here is no why

Official Tour Setlist/review Thread 2009/2010

I really wish now that I had just sprung for the second show. I haven't ever seen back to back shows, and I was assuming that it would be quite like the first, but after reading what you guys said, it would have been worth it to get tickets for both shows. I feel a bit sad now ;)

Oh well, I hadn't seen him since Avalanch tour ( for various reasons) and that was when I lived in Calgary, so I'm just really happy that I got to see him on home turf again. Perhaps I will buy tickets for both shows next time. Enjoy the upcoming shows everyone !!

I went to both nights and I had a great time at each one. Mother Mother was a terrific opening band, a lot of energy and it looked like they were having lots of fun. Their music kind of gave me a Pixies vibe, which I really liked. Matthew was (I felt) on his game both nights. The first show seemed to be focused on getting through the new album, loved hearing the new songs live. The second night felt very unpredictable with his song selection, Hospital Music was getting a lot of attention. His banter was great. My girlfriend (it was her first MG show) said "I didn't know this would be a comedy show as well". It was true, he had the whole crowd laughing. Of course after the show I heard random people commenting about how they hated it "stupid political rant" and someone yelled during the first show "I paid to watch a concert not to be part of a rally". Honestly, Matt rants every show, I love it, people should expect it and go with the flow. Matt is a great artist who commands the stage. His band is very easy going and fun to watch. If he's coming to your town and you don't have tickets, get on it because you won't be disappointed.

Can somebody confirm that it actually was Suburbia that we got the first verse of? As embarrassing as this is now, I just went and actually listened to Suburbia this morning, and I'm shaking my head now thinking that wasn't the song he started playing, at all. Now I'll be damned if I know what the heck that was, but when somebody corrects it, I'll have that forehead smack moment, I'm sure. Either way, it was something much older, like maybe off Loser Anthems. I'm listening to everything I can think of today, and it ain't coming to me. The worst part is, I was singing along with it, and now I can't remember a word of what I was singing. ;)

BTW, yes, it was Meat Cove (Matt's story about The Brick). I have a feeling he was completely pulling our legs with that story.

Oh yeah, also, on cocaine use (as best I can remember):

"It'd be like if every time you went out to mow your lawn, you ran over your leg because you had a hot nurse for a next-door neighbour. At some point, that shit's gotta stop, 'cuz, you know . . . she ain't putting out."

Just out of curiousity... were they attempting Suburbia as a full band or did Matt just try doing it solo-acoustic?

It was just Matt solo... I don't think he ever intended to play the whole thing. He was just messing around I think, maybe reacting to someone in the audience? I didn't quite catch exactly what was going on. And yes, it was infact Suburbia.

I loved the live version of Empty's Theme Park that he is doing, it's really different from the album, awesome. When they were playing Weapon, I was positive that was going to be the last song, but then they went into Automatic (which I've always wanted to hear live), so that was a great suprise.

Edited by Curtster

Yeah, but I was the first person to say it was Suburbia, and then noise pollution posted the set list from memory, possibly after having read my post. I'm wondering now if I haven't messed with everyone's collective memory. 'Cuz I'm sorry, the more times I actually listen to Suburbia today, the more convinced I am it was something else last night.

NEED RECORDING! ;)

(Ok, Curtster, if you say so. Was it possible he played from somewhere in the middle, rather than starting with the first verse, or something?)

Edited by umdesch4

Ok then, sorry for the distraction. I guess I'm just really tired today or something. BTW, I think the "lowlight" of the show was probably Matt's comment about Stevie Nicks getting coke blown up her ass. Everyone around me was laughing right up to that point, and then all of a sudden it went weird. Or was that just my little corner of the audience?

Definatly Suburbia I was in the front row and have it recorded.

Also, I dunno if it was a last second decision or not as I didn't have a setlist, But during Weapon, Matt walked up to everyband member nad mouthed "automatic" which Weapon then seemless flowed into. Being up front is awesome, you catch so much more shit.

By the way somebody did yell out Suburbia, followed by a request for WHite walls, Matt said that'd be interesting so at first I thought he was gonna play white walls, then he went into off key suburbia.

It was just Matt solo... I don't think he ever intended to play the whole thing. He was just messing around I think, maybe reacting to someone in the audience? I didn't quite catch exactly what was going on. And yes, it was infact Suburbia.

Yeah, I dunno though. He mentioned twice that he was playing it "in the wrong key though", as if warning the band (who all seemed totally ready to go with it) that they shouldn't jump in, 'cuz it was wrong. Then after he stopped he was joking around about not being able to sing that low. For this kind of thing, we need to see video, 'cuz I could swear that the whole band was "hovering" with picks and sticks, ready to kick into it. Then again, I'm the one who was questioning this morning if it even WAS Suburbia, so maybe I'm totally wrong.

Still, I won't be surprised AT ALL, when that song ends up on a setlist within the next couple of shows.

There's some recordings from the tour on youtube for those who haven't seen them yet and want to. Just type Matt Good in the search bar then click on uploaded this week.

Yes, and also here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/thecooperation/pool/

Look through the first 3-4 pages for anything with a "play" triangle in the bottom corner.

i was at cranbrook's

ok I think last night's was:

Apparitions

The Boy Who Could Explode

Great Whales Of The Sea

Alert Status Red

[Canadian Tire Banter]

On Nights Like Tonight

Avalanche

Last Parade

Load Me Up

[banter]