here is no why

Official Tour Setlist/review Thread 2009/2010

The show was really great even though there were no big surprises setlist-wise. The crowd for some reason had an issue standing/staying up which was kind of annoying, it wasn't until I think Load Me Up that everyone stood and stayed that way until the end of the show. While waiting for the encore to start everyone in the venue started chanting 'k-i-c-k-a-s-s that's the way we spell success' from Giant until the band came back on, which was really awesome. I still can't choose which night was better, both were just so amazing!! ;)

I got there late tonight, right as Matt came out during Mother Mother's set - I think they pranked Mother Mother and/or Stu during their set, but I'm not sure. If that's confusing - Stu played one song with Mother Mother.

Matt, his band, and the crew all came out during 'Body Of Years' and threw footballs back and fourth from one end of the stage to the other, Stu joined in too even though he was playing with them, it was really fun to watch aha.

Funny to have a cluster of bored members at tonite's show, half-unbeknownst. I enjoyed the set, a HELLUVA lot more than I enjoyed the last time I saw MG at Massey, which was the live album recording. They are a great band now, very comfortable and tight. I take back my reservations regarding Stu. The only regret I have of not going last nite as well is missing VNA. Highlights for me were Silent Army and Volcanoes. Nice to meet Alex & his friend Justice as well - hope you had a safe ride back to Barrie man, geez! Until next tour, fuckers! Can't come soon enuff ;)

I enjoyed tonight's show more than last night, the crowd took awhile to get into it (and stay standing) but there seemed to be a little more energy, at least in my section (I had the exact same seat both nights) and like Owen said, it seemed like he was giving a little extra.

highlights Silent Army, ASR, Volcanoes, and the entire encore. And weapon is always so so good.

load me up (without love will tear us apart - matt made a big cutting gesture at blake right when they would have gone into it)

well he did say last night it was becoming predictable.

I enjoyed tonight MUCH more than Montreal. Maybe it was because i had a better view, but tonight the band just seemed way more "on". Loved Champions, I was dying to hear it in Montreal, although I have to admit, I really wish they had played Giant after the chanting, but I see why they didn't. Great to see I'm A Window and Alert Status Red as I missed the last couple tours since Avalanche. And, I can safely say, between tonight and Montreal, I've seen all of Vancouver live. My verdict - Last Parade, Great Whales, Volcanoes, Trees, Fought To Fight It, National Anthem and Empty's are all far better live than they are on the album, but I prefer the studio versions of Explode, Impossible and Nights. Just my opinion though. Can't wait til the next one.

Nice to meet Alex & his friend Justice as well - hope you had a safe ride back to Barrie man, geez!

Thanks man, got home safe! it was nice meeting you too.

Anyways, show was good, but meh, I guess I`m more of a hits person cause the setlist left me slightly unsatisfied, having Giant (doesn`t matter how many times Ive heard the thing live) would have made a difference. But yea, all in all, good show.

So, just got back from the show. Not sure if I enjoyed tonight or last night more. I'd have to say they were about even. Great variety between sets for the two shows so I'm very happy about that. I was on the left floor where the audience participation seemed to be lacking. Me and my gf jumped at the chance to stand when HTB come on so early in the set, and then halfway through Great Whales, security asked us to sit down. I think the 2 people behind us complained, and the were honestly the only couple in the venue that were left sitting for the entire show. Sort of annoying that we had to piss off the only 2 people at the show that wasn't feeling the energy.

So yes, so fucking happy that he played Champions! I didn't see it coming at all. We were all expecting Giant but we got an even better tune, IMO. The first band show at Massey Hall I could hardly stand that song and felt robbed that I had missed it ever since. So yeah, very happy to hear Champions. And we got Silent Army which was incredible.

It was very fun seeing everyone come out during Mother Mother's set. At the end of the show one of the crew members tossed one of te footballs out to some guy who for some reason ended up giving it to my girlfriend who then gave it to me. So I left tonight with one of Stu's picks, a setlist, AND the tour ending footballs! Not too shabby, I'd say.

NOTE: I was surprised to see I'm A Window being played without the capo. Gave the song a different sound, but to be perfectly honest I prefer it being played in its original key. But vocally it's a very demanding song so I totally understand.

Great show.

Also, I'm writing this from my girlfriend's place so please understand the feminine bedspread in the photo ;)

13742_209162691615_504561615_3173579_1166797_n.jpg

Edited by jjazz

Agh, are you guys serious? I wish I'd seen this earlier - I was literally sitting behind you all - 6th row, seat 44. (Which, oddly enough, was Computer's seat last night.) I hope I wasn't singing too loudly. ;)

Holy shit eh, it is indeed a small world, or venue I should say. There were definitely a few of us in there tonight. And yea no worries, you weren`t singing that loud hahaha

Tonight was epic!!!! The set was amazing. Some songs remain the same, but I was so stoked with some of the Hospital Music tracks and seriously, Alert Status Red... didn't think I'd hear that one this tour!!

We also got there right when Stu got on for "Body of Years" and the band came out to throw those footballs.

The only thing about both nights, is that people didn't get up. Especially tonight, was much worse.

I got yelled at for getting up and dancing during Hello Timebomb... like what? It's a fucking rock concert... oh well.

I enjoyed tonight MUCH more than Montreal. Maybe it was because i had a better view, but tonight the band just seemed way more "on". Loved Champions, I was dying to hear it in Montreal, although I have to admit, I really wish they had played Giant after the chanting, but I see why they didn't. Great to see I'm A Window and Alert Status Red as I missed the last couple tours since Avalanche. And, I can safely say, between tonight and Montreal, I've seen all of Vancouver live. My verdict - Last Parade, Great Whales, Volcanoes, Trees, Fought To Fight It, National Anthem and Empty's are all far better live than they are on the album, but I prefer the studio versions of Explode, Impossible and Nights. Just my opinion though. Can't wait til the next one.

Really? Montreal was awesome.

Although, I did prefer tonight too!! ;)

I'm actually glad he didn't play Giant tonight, it was "unpredictable" ... and that's what makes a good show... :angry:

I really enjoyed last nights show, as a whole it was much better that the previous night's show. Granted I had great company on the first night, which helped make the abnoxious drunk chicks in front of us more bareable.

After seeing the Camera Nazi in full force on Friday, I had to bring a decoy shitty camera which I used for most of the night. And to make matters worse a security gaurd pulled up a chair and was literally sitting a meter away from me the entire concert facing the audiance. Lucky, he was beside me, and not infront of me, so by the encore he stopped looking over, and I could use my better camera. Not that the picture quality improved that much, as I'm still getting used to the new camera, but still, it's the principle.

Pics can be found Here.

Overall I liked the set list more, the energy was way up, more banter (which is always great), and lots of randomness. Great time.

I even picked up one of those bootleg MG T-shirts the street people were selling, cause the price droped from $10 to $5 on the second night =P

St. John's setlist in case it hasnt been posted yet:

boy explode, hello time bomb, great whales, load me up, born losers, last parade, future is x-rated, silent army, black helicoptor, apparitions, weapon

encore:

giant, odette, vancouver national anthem

Really? Montreal was awesome.

Although, I did prefer tonight too!! ;)

I'm actually glad he didn't play Giant tonight, it was "unpredictable" ... and that's what makes a good show... :angry:

Don't get me wrong, Montreal was very awesome, it's what motivated me to go again last night. I just thought last night was a far better show.

Looking back on the show I went to, I really miss hearing Single Spark Explosion and 99% of us is failure. I get why he chose to play born losers, but I forgot how awesome these 2 songs are live.

I was disappointed when Matt played Virgin Fest in Calgary, because I knew I wouldn't to hear those two songs, but hearing Explosion when he played here in November was absolutely killer, and made me appreciate it a lot more I think. I'd really love to hear 99 with the full band though. Maybe next time.

I am back from Toronto, and I really enjoyed the show a lot. I thought the setlist was great, even though Volcanoes was played. But I was told to sit down during Time Bomb, and Load Me Up.

Edit: The openers of Silent Army, and Explode was awesome, great combination for the openers. I was very surprised to hear a lot of Hospital music at the show, and was excited with the Champions, and Odette combo for the encore. Fake Empire was a welcomed surprise, since I though it was a one shot deal. Empty's by far made my night. Everyone was just into it band wise. Weapon was outstanding as well. I am very well pleased for the amount of energy and chemistry the band has with Matt.

Edited by Audio of Being

Hey Kids...

I've been following this board closely waiting for my chance to see him on the tour! Don't post here often but always follow to see what songs I might be in for.. My GF got me these tix as a birthday present and made sure she got us real close...we were 2nd row, right on the centre isle, on the right side....to make things sweeter, the two seats in front of us were the only ones in the front row I think that were empty for the show, so nothing between us and the stage!

I have seen Matt probably about 10 times now, and this is definitely in the top 3 that I have seen! Wow, I have to say, I've been on the fence about Champions, but that was a KILLER performance of it we saw lastnite...and Empty's obviously a treat as well.....

the atmosphere at Massey - holy shit - SO worth going there over another venue.....we are from Barrie and I would drive the hour there in a HEARTBEAT rather than watch the show in a shithole college bar here. Everyone silent, listening, not shouting 'Play rico!' or anything like that....actually the silence gave us chills (as someone else here already said), I was on cloud 9 listening to him play.....and that add-in accoustic cover at the end, man, the quiet that the whole audience gave him was breathtaking. Overall, WOW.

It was her first Matt Good show, and she's hooked now too...she's asking me about the Buffalo show....so who else is in???

I really enjoyed last nights show, as a whole it was much better that the previous night's show. Granted I had great company on the first night, which helped make the abnoxious drunk chicks in front of us more bareable.

Hey there.. right back at ya! Always fun to go with another fan ;) Although it appears by all accounts I really missed the "highlight" show... I'm envious...

Glad you were able to get some pictures, even if the conditions weren't ideal.

If the two girls who sat behind me in the Balcony post here. Sorry I ruined your view during Hello Time Bomb, and Load Me Up, but I came for those songs. It is a concert, people do stand, so get over it.

Really? Hello Time Bomb and Load Me Up?? Did you forget about those shows he did in 1999?

If the two girls who sat behind me in the Balcony post here. Sorry I ruined your view during Hello Time Bomb, and Load Me Up, but I came for those songs. It is a concert, people do stand, so get over it.

Man, i think i might change my mind and actually buy one of those "I hear Matt Good fans are real assholes" t-shirts. When people go to a ROCK concert, and the best ROCK songs come on, it is entirely understandable - no - expected for people to stand up and start rocking out.

You buy tickets for Vancouver Symphony Orchestra, you sit. You buy tix to Matthew Good with a full band, you stand.

If you sit because you're too shy to stand when not many other people are standing either, thats totally understandable and i'm fine with that. But when someone else is standing up in front of you wanting to enjoy the rock concert and you tell them to sit down, then you are just a goddamn loser asshole. And to all you loser asshole MG fans, next time Matt goes on tour again either please respect everyone's right to rock-out or hit up this link instead.

I personally do not enjoy venues where you can sit for a rock concert. All rock concerts should standing amidst a group of nuts rocking out all night. It should be mandatory.

I'm serious! Sitting for a rock concert is just awkward and lame. I'd rather be forced to stand all night, though I wouldn't have to be forced...