theboywhoexploded

Matthew Good Mixtape

I'm currently studying abroad and one of the guys in my building is from Toronto and loves all these singer/songwriters and I ask if he likes Matt Good and he said he doesn't really have an opinion. In short, he's heard Load Me Up/Hello Time Bomb but even those songs he's fairly unfamiliar with.

I love turning people on to new music, especially when Matt should be right up this dude's musical alley. If you had to make a mix of 12-15 songs from Matt to help get someone into the water, what would you pick? I'm not sure whether to simply tell him to get In A Coma, get Avalanche, or get him a mix of my favourites and hits?

Any suggestions on what you would include?

Well I guess since you say he's more into singer/songwriter stuff, I would focus on that aspect of MG's work...though really most of what he does even if it includes roaring guitars and/or string sections, is singer/songwriter stuff...hmmm

Prime Time Deliverance

Avalanche

Apparitions

Suburbia

Born Losers

Strange Days

A Single Explosion

Metal Airplanes

On Nights Like Tonight

House Of Smoke And Mirrors

She's Got A New Disguise

A Silent Army In The Trees

The Fine Art Of Falling Apart

Running For Home

Sort Of A Protest Song

Of course I could put a ton more, Blue Skies, Change Of Season, The Boy Come Home etc.

a mixtape of just the solo material?

1. Avalanche

2. A Single Explosion

3. We're So Heavy

4. Odette

5. Great Whales of the Sea

6. While We Were Hunting Rabbits

7. Little Terror

8. Born Losers

9. Volcanoes

10. Buffalo Seven

11. The Boy Come Home

12. Near Fantastica

13. Empty's Theme Park

14. Champions of Nothing

15. House of Smoke & Mirrors

16. True Love Will Find You In the End

it's too hard. completley different next time i think about this.

Edited by here is no why

I did the same thing for a friend, but I burnt her 2 CDs. One of the solo stuff, one of MGB. She ended up loving his stuff, and came to his concert with me in Saskatoon.

For one CD it would be harder. Here's what I would recommend:

Giant

Last Parade

Fated

Avalanche

Weapon

The Inescapable Us

Sort of a Protest Song

Empty Road

Omission of the Omen

Born Losers

Running for Home

Great Whales of the Sea

Change of Season

Everyone will recommend something different though. And if I rewrote this list tomorrow, it would be at least 50% different! It's too hard!

Sticking with the solo stuff:

Weapon

Avalanche

21st Century Living

While We Were Hunting Rabbits

Can't Get Shot In The Back

A Single Explosion

Born Losers

I'm A Window

Vancouver National Anthem

Empty's Theme Park

Empty Road

North American For Life

It's Been Awhile Since I Was Your Man

Ex-Pats of the Blue Mountain Symphony Orchestra

I think it kinda encompasses a bit of everything from Matt, although I could just recommend all of Avalanche and then he could take it from there.

Johnny I dig your list, great choices. I would agree except for a couple replacements (don't really care much for I'm a Window, or North American 4 Lyfe)

Weapon

Avalanche

21st Century Living

While We Were Hunting Rabbits

Can't Get Shot In The Back

A Single Explosion

Born Losers

She’s in it for the Money

Vancouver National Anthem

Empty's Theme Park

Empty Road

We’re So Heavy

It's Been Awhile Since I Was Your Man

Ex-Pats of the Blue Mountain Symphony Orchestra

*edit I spelled Johnny's name wrong

Edited by c0micb0y

Thanks for all the replies. Devil on Rollerskates, I'm really liking your list. The reason this mixtape idea came up at all is because he heard Fine Art of Falling Apart in my room one day and he asked who it was, and comment on how great the guy's voice was.

Whatever my final track listing is, I'll be sure to post it. Also, I noticed johnny posted "Can't Get Shot In The Back"... where do I find the studio recording of that? I can only find the demo or a poor website rip from the Hospital Music stream back in the day? Is it available on iTunes as a single track?

EDIT: Nevermind, saw it in the store ;)

Edited by theboywhoexploded

Thanks guys; I didn't really get into Can't Get Shot.. until about 2 weeks ago (finally made NF Fanatic status) and got the track. I've only listened to it a handful of times but it's just stuck with me ever since.

@Comicboy; I used to like NAFL a lot more a while back but I've been listening to it a lot less lately. I was just trying to keep in mind the different sounds Matt has made his own over the years - for a newbie it's a bit overwhelming to have a catalogue like this to wade through.

As for I'm A Window, it's a personal favourite from HM. But I was close to throwing We're So Heavy in there, and now that you mention She's In It For The Money that's a good one too. Nice picks ;)

1. A Silent Army In The Trees

2. Oh Be Joyful

3. Avalanche

4. A Single Explosion

5. Weapon

6. Put Out Your Lights

7. The Vancouver National Anthem.

8. Life Beyond The Minimum Safe Distance

9. I'm A Window

10. Near Fantastica.

just threw this all together now. if i had more time, i'd probably do a better job with it, but there's my take.

1. Giant

2. Apparitions

3. Weapon

4. Avalanche

5. Bright End of Nowhere

6. The Rat Who Would Be King

7. Under The Influence

8. Sort of a Protest Song

9. Single Explosion

10. Volcanoes

11. Near Fantastica

12. It's Been Awhile Since I Was Your Man

13. Buffalo Seven

14. Failing the Rorschach Test

15. Empty's Theme Park

I didn't start listening to Matthew Good until just after the release of Avalanche. My friend made me an mp3 cd of his entire catalog and most of the songs I've included here are the songs that first hooked me in.

edit: Don't worry, I went out and bought the cds after anyways

Edited by rebellious_L

I'd probably go with a smaller list at first with some of the best ones (maybe 7 or 8)..that should turn them onto Matt enough that they'll start to look into even more themselves. That's usually how I get into listening to a new band.

Maybe something like this... (although it's going to change in about an hour for me..but this list seems to work pretty well when it comes to good song-writing).

Avalanche

Sort of a Protest Song

House of Smoke and Mirrors

Weapon

Last Parade

We're So Heavy

Strange Days

Running for Home

Other = friend.

I thought about doing that.. but meh. ;)

I've never actually done a mixtape, I guess I missed out on that generation. I used to burn mix cd's for folks at school way back when cd-burners were still expensive, but that went out the door pretty quick.

Edited by johnny

I've never actually done a mixtape, I guess I missed out on that generation. I used to burn mix cd's for folks at school way back when cd-burners were still expensive, but that went out the door pretty quick.

I used to record songs off the radio when I was a kid. I still burn mix CDs for my girlfriend.

Other = friend.

Yup.

Hahah..i remember doing that, waiting for the song to come on and get it recorded perfectly.

Long after I stopped taping songs off the radio, I still continued to record the Rock Radio Network World Album Premiere shows well into the 90s. I'm sure I've still got the tapes somewhere with some of 'em like:

Roger Waters - Amused to Death

Peter Gabriel - Us

Tragically Hip - Day For Night, and Trouble At the Hen House

Too bad they stopped doing that.