here is no why

Official Tour Setlist/review Thread 2009/2010

Firstly, allow me to preface this by saying that no matter what Matthew plays when I see him in the coming weeks, I will be satisfied. I am a huge fan of his body of work. What I do take issue with is the attitude displayed in his post. Matthew has been lucky enough to have had, and continue to have, success in the music industry and especially at a time now when it is in such dire straits. I have yet to display my opinions on the setlists for the current tour, however, I do not enjoy feeling as though if I did, the artist in question is telling me that my opinion amounts to shit and I can fuck off.

Allow me to be honest. I do feel as though the sets could be longer. I have seen multiple bands this year, most of whom generally play between 17-20 songs, playing a set around the 2hr+ mark. A few of those bands cost $10, but still manage to pull out 120 minutes of music even though they are playing for less money to a smaller crowd. I understand Matthews situation is different with him not having a permanent band, but myself, and I'm sure many other musicians on here, can learn Matts songs in 10-15 minutes (I learn by ear) so I'm sure professional session musicians can do the same. That is their job. Whether or not they live in Toronto or wherever, they still have the cd's to study and any live alterations can be brought about during rehearsals. I've seen bands who have line-up changes like you wouldn't believe, but still pull out old or rare songs.

If I'm paying $60 to see an artist, as I am with Matt, I reserve the right to opine on which songs I would like to see included or not. If I would love to see "Tripoli", then I am allowed to say so. If there is a song on the setlist I'd rather see removed, then I am allowed to say so. I am allowed to have fantasy setlists.

The part of Matt's post I took the biggest issue with was, "I'll play whatever I fucking want". What kind of message is this for, firstly your core fans who have supported you from the ninties or new fans who are only now discovering your impressive discography. You're not playing for yourself. You're playing for your fans. Without them, you don't have a job, basically. Ultimately you choose the final setlist, but if there are a number of fans who you know yearn for certain songs, if they're paying your wage, why not do them a favour? Play it acoustic even.

Anyhow, I do not wish to be disrespectful, just honest and like I said, whatever set is played when I see you, I will be happy purely out of my love of this music.

I agree with this almost 100%. The only thing I can disagree with is the number of songs. Matt has a number of "longer" songs so where most bands will fit in 2 3 minute songs, Matt has 1 - 6 or 7 minute tune. Great post, though.

Edited by ccf23

someone probably e-mailed him asking for a 12 hour setlist for $40.

okay, enough about that.

let's get back to talking about the tour.

$40 for 12 hours... not worth it, should be cheaper... ;)

ok, back on track...

So to the people who have went to the shows thus far... which song comes across better live than on record?

Oh yeah, this is also listed as a reviews thread, so I'll drop this here I guess, in case anyone didn't already see it:

http://www.vancouversun.com/Matthew+Good+M...4131/story.html

(also mentions the CBC recording, perhaps not filming though...I'm confused because of a couple friends at last night's show saying they saw CBC-logo'ed cameras all over the place too. )

Cheers!

someone probably e-mailed him asking for a 12 hour setlist for $40.

okay, enough about that.

let's get back to talking about the tour.

Ok.

So do we think there will be a U.S. leg of the tour?! My only real hunch comes from the interview Matt did where he said "I'll probably be touring somewhere in the middle of America when the Olympics are actually being held."

Thoughts?

Edited by Gomo

Ok.

So do we think there will be a U.S. leg of the tour?! My only real hunch comes from the interview Matt did where he said "I'll probably be touring somewhere in the middle of America when the Olympics are actually being held."

Thoughts?

well from that quote, it surely seems like there will be a US leg.

Well, for what it's worth, Mother Mother was really cool. Much more upbeat than the Sun reviewer lead me to expect. I will say the vocal harmonies throughout were a nice touch, and it really looked like they were having fun up there.

They sure played a short set though. I made it out to just shy of half an hour.

Now comes the hardest waiting part...

okay, this thread has been cleaned up a bit.

please stick to what the thread is about "setlists and reviews.`go to that other thread if you've got a comment about it.

I apologize, and this will be the last thing I say that goes off topic here, but I was a little late to the party it seems, and I had a lot of input on what this whole argument seems to be about. So for the sake of the threads integrity if anyone has any replies to this comment feel free to PM me. So here it comes and there it goes:

Why am I not surprised at all? I was at work today and read Matt's post on his site using my phone, and the narcissist in me couldn't help but think it had a little bit to do with the comments going on here. So I guess Matt has said his piece and that's fine. I seem to have missed it, since it's nowhere to be found anymore.

What irritates me is how many people come jumping to Matts defense the second he comments. I'm not saying he's wrong or anything, I'm not even saying anybody is wrong or right, this is art that we're discussing. It's completely objective. A lot of us here are Matts biggest fans, so we have every right to our comments and opinions. So does anyone for that matter. I understand the moderators have to keep an eye on things, and there are many exceptions where comments are just hurtful and unwelcome. But we know what we're talking about, and we have a lot of just comments. But come on now, what happened to our spines?

Matthew: I admire your work a great deal, and I will continue to as long as I'm living, I can assure you. Whatever you choose to play, I will be the first person to shake your hand (maybe nod my head instead given recent bugs going around now) and say "Wow, great fucking show, man. Thanks so much." If anything I said made you reconsider your position as an accessible and generous artist, or upset you given your vast knowledge of the way the business you're involved in works, I wholeheartedly apologize. You have a body of work. Your past two records might be the most accurately portrayed pieces conjured up yet, and it makes perfect sense to perform those songs while they are close to your heart. You have every right to play whatever you play.

If you're waiting for me to say "but people are paying money to see you and it is your responsibility to entertain them with a good setlist", it's not coming. Would I rather you play something off of AoB than a better known recent single? Probably. It depends what songs we're talking about, because I prefer to hear some songs rather than others. I still love to see you perform, so it truly doesn't matter. I don't take for granted the times I saw you pull out the old gems. It lets me know what your show is capable of, and you've raised my concert bar a couple times. One person out of how many other people, though? You can't cater to everyone all of the time. You don't even have to to cater, period.

Let's put it this way: If I put your entire catalog on shuffle and listen to the playlist for 15 songs before the end of my trip to work, do I get upset if it didn't play my favourite songs? Absolutely not. Did I put your entire catalog on shuffle and listen to the playlist for 15 songs before the end of my trip to work? You bet your ass, I did.

Don't take it personally. Play what you play. We'll be here to watch you do it because we like it.

Thanks in advance for not deleting this post. ;)

Well wow! Ok, I didn't keep track of the setlist, but I'm sure somebody did.

That was awesome, and I'm sorry for any naysayers out there.

Most notable for me tonight was Empty's Theme Park. I didn't realise that the live version was going to be so radically different from the album version, but it totally rocked.

Also great was that Matt came out for the encore and did the first two songs of it acoustic. That's the best way to hear Strange Days, IMHO.

I guess I was totally wrong. Tonight's list was quite a departure from last night's.

That's all for now. I'm too wiped to think. More later...

Metal Airplanes.

Can't wait to see a setlist too, 'cuz I'm trying to remember what else was different. We got the first verse of Suburbia before Matt declared that he was playing it in the wrong key and stopped, and Odette. Ummmm...damn, I can't even think anymore...

Oh, and we also got Load Me Up, and Everything Is Automatic. I know he missed at least one of those last night. Most noteable thing missing tonight (for me) was Black Helicopter.

Not complaining though! ;)

Oh yeah, and something else that was worth mentioning. Of course, people were yelling out song names all night, and at one point Matt said "we should just do a kid's show". Not skipping a beat, some guy in the audience, in a stroke of brilliance (IMHO) yells out "Baby Beluga!".

Now, since everyone around me was cracking up, I missed Matt's comeback. Did anyone catch it?

From memory:

On Nights Like Tonight

Avalanche

Boy Who Could Explode

Great Whales of the Sea

Single Explosion

Born Losers

Odette

Load Me Up/Love Will Tear Us Apart

I'm a Window

First Verse of Suburbia

Apparitions

Empty's Theme Park

Metal Airplanes(acoustic)

Strange Days(acoustic)

Giant

Weapon

Automatic

This show was probably better than the first. Matt must of been in a great mood cause damn did he talk a lot. Highlight was probably the Love Will Tear Us Apart jam. When I walked up the stairs my friend and I noticed Matt's mom and dad were there along with his GF and her daughter. I was worried that Matt would barely talk and censor himself but his mouth on this night was dirtier than the first. Also the between song banter was of a way lighter tone this time. Matt told some pretty funny stories. Totally glad I flew out here for the shows.

It was an amazing show.... Way better than the one I was at last year. I haven't been to a lot of his shows like some people on here, but I don't know how it could get much better than that. He did a lot of talking on the mic to which was hilarious. I'm glad I was there, Matt was on his game tonight for sure.

The Encore was epic, I was so happy he did a couple solo acoustic and I don't think he could have picked three better songs to end on.

Edited by Curtster

Whoops, double posted somehow...

Anyway, I was gonna mention some funny bits.

The story about the place around Cape Bretton (some Cove, missed the name) that screwed The Brick out of a bunch of furniture by replacing all their doors with smaller ones so it couldn't be returned. Is that for real? Gotta google it later.

Once we get past dissing each other's hockey teams, the world will be a perfect utopia.

If the world had only one ruler, he'd get the Nobel peace prize every year.

Getting a bunch of vitamin B injections because...something to do with enjoying seeing the guys get poked in the ass.

Yeah, it was pretty off-colour for much of the evening, but in a hilarious way.

Matt even interjected at one point to ask the audience if it was weird for us with the band being funny in between songs that were supposed to be "all serious".

Fun times...

Edited by umdesch4

From memory:

On Nights Like Tonight

Avalanche

Boy Who Could Explode

Great Whales of the Sea

Single Explosion

Born Losers

Odette

Load Me Up/Love Will Tear Us Apart

I'm a Window

First Verse of Suburbia

Apparitions

Empty's Theme Park

Metal Airplanes(acoustic)

Strange Days(acoustic)

Giant

Weapon

Automatic

Wow, that's a pretty swell setlist [as all have been to date IMO]. Thanks for posting: Glad you had a good time ;)

That setlist just made my morning. I just hope he still has some stories left in him when he he gets out here.

The story about the place around Cape Bretton (some Cove, missed the name) that screwed The Brick out of a bunch of furniture by replacing all their doors with smaller ones so it couldn't be returned. Is that for real? Gotta google it later.

Meat Cove by chance? They're the butt end of a lot of jokes out here, but in this case you're going to need to be more specific. There's a lot of Coves on the Island.