Muran

Desktop Or Laption

I'm looking for opinions on what we should do here.

Kevin and I are looking to either buy a new desktop, or get two laptops and share our files over a network. Which do you guys think is better? Kev and I pretty much only use our craptacular desktop for surfing, maybe watching movies and playing music.

We're also debating whether we should make the switch over to Mac. I like Macs, but Kev's not really too comfortable with them.

We're not gamers, and I'd personally like to be under a grand if possible. Price-point is a big thing here, because I'll most likely be footing the bill.

this is similar to what i built recently.

Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2

Intel i5 750

G-Skill 2x2GB DDR3-1333 Kit

Radeon HD4870 1GB

it's straight from the somethingawful forums. don't forget to pricematch it and get a case, keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. there is no printer port for a p55 and only one plug for a keyboard or mouse. the other has to be a usb.

Man, I didn't even realise I mispelled "laptop" in the most epic fail way possible.

Anyway, I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable about parts picking and stuff. I know PCs are so much more customizable. I just wouldn't know where to start.

Man, I didn't even realise I mispelled "laptop" in the most epic fail way possible.

Anyway, I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable about parts picking and stuff. I know PCs are so much more customizable. I just wouldn't know where to start.

Gimme a price range and I will put one together and send you the link...In 4 days.

Personally i think Mac's are waaaaay overpriced for the hardware you get. If you buy a Mac you are either rich, stupid, a mega-super fan of Macs and can't live without one, or you NEED it for work/school because of some of the specific programs they use.

My dad and I bought my mom a PC laptop for Xmas today for $599. Would have cost more than double for the same laptop if it were a Mac, which IMO is crazy.

My friend also bought a Sony laptop a while ago because he and his family are big Sony fans. He's crazy because those Sony laptops are ridiculously overpriced as well, like $100-200 more than another comparable laptop from a good brand

Wow, I didn't realise there were replies here, I hadn't read.

I went to Future Shop, and I was kind of keen on getting an Opened box, Macbook. I was told by other friends that if I wanted a laptop that had great longevity, and awesome support, and I'm not looking to customize to the max, a macbook is the way to go.

I might talk to Kevin about what he thinks about that Mac Mini, it looked cool on the website, but like I said, I'm an idiot when it comes to buying computer things...

I had nothing but problems with my macbook for 3 years. From the original purple colour that was left on the keyboard and trackpad, to a failed hard drive (expected), then a failed cd drive, and then memory recognition issues that wouldn't let me put the macbook to sleep, I had to restart it every time I closed the lid.

I suppose 3 years is a long time for a laptop? Either way, I bought an Acer that's 3x as good spec wise and it was only 499.

Not to mention windows 7 is basically tiger+leopard anyway, I'm more than happy to be back on a PC.

Wow, I didn't realise there were replies here, I hadn't read.

I went to Future Shop, and I was kind of keen on getting an Opened box, Macbook. I was told by other friends that if I wanted a laptop that had great longevity, and awesome support, and I'm not looking to customize to the max, a macbook is the way to go.

I might talk to Kevin about what he thinks about that Mac Mini, it looked cool on the website, but like I said, I'm an idiot when it comes to buying computer things...

What Computer just said about laptop lifespan is true (his name is "Computer" so i guess he should his shit eh? haha). You should consider that you're going to get a shorter life on a laptop than on a desktop. Depending on how you will handle your laptop (carry it around a lot, or mostly use it at home etc. Plus turning it off when not in use VS keeping it on even in sleep-mode 24/7, plus keeping it well ventilated VS always using it on your bed) you're going to get 3-4 years out of your laptop typically, sometimes less or more if you're lucky/unlucky. Meanwhile, a desktop can last you a decade, with usually a blown power-supply/fan as your only problems (sometimes a crapped-out harddrive if you're unlucky), but by that time you'll be really needing to upgrade it anyways.

Just something to consider. Value-wise a desktop is always the way to go any way you look at it, but you have to weigh that with your needs to have something you can take with you ie: laptop.

Edited by Moonlight_Graham

My middle of the road powerbook G4 is going on 6 years, but it looks like it's now time for it to retire. I use my work laptop for most things these days.

I haven't really shopped in the PC market for a number of years. I agree you can get a bunch more power for the same or less in a PC, but you have to give half of it back to windows anyway. I'm sort of a mac fan, so I'm a little bias.

That being said, it is my opinion that the product is good. In a laptop you aren't going to be doing that much tweaking anyway, so you don't really lose anything in that department.

Well, it's starting to get to the point, where Kevin and I are getting impatient, waiting for the other to get off the computer, so we can use it, and we have no room in our apartment, to have two desktops. Our ideal set up is to get a new desktop and laptop, but desktops are much more than laptops, so I thought I'd get the laptop out of the way, and let Kevin nurse the old desktop >.>

I'm surprised you had so many problems with that macbook. Did you not have any warranty or anything? I heard Apple products have really good customer service and support?

Argh, all you guys seem really keen on non-Macs, so now I'm confused again.

Do not get a HP Laptop. I'm trying to fix mine right now and it's a pain in the ass.

If you knew a lot about computers you can skip out on buying an operating system by pirating it/hacking it. But...

You probably should buy a laptop while they're on sale.

Or get a desktop and rest the monitor atop the tower. That'll save space ;)

Right now I'm doing some upgrades for my computer for around $200. Adding in another 500gB hard drive, changing the Mobo and getting a sound card.