uglyredhonda

2010 Us Tour

Extremely excited for the show in Arlington, VA tomorrow. Still trying to rally some friends to "trek" across the Potomac with me for the gig (people seem to forgot that places exist outside of DC) but I'm sure it will be a fantastic evening regardless. Anyone else from The Bored coming out?

I really hope the person who recorded the acoustic show Matt did at Iota a few years back tackles this one as well. That recording was fantastic and I'd love to be able to relive whatever Matt has in store for us tomorrow.

I'm late to the Buffalo talks...but he was just awesome. I thought he would play more off of Vancouver, but whatever....it was great to hear Weapon live again. I also missed his banter.

We got to meet him after the show...just got his autograph, no pictures or anything like that. He was really nice.

My only complaint was the opening band - girl's got a good voice, not very classy though; and she wanted people to join her in singing or talking to her, but none of us could understand anything she was saying - unless she was singing super loud. It was like she was mumbling. Every song kinda sounded the same too.

I would like to add that some woman on the floor brought a tambourine, and kept shaking it during the songs. I don't know how the people around her put up with it - it was driving us nuts, and we were on the next level. Can we say, "Attention Whore"? Ridiculous!

I already had my picture taken with him once...and after that I thought about all the people lined up to take pictures and how he just has to sit there and look at the camera and take like maybe 100 pictures sometimes...it's kinda weird and I feel weird doing it now. After I saw Penn & Teller last year when I went to have my picture taken with Penn I just thought about all the people waiting to have their pictures taken like he's just some prop. I dunno. He's a really nice guy though, as is Matt, and they embrace it so maybe I shouldn't worry about that.

But I guess the point I'm getting to is next time I meet Matt I definitely will not be worrying about getting a picture. I'd like him to sign something though...probably Hospital Music.

Edited by Gomo

really late about the Cleveland Show (3/26)...I thought someone would have already posted something, but I'll give it a shot...

setlist (not in order, as I have, at this point, mixed it all up)

boy who could expolde (was the first song)

load me up

great whales

silent army

volcanoes

born losers

black helicopter

apparitions

weapon (ended the set)

encore:

giant

hello time bomb (I could see the setlist and empty's theme park had been listed)

can anyone back me up on all of this?

This show flew by for me. Not a lot of banter, however, some of the crowd was feisty--someone in the middle of the venue continuously shouted for 'Huuuuuuuuuunting Raaaaaaaaaaaabbits' to which Matt finally responded 'yeah that's not going to happen'. It was annoying. There were some other random things yelled out and if he has to deal with that at every show, I can see where he might not want to tour much. Overall, the set was great, a lot of energy, and Matt? Sounded fantastic.

I am assuming from the previous things said that if I ask him to autograph one of my CD booklets he won't make it seem like a burden? He's a cool guy with that?

I'd love to get a picture but I fear that may be going too far...I don't want to be a pain in the ass to him.

He's a very nice guy. Don't worry about asking him to sign things. I got about four different pictures of him with me and my wife. I took pictures for other people as well. He didn't act burned by it at all and was a very nice guy about it. Go ahead and say hi to him. Nothing to be afraid of.

They'll also likely have pre-signed Vancouver CDs and whatnot there for purchase as they did in LA. Probably might get in on that since I only have an iTunes copy

Oh nice, I forgot about this. He's selling them for 15 bucks correct? I got the impression there are no Vinyls for sale, can anyone confirm?

Also, for anyone who has been to the venue tonight (Iota) how early should I get there? I hear it's a rather small space and while I'm not too concerned about a sellout, I would like to get a decent spot.

when I first heard Matt was playing concerts in the deep south, I was afraid this would happen to Matt and his band. you can see how much the band just doesn't want to be there.

sounds like Matt is having a good time. ;)

For those interested Granda Theater posted two vids and some pictures from the Dallas, Texas show.

I still need to get my vids up lol...

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=granad.../16/a_h4fZTIKAg

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=granad.../15/xT733GbZIJA

http://www.flickr.com/photos/billellisonph...57623547042083/

Warning - gratuitous back-patting alert.

Weapon was played tonight at IOTA for the second time ever.

I played it the first time.

hoozaaaaaa

Video being posted to youtube right now. Tags are "Matthew Good Iota Single Spark Explosion Arlington VA"

Right after this song Matt asked for the stage lights to be turned off except for the Christmas lights above. This, of course, yielded terrible video for the rest of the show. Nothing else will be uploaded.

http://www.youtube.com/kbernardp

Deep Six Intro??? That would be amazing.

Don't get too excited. It was in response to people yelling out for 29382932 different songs during a break between tunes. He laughed and made his "why don't I just bend over so you can stick a quarter up my ass" crack before a few people called out for Deep Six in unison. He then stated that when you write as many songs as he has, you start to forget most of them. In reference to Deep Six, "I don't even think I know what the fourth word is..." before fucking around on his acoustic until he figured out the chords for the intro. Played it and the crowd sang the "Deep Six, Come to bare... Good night and take care" portion before he started laughing and stopped. The guitarist mockingly clapped for him and Matt said "See how easy it is? Just fumble through a few shitty chords and people applaud. You hate me for that don't you?" gesturing toward the guitarist again. Quite funny to be sure, but hardly a tease of things to come.

Nice I have all of "The Future is X-Rated" on tape along with the last bit of Great Whales. I'll post them a bit later.

Overall, I though it was a fantastic show. Much better than the set I saw Matt play in Montreal right before WLRRR came out. The only song that missed the mark for me was Empty's Theme Park. I like the album version a lot but the live rendition just seems off on a lot of levels. They seem to be going for more of a laid back, borderline country vibe until the solos hit and it didn't mesh for me. My friend who had never heard the song before cited it as their least favorite as well. "True Love Will Find You In The End" wasn't on the setlist but Matt obliged our pretty intense "ONE MORE SONG!" chant.

Everything else was great though. Matt was chatty (which apparently has been pretty rare this tour) and seemed in really good spirits. He rambled about the guitarists hot cousin and how he has her send facebook messages pretending to be into Matt to piss him off. Talked about the history of Arlington Cemetery (built on the site of Robert E. Lee's house), enlightened the audience to the wonders of Hendrix gin before asking if guys still use ___ (gin?) and lemon juice to try and get laid, reminisced about his last show at the venue ("Am I crazy or was their not a wall here last tight?"... he's crazy, "I played the first half of this song for you the last time I was here... so I'll just play the second for you now" joking in reference to Silent Army in the Trees) along with an extended "drinking interlude" in which the bass player and drummer both busted into a hokey bit of intermission jazz. His rant about "rock years" was pretty amusing as well, saying that they're essentially 142 in rock years, so they don't get groupies anymore. Then made some off color remark that he followed up with a self-mocking "BUT HE'S SO PC ON HIS WEBSITE!" haha.

And in what might be a first for the US tour, the show sold out right around doors time. My friend and I were literally the last two allowed in -- just hearing that probably took a few years off my life as I had just barely caught the metro and decided to skip the ATM enroute. Iota is a pretty small venue, but I have to think that Matt actually made some bank off this show. If (big if) they make it back this way again, he should definitely consider playing Black Cat in DC. Seems like

he could do good business there. Crowd was good considering the amount of alcohol being passed around. No annoying people screaming for Rico or anything of that nature. What did annoy me a bit were the amount of people just posted up front starring at Matt. Not everyone has to jump, clap, etc but it's just weird to see people at a show like this not move or sing along for an entire set. Matt hasn't done a full fledge tour of the states in nearly a decade... get into it.

After all was said and done, I wound up getting a set list and having the band sign it. Unfortunately Matt stayed on the bus, with their assistant indicating that he wanted to come out by the tour manager said their were liability concerns due to how the bus was parked (ummm... what?). The rest of the guys hung out at the bar though and were extremely gracious and very cool to talk to. Great night -- Couldn't have asked for much more.