here is no why

Official Tour Setlist/review Thread 2009/2010

Yes Empty's is electric, Matt just plays an acoustic on it Stu is going all electric for it.

The setlist for Duncan is bang on.

The song Matt was going to play in the encore instead of Fought To Fight it was "champions of Nothing" he started the first verse decided he was playing it too fast then said "fuck it I don't want to play this song, get me a Fendere Telecaster."

We really can't (shouldn't) complain with any Matt Good show. He's amazing live and I'm never dissapointed. The videos I've seen of the new stuff live looks incredible and I'm pretty excited just for that. I'd almost prefer just to hear the entire new album. Of course we all like to hear certain older gems that we love, but the new(er) band has already learned a lot of new material with the new album.

Looks like there's starting to be more setlist variation than I'd thought there would be. Surprised to see A Single Explosion and (almost) Champions Of Nothing... sounds like there's some spontaneity to the shows too... I like feeling like anything can happen at a gig and like the setlist isn't just the same old crap as the previous show. Starting to look like HTB is on the outside looking in... this does not bother me. I just hope Volcanoes gets played in London, that's my favourite track on the album.

The setlist for Duncan is bang on.

Woo, I guess my new technique for remembering the songs must work then (remember what old songs he played, then listen to the newest album and figure out which songs he played from that) ;).

The song Matt was going to play in the encore instead of Fought To Fight it was "champions of Nothing" he started the first verse decided he was playing it too fast then said "fuck it I don't want to play this song, get me a Fendere Telecaster."

I thought it might have been that one... shame he didn't play that as I really like that song, but it would have slowed things down a bit. As it is I thought the last two songs worked well together. (he did something similar a bit earlier, he started playing a song in completely the wrong key - I think it was Silent army? - and then (after a bit of banter) got back to playing it in the right key with a different guitar. It was quite amusing :angry: ).

Woo, I guess my new technique for remembering the songs must work then (remember what old songs he played, then listen to the newest album and figure out which songs he played from that) :angry: .

I usually just abbreviate the song titles and enter them into my notepad program on my phone. That way, I am sure to remember it all ;)

I really hope he plays "On Nights Like Tonight" at the Nov. 10th show in Van City.

And I'd trade "Weapon", "LMU", and HTB" for "Avalanche", "BSOBL" or "CON" any day...though, I understand why he needs to play the token 'singles', as not everyone in the crowds are hard-cores.

I'll be at the 2nd Vancouver show on Tuesday... I was going to avoid looking at setlists until then, but I cracked just now haha.

I was also expecting the sets to be longer by a few more songs, but I guess the actual run time is about the same as the last tour. And yeah, I was expecting to see at least 1 or 2 in there that would be a bit of a suprise, like something more rare that he hasn't played live for a while.

I guess, maybe for him, he would rather play a lot of songs off the new album rather than older back catelogue stuff. It's understandable, I wouldn't really call these setlists a "greatest hits", he is there to play Vancouver, which is what he is doing. I'm excited to hear the Vancouver songs live, because those are ones that he has never played live before.

I kind of speculate as well that part of it might be due to his band being Toronto now, I don't think he gets to rehearse as much as he did with the band before that. Also rehearsals were contended with Matt being sick, and I guess he is still getting over it. We might see a few different songs popping up as it goes along.

Anyway, I'm glad that I looked now, I would rather go in knowing to expect a setlist of basically Vancouver and the singles (not that it's a bad thing). Maybe because he is doing 2 shows at the same venue in Vancouver, he may try to make the set a bit different on the 2nd night.

On a side note, I'm also really looking forward to seeing Mother Mother now, I checked them out a while ago and ended up buying both of their albums. I'm really enjoying them.

Edited by Curtster

I was also expecting the sets to be longer by a few more songs, but I guess the actual run time is about the same as the last tour.

I think he played for about 1.75 hours in Duncan, he started around 9pm and finished just before 11. But bear in mind that there was a fair bit of banter between a few of the songs too (which IMO is great. I don't like it when a band just shows up and plays songs and doesn't talk to/at the audience. And Matt's banter is really entertaining too).

Edited by EDG

My opinion:

The tours that I liked most were the Avalance Tours, White Light, and In A Coma tours since Matt used a full band on those records, and really knew the material on the road. I think if Matt did that with this album the band could rehearse more, and learn a lot more songs, and concerts over all would have a better, and longer setlits.

On a side note, I'm also really looking forward to seeing Mother Mother now, I checked them out a while ago and ended up buying both of their albums. I'm really enjoying them.

For the first time since Limblifter and Auf der Maur opened for MG am I excited to see an opening band I know. Wil rocked, Ladies and Gentleman were awesome, Melissa McClelland was amazing and Dala was fun; however, I didn't know of them until the tour. But Mother Mother and Matthew Good? That's a great one-two punch and I have the benefit of knowing I have to record the opening band, rather than regretting it halfway through the set.

I think this was it, may have a couple middle songs in wrong order

Empty's Theme Park

Boy Who Could explode

Fought to Fight it

Born Losers

Great Whales

Volcanoes

Load Me Up (extended jam with "man on the Moon")

Alert Status Red

Last Parade

Apparitions

Weapon

Silent Army

I'm a Window

This show was a little shorter than the Duncan and Nanaimo shows. It clocked in at 1 hour 27 minutes. Not as much banter as Duncan and not as many songs as Nanaimo.

Edited by adam_777

Well one nice thing is that it seems the setlists are pretty varied from night to night. The order and the non-Vancouver songs seem to be changing up every night. Last tour, it was pretty much the same setlist every night, with maybe 1 or 2 songs changing at most and the general order being the same. Although all the non-Vancouver ones are ones that they played on the last tour. I think that might just be due to them not having time to rehearse anything after they got through Vancouver. It will be interesting to see what he pulls out in Vancouver, as the shows in Van and Toronto were bigger last time. I'm still hoping that he goes solo with acoustic for one or two at some point. I'm happy to see he played Alert Status Red and I'm a Window, those would two songs I would like to hear.

Although I still think that the show could easily be longer than an hour and a half. It might have something to do with how long they have venues for though, I remember him saying something like that last year.

Yeah a lot of venues have sound curfews so the shows can only go on for so long. Nice to see some WLR&RR representation at this show and agree it's cool that the setlist is getting shuffled up... crossing fingers that he trots out The Devil's In Your Details at some point... love that tune. HTB has missed its third show in a row now? That has to be a record... like that they're trying to freshen-up LMU a bit... Liking that Faught To Fight It has stayed in the set... very interesting to follow along on this tour! ;)

I hope to not hear The Devil's in Your Details. Next to Middle Class Gangsters, it's probably my least favorite MG tune.

i'd probably rather listen to jenni's song, that should give you an idea of my hatred for devil's in the details

I don't understand why everyone hates it. It's fun.

exactly

Edited by finboy

Devil's In Your Details is fine. I don't understand why everyone hates it. It's fun.

Agreed.

And what is the problem with Middle Class Gangsters? I don't understand why you're so against that song. It's not Rico. Not only is it nowhere near horrible, it's actually a pretty kick ass song with a sweet Dave Genn solo.