johnny

Do You Tweet?

I just joined Twitter the other day, but not because I want the high-tech alternative of taking a microphone and shouting out my front door. I joined just to follow some people and news sources, which is working rather nicely - I don't spend as much time wasting my time during the day anymore hopping from site to site and getting distracted. We'll see how it goes from here though, who knows where this might end up.

That said, is anyone else on it? Or thoughts in general?

i love that you have it for your bunnies too.

i don't have it 'cause no one would care and my phone isn't high-tech

They are deserving of it. They are cute and crafty. They managed to somehow unlatch their cage yesterday and run around. At 5:30am.

Tweeting is fairly useless if you've got facebook. It is good for seeing what certain celebritys think on matters/are doing/are planning to do though.

I agree to a point. I do like twitter for follow celebs and some friends and stuff, but I mostly use facebook for messaging, not statuses, because Facebook is a poorly designed piece of shit website.

i do have a twitter account. i like it as an alternative to facebook, because it's a bit more concerned with the why and the how as opposed to just what. the emphasis is on what you're saying, as opposed to what you look like. yes, it allows you to follow celebrities, but the potential to actually converse with people you've never met is what really appeals to me. that's something that facebook has failed on, on multiple accounts. why am i friends with people who dont' even talk to me? meanwhile, on twitter, i'm participating in discussions with some of my favourite music critics, which is an opportunity i would not have had otherwise. there's something about twitter that is very honest and non-hierarchical that way.

all that said, not everything about twitter is so honourable and lovely. some people just retweet the trending topics and that's all they do. all the time. so there's still that element of seeing things at a very surface level. there are also those individuals who just report on what they ate and what store they're in at the moment, but that's not really twitter's fault. people are going to be empty, uninteresting and vacuous regardless of whatever technology they're using to announce it to the world. don't blame twitter, blame democracy.

Edited by borntohula

i do have a twitter account. i like it as an alternative to facebook, because it's a bit more concerned with the why and the how as opposed to just what. the emphasis is on what you're saying, ...there's something about twitter that is very honest and non-hierarchical that way.

all that said, not everything about twitter is so honourable and lovely. some people just retweet the trending topics and that's all they do. all the time. so there's still that element of seeing things at a very surface level. there are also those individuals who just report on what they ate and what store they're in at the moment, but that's not really twitter's fault. people are going to be empty, uninteresting and vacuous regardless of whatever technology they're using to announce it to the world. don't blame twitter, blame democracy.

Indeed, but I expected it.

Anyone use HootSuite? It's a pretty handy application, you can make your own lists of feeds to follow and track tweets containing search words. For example, from my @mattgood list:

Shooting a short independent film on the weekend, should be fun! Also got news that I will be a part of the next @mattgood music video!

From a Sammy Osman (sammyosman), anyone know what that's about? Great Whales of the Sea maybe?

twitter feels a bit useless to me right now because i don't follow it 24/7. so i miss out on much of the immediacy and find myself playing more catch up than really experiencing things "in the moment." if i had it on my cell phone, or something like that, i can see how it would be really cool and maybe even helpful. but i check my account once a day, and i'd say that doing that is barely enough to keep up with it all.

Twitter is a free social networking and micro-blogging service that enables its users to send and read messages known as tweets. Tweets are text-based posts of up to 140 characters displayed on the author's profile page and delivered to the author's subscribers who are known as followers. Senders can restrict delivery to those in their circle of friends or, by default, allow open access. Users can send and receive tweets via the Twitter website, Short Message Service (SMS) or external applications. While the service itself costs nothing to use, accessing it through SMS may incur phone service provider fees.

The 140-character limit on message length was initially set for compatibility with SMS messaging, and has brought to the web the kind of shorthand notation and slang commonly used in SMS messages. The 140 character limit has also spurred the usage of URL shortening services such as tinyurl, bit.ly and tr.im, and content hosting services, such as Twitpic and NotePub to accommodate multimedia content and text longer than 140 characters.

Since its creation in 2006 by Jack Dorsey, Twitter has gained notability and popularity worldwide. It is sometimes described as the "SMS of the Internet"[3] since the use of Twitter's application programming interface for sending and receiving short text messages by other applications often eclipses the direct use of Twitter.

What we have to do is deliver to people the best and freshest most relevant information possible. We think of Twitter as it's not a social network, but it's an information network. It tells people what they care about as it is happening in the world.

he is too dramatic for his own good. thats why i don't care about him. and i guess thats why people read his twitter. who will be the next person that does next to nothing that pisses matt off, forcing him to close some account and redesign his website and have user accounts but then take them away but them bring them back with special rules? so much work to keep up with so much rewardless drama.