only stood up finally when he played LMU made me think they'd sit back down during Great Whales and I was shocked when they stayed up during Volcanoes. I am not saying this because they're bad songs, just saying it because they seemed like a bunch who were there for the singles.

Gotta admit LMU sounded fantastic though... Last Parade really stuck out for me too... but I've already said my peace on the London show. Oh and whoever said Mother Mother is more intense live, they are absolutely right.