here is no why

Official Tour Setlist/review Thread 2009/2010

haven't posted on here in a while, but I think I must after seeing this setlist. Without a doubt matt always brings the RAWK no matter what song he is playing, and I understand the sickness and limited rehearsal time issues but for someone who constantly prattles on about the monotony of playing 'the hits' he surely has never really went against that formula the past couple years. I am a little disappointed with this initial setlist. you think with having the same band for a year, especially with members who actually recorded Vancouver with him (excluding Milos) that they are going to have a bigger back catalog, I could personally do without htb, load me up, us remains impossible, and empty's theme park sounds a little exhausting live with the acoustic guitar... even giants been hanging around in his set far too long. I would love to hear any other track off Vancouver, and anything in his back repertoire that isn't one of his write-off singles. I would think matt has the audience that appreciates a more narrowed down set list by now. length of the show or how many songs he plays don't matter to me, just the content within that period of time. I am without a doubt still seeing him a couple times this tour, his band is tight, and I actually love Stu, he's an awesome guitarist and has great chemistry with matt. bass and drummer are both rock steady too! here's hoping for a change up in the set once the band gets their touring hat on.

Edited by Paranoid Android

there wasn't that much keyboard on vancouver.

Lots of strings though, which Pete was playing live via keyboard last tour.

I could also do without HTB, LMU, Apparitions et al, and I think he will probably will end up cutting out at least one of those songs each night once the tour progresses. He did, after all, not play HTB a few times last tour, so who knows.

Lots of strings though, which Pete was playing live via keyboard last tour.

Yeah. Not to mention sound effects and whatever else Matt added to it, can't describe it. I get the feeling that without it, Vancouver would sound bare. Last Parade sounds so atmospheric it feels almost impossible to strip it down to just acoustic. (although matt did just that, eh)

Setlist isn't so bad in my opinion. They got the main objective out of the way; play songs from Vancouver. I'm all up for them playing some hits over and over, they've certainly earned their way up there. Would just be more happier with more variety. But that shall come with time.

Edited by eclipse

Nanaimo:

1. Silent Army in the trees

2. Boy Who Could Explode

3. Great Whales of the Sea

4. Born Losers

5. Volcanoes

6. Us Reamins Impossible

7. Load Me Up

8. Vancouver National Amthem

9. Weapon

10. Last Parade

11. Apparitions

12. Empty's Theme Park

Encore

Giant

Fought to Fight It

Everything is Automatic

Man, even the greatest hits tour had less radio material. Nice to see the National Anthem in there, though.

But lets face it, the bigger your body of work is, the more recognizable songs you'll have in your catalog. It's just a little disappointing seeing the same old stuff being played night after night. I think we got a little greedy with the acoustic tours.

haven't posted on here in a while, but I think I must after seeing this setlist. Without a doubt matt always brings the RAWK no matter what song he is playing, and I understand the sickness and limited rehearsal time issues but for someone who constantly prattles on about the monotony of playing 'the hits' he surely has never really went against that formula the past couple years. I am a little disappointed with this initial setlist. you think with having the same band for a year, especially with members who actually recorded Vancouver with him (excluding Milos) that they are going to have a bigger back catalog, I could personally do without htb, load me up, us remains impossible, and empty's theme park sounds a little exhausting live with the acoustic guitar... even giants been hanging around in his set far too long. I would love to hear any other track off Vancouver, and anything in his back repertoire that isn't one of his write-off singles. I would think matt has the audience that appreciates a more narrowed down set list by now. length of the show or how many songs he plays don't matter to me, just the content within that period of time. I am without a doubt still seeing him a couple times this tour, his band is tight, and I actually love Stu, he's an awesome guitarist and has great chemistry with matt. bass and drummer are both rock steady too! here's hoping for a change up in the set once the band gets their touring hat on.

I agree 100%.......except I really like Us Remains Impossible and want to hear it.

Good to see Fought to Fight it in the newer setlist.

Edited by Vance

Just chiming in on the show now.

Firstly I'd like to say what an energetic show. The band really seemed to be getting off on playing with one another and were into it all night. I thought most of the Vancouver songs sounded awesome live, although from where I was sitting sometimes the vocals were slightly low in the mix.

As for the setlist comment I thought a couple of comparisons could be used from my own experience. I last saw Matt Good at the exact same venue in late June of 2008. The overlapped songs from that show to this show were 5. So in other words I heard 10 different songs this show from the last just over a year ago. How many other bands who've been around for 15+ years show that much variety from tour to tour? Granted 9 of those songs were from "Vancouver" Which I think is amazing, when an artist can feel strongly enough about new material that they don't feel the need to fall back onto older stuff as much. The fact that songs like "Hello Time Bomb" weren't played and the show still rocked are testament to the strength of the new material.

As for set length at 15 songs it was a few songs less then the 2008 show, But it clocked in at 2 minutes longer in time, it's clearly do to so many of the lengthy new songs. "Empty's Theme Park" takes the place of 2-3 shorter songs, But to be honest I'd be pissed off if that got dropped, it was an absolute menace live with that middle section.

All fans are always going to want long setlists that are entirerly different from night to night, But I still think this setlist is getting a bad rap, mostly from people who've yet to hear it live. I enjoyed this years show ten times more than last year, what it really comes down to I guess is your opinion on the Vancouver material, if you like it then the set will feel incredible.

All that being said, I'd still absolutly love it if Matt strung up the acoustic for a couple song double encore. ;)

If I get the 2nd show setlist when I catch Matt in London, I will be completely satisfied... that set seems to work a lot better with the addition of Faught To Fight It and Vancouver National Anthem. Hope this trend continues... starting off with Silent Army sounds really interesting.

Is Empty's Theme Park acoustic on the tour? Can anyone confirm that? Or is it acoustic, then hard middle, the acoustic again?

I would prefer the whole thing to be electric...

In any case, I prefer the second set list. If I could get that, I would be happy. I would still like at least 1 non-single older song though (beside Giant, which is a staple).

Duncan setlist (Friday Nov 6th), as best as I can recall:

Giant

Us Remains Impossible

Great Whales Of The Sea

Single Explosion

Born Losers

The Boy Who Could Explode

A Silent Army In The Trees

Black Helicopters

Weapon

Load Me Up/Walking On The Moon

Apparitions

Empty's Theme Park

Encore:

Last Parade

Fought to Fight It

Kicking the set off with Giant was pretty awesome. It took Matt a couple of songs to warm up (his vocals on Giant weren't great) but once he hit his stride he was fine. All the new songs sounded really good live too. Weapon was, as ever, completely brilliant.

The banter was really funny between songs too, including stories about how Matt was getting over "pemonia" (sic) ;) (with comments about how everyone cheers if he says that), Matt's childhood baseball experiences, playing led zep's "When the levee breaks" in different houses simultaneously with his friends really loudly, being woken up the other night by a pirate banging a ninja on a car hood (which he told in Nanaimo as well apparently), and wanting to run off to Palm Springs right now to retire.

Also, Load Me Up was brilliant - something went wrong with a gizmo on the guitarist's belt (by the looks of it) or something, and he had a roadie fiddling with him for a good minute or so while they were playing... he didn't miss a beat though, even as Matt was watching and looking bemused while singing from centre-stage (also not skipping a word!). Then the guitarist went offstage for a bit and they did some impromptu drum solos to kill time til he got back, and ended up playing a bit of The Police's "Walking on the Moon" when he eventually came back, and then got back into Load Me Up and finished it :angry:. And apparently Matt forgot to add Last Parade to the setlist in the morning, which is why it was first song in the encore!

He was going to do something else (a slow one) straight after Last Parade, but couldn't be bothered and skipped it, and went straight to Fought to Fight it instead :angry:

I don't think he did On Nights Like Tonight at tonight's show (can't recall exactly, but am more convinced that he didn't). He definitely didn't do The Vancouver National Anthem or Volcanoes, but did everything else from the new album.

It was a really great show :angry:.

Edited by EDG