here is no why

Official Tour Setlist/review Thread 2009/2010

Random thoughts on the show last night...Matt sounded great....band sounded great...too many vancouver songs, needed more variety....band can't really get into a flow having to take a break after each song to change guitars/walk on/off stage, etc....surprised no apparitions.....the illusion of television has been destroyed for me.....couldn't hear anyone screaming out or anything...only the comment about emptys being played.....had great seats, matt walked right past me down center aisle....cool experience.

I had a great time at the Bravo taping.. admittedly due to some poor transit planning on my part, I didn't get there early and got one of the last seats on the floor.. unfortunately, my seat was in the way of one of the cameras so he asked me to move (very apologetically) twice... I'm sure there's lots of shots of the back of my head and likely one of me singing along silently to Us Remains Impossible.. when it airs, if you see someone fitting that description wearing black patent stiletto boots, well look no further as to who it is ;) The dialogue in between the interviews and songs was too funny.. the "Hi I'm Matt for Heineken" made me snicker...

p.s. u would have nabbed a pick if you waited a bit. I got one when i asked the roadie, maybe 5 minutes after those idiots jumped the stage.

Actually, I was fortunate enough to get a setlist after the Bravo taping. One of the crew (the one who was giving Matt his guitars, if anyone remembers his name, please let me know) started asking me how I liked the taping and we discussed briefly the Ottawa concert. He just went backstage and came out and gave me his copy of the setlist w/ the guitar changes written on it.. I thought that was a really sweet gesture since I didn't ask for it. They were really friendly.

FYI.. thanks, you're making me blush ... :angry:

Oh, I took a few pics at the Ottawa concert.. soon I'll add them to the Flickr mg2009tour group...

Just got back from Peterborough show and the setlist was in the right order

Born Losers

I'm A Window

The Boy Who COuld Explode

Load Me Up

Great Whales Of The Sea

A Silent Army In The Trees

Black Helicopter

The Vancouver National Anthem

Last Parade

The Future Is X-Rated

Apparitions

Weapon

// // // Encore

Giant

A Single Explosion

Empty's Theme Park

That likely was me... I had asked MG about taking cameras on Twitter but never really got a clear response; I did see some chatter about it on his mgtour2009 group.. I figured it was worth a try... I should have brought just my plain 50mm lens though, along with the 90mm.. unfortunately many of my shots didn't turn out as well as they could have been.. too excited to keep the camera steady ;) Too bad I didn't know to look out for so many people from this site to say "hi"...

Matt didn't really seem like talking last night though he only talked one time and was discussing the showers in theaters and then made fun of the people at the beleville show for not standing up. Great show though but near the end of VNA one of Natt's strings broke on his guitar and he had to switch guitars

He just went backstage and came out and gave me his copy of the setlist w/ the guitar changes written on it.. I thought that was a really sweet gesture since I didn't ask for it. They were really friendly.

Oh, I took a few pics at the Ottawa concert.. soon I'll add them to the Flickr mg2009tour group...

That is nice of him. I'd love to get one with the guitar changes on it, saw a pic of one in this thread, which had marking on which songs had capos on the guitars. I got the lighting guys' list, which just has spotlight reminders, but still awesome. Got a setlist last year too, had Matt sign it after the show!

Glad you plan on uploading pics, i didn't take my camera. My first 2 MG shows were in 2007 and 2008, took lots of pics then. Now i just go and enjoy the show without lugging my bulky Canon around my neck, and let people like you take pics for me. Waahaha!!

Think you said this was your first MG show, his solo acoustic show in Ottawa in 2007 was AMAZING. Here's an incredible vid from it: Tripoli

Good Setlist. A Good setlist IMO is one without Volcanoes.

LOL. Volacanoes rules BITZNATCCH!!!!

So does Fought to Fight It, which he doesn't seem to play much at all. Wish he played that at one of the shows i caught. can't even find a vid of it on youtube

Glad you plan on uploading pics, i didn't take my camera. My first 2 MG shows were in 2007 and 2008, took lots of pics then. Now i just go and enjoy the show without lugging my bulky Canon around my neck, and let people like you take pics for me. Waahaha!!

Think you said this was your first MG show, his solo acoustic show in Ottawa in 2007 was AMAZING. Here's an incredible vid from it: Tripoli

If you are looking to see some photos that I took at the NAC, check out MGs personal Flickr page .. you could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw they were posted ;) I'll put some more to the Flickr mg2009tour group page when I get my Flickr account figured out. I'm hoping to take some more at Massey Hall on Friday, but I likely won't have the same vantage point :angry:

And indeed, it was my first show.. I'm late to the MG fan club party.. thanks for the link! So sad I didn't see that show.. I definately missed out... however, I am making up for it now since this will be three shows in a week (NAC, BRAVO taping, Massey Hall)

Hamilton setlist in order:

Empty's Theme Park

Boy who could explode

Load me up/Love will tear us apart

Great whales of the sea

Born Losers

I'm a window

Silent army in the trees

Black helicopter

Last Parade

The future is x-rated

Apparitions

Weapon

Encore:

Vancouver national anthem

Us remains impossible

Odette

Unfortunately this was my one and only show of the tour. Like many on this board I usually catch multiple shows but this time around I just wasn't able to. The show was brilliant! Empty's was just as amazing as people have been saying it is and I was VERY impressed with The future is x-rated! I've seen Matt about 18 - 19 times and this was the first time I've ever seen it live and it blew me away. The set closer of weapon was also stunning! Album quality for sure! I'm sure many will comment about Odette being the closer but I thought it fit perfectly with the vibe of the show and ended it great. I'm always amazed by Matt's vocal abilities, especially since I've seen him a number of times when he has been ill. He still amazes me with his range and the strength of his voice even when he is under the weather. Cheers to another great performance.

If you are looking to see some photos that I took at the NAC, check out MGs personal Flickr page .. you could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw they were posted ;) I'll put some more to the Flickr mg2009tour group page when I get my Flickr account figured out. I'm hoping to take some more at Massey Hall on Friday, but I likely won't have the same vantage point :angry:

And indeed, it was my first show.. I'm late to the MG fan club party.. thanks for the link! So sad I didn't see that show.. I definately missed out...

Wow you got your pics on his personal Flickr page, nice. i was looking for Ottawa shots on the mgtour2009 page, thought thats where yours were too. That mgtour page is so unorganized its kind of frustrating. Wish it was organized by city or show.

Don't worry Matt will surely do another acoustic tour in the near future, he always says he enjoys it. I liked the acoustic show i saw much better than the band ones, so much more personal, though they are both great of course!

Matt was amazing as usual in Hamilton. The opener and closer were clear highlights. And just to comment on Odette, I've always been a huge fan of that song as it really shows off Matts voice and his capabilities and was very happy to hear it as a closer. Also I felt Silent Army, Load me up and Weapon were great points of the show.

He's never dissapointing.

Yeah, that's an impressive setlist. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's the first time he's opened with Empty's. Usually it's way towards the end of the set. I also wish we could have gotten the one-two punch of Silent Army/Black Helicopter at the Vancouver show I was at. Between that and X-rated, I'm jealous. What was the banter like, and does he seem to be getting over his cold/flu bug? I expect actual boots from the Massey Hall shows, and it'd be great if Matt was in perfect shape for 'em.

The banter at the Hamilton show was pretty good....he didn't talk alot (not compared to some shows) but he was clearly in a good mood. He told a funny story about St. John's Ambulence/opening for The Who which was funny. He also mentioned about being sick. All in all the banter was good and the audience was good too!

Edited by MorningMaker

Ya, his St. Johns Ambulance story was pretty good. I was actually hoping he would talk more, it's always either very entertaining or very informative. I'm surprised he didn't talk more after the responce he got from the crowd when he asked if we wanted to hear his story.

Ya I was pleasantly surprised with the Hamilton audience. They were very receptive when he was talking. The last time I saw Matt in Hamilton was during the acoustic tour and alot of people were shouting out during the entire show. I was hoping he would've talked a little bit more too, maybe another story or something, but the entire show was great! I personally think the Hospital Music songs are coming across even better this tour than last, obviously since the band is more familiar with them, but the added bonus of the band on backing vocals has added a nice touch!

Tonight (Massey 1) was great. I'll let someone else supply the setlist (I could probably figure it out, but I'm sure somebody wrote it down) - he finished with a taste (acoustic) of The National's "Fake Empire".

Amazing that the few times he coughed was when he was talking, not when he was singing.

(Look out - a jaguar!)

my virgin post on here, yay!

toronto set list, dec. 18

on nights like tonight

avalanche

the boy who could explode

last parade

the future is x-rated

great whales of the sea

born losers

the vancouver national anthem

load me up/love will tear us apart

apparitions

weapon

encore:

giant

us remains impossible

empty's theme park

fake empire (cover)

i have been to many mg shows and this one was the best by far. only a few bits of banter, but quality banter it was. matt's voice sounded amazing and the band is awesome. it's true what they say, the live version of empty's theme park is pretty wild.

i hadn't planned to go twice, but now i'm looking for a ticket for tomorrow...if anyone hears of an extra (or three) let me know!

The show was good, the band and matt were awesome.

I thought the crowd was a bit meh... people around me were just standing there with arms crossed...

Oh well...

the music was awesome as always!!!

at least they were standing... that's more than most of the shows I think.