uglyredhonda

2010 Us Tour

Last night's show in San Francisco was overwhelming. He was at the top of his from, and the band just killed! The set was (not sure if the order is exactly right):

The Boy Who Could Explode

Hello Time Bomb

Great Whales Of The Sea

I'm A Window

Born Losers

Volcanoes

Apparitions

A Silent Army In The Trees

Fought To Fight It

Weapon

Empty's Theme Park

Giant

True Love Will Find You In The End

Definitely a great show. Now I feel like I have to go see him with the band up in Canada to get a 'full length' show. Last night was great, but short.

Boy Who Could Explode

Hello Timebomb

Great Whales of the Sea

Volcanoes

Born Losers

I'm a Window

Silent Army in the Trees

Apparitions

Weapon

----------

Giant

Fought to Fight It

Empty's Theme Park

True Love Will Find You in the End

Matt screwed up some lyrics to Timebomb and joked about it saying that he always forgets the words to the songs that are a 'decade old,' not the new ones. Also mentioned that with everyone sitting down in the small venue that maybe they should've started with 'Nights Like Tonight -> Avalanche instead of coming out with 2 rockers.

After I'm a Window the band went into a little jazz improv thing - pretty funny. Apparitions was a really cool arrangement with some nice lap steel slide guitar. Matt busted his low E string on his sunburst 335 in the middle of Giant and switched to the red 335. Tons of energy the whole night and everyone sounded great. During the encore someone yelled 'Sidney Crosby is a pussy' or something to that effect and Matt very calmly explained that he'd probably take Crosby over Gretzky because there were enforcers back in Wayne's day and how Sidney will take a hit and then give it right back and score on you. How Crosby is a 'Rocket Richard type player.' Then made a couple quips about how much the Olympics ended up costing Vancouver, the US war budget, etc.

Fought to Fight It and True Love Will Find You In The End were not on the setlist.

Again, really great show...just wish it were a few songs longer.

Sounds like you both saw a really good show last night... nice looking encore. You aren't going to get much better in Canada, most of Matt's sets on the last Canadian tour were 15-17 songs, you got 13 so that's pretty good. You wouldn't get a nice small venue in Canada either.

Edited by Curtster

Trufflepigs I will buy the ticket from you if you still have. I will be flying in from Phoenix. Flight gets into Burbank airport around 5. Hope I can find an easy way to get to Hollywood from there.

[hide_me]You can text or call me at 602-692-5203.[/hide_me]

Andrew

Last night's show in San Francisco was overwhelming. He was at the top of his from, and the band just killed! The set was (not sure if the order is exactly right):

The Boy Who Could Explode

Hello Time Bomb

Great Whales Of The Sea

I'm A Window

Born Losers

Volcanoes

Apparitions

A Silent Army In The Trees

Fought To Fight It

Weapon

Empty's Theme Park

Giant

True Love Will Find You In The End

Swap out either Volcanoes or FTFI with Last Parade and I think this is a perfect setlist! Throwing in I'm A Window kicks ass too.

Empty's was definitely in the SF encore, my drag along liked it so it came up later.

The set was pretty awesome, I would rate it pretty high in my MG concerts. Small venue felt really personal. Always are a few songs I wish he had played, and lately a few songs that just don't do if for me. I think if he would have come out with Nights and Avalanche that would have been even more awesome... Avalanche is one of favourite tracks.

Just got in from LA, trying to recall the setlist, definitely not in any order:

Boy Who Could Explode

Great Whales

Fought

Avalanche

Apparitions

Load Me Up

Timebomb

Weapon

Nights Like Tonight

Empty's

Giant

True Love

Born Losers

I'm sure someone will correct me with the order and perhaps any exclusions.....

Great show, great energy. Maybe 200 people? They played longer than the setlist would lead you to believe, maybe a bit over 90 min? I forgot to look at my watch. Busted guitar strings and cymbals a couple times.

I managed to get an HD vid of Great Whales, but the video police came along and shut us all down by the 4th song. I'll youtube it ASAP. Not what I expected, the venue never stopped the recording when The Hip was there last fall. Maybe Matt still prefers no video? I was under the impression he lets that slide more now...

Other happenings:

Some dude made an ethnic slur about Vancouver's large asian population, Matt didn't like that much. Asked him if he was going to his k k k meeting afterwards.***

Lots of people asked him about his eye. It got to be a bit weird with respect to that. He's OK if you're wondering.

Some girl jumped on stage in the last verse of Empty (one of the extended encores) and her BF took a pic. Matt looked a little annoyed as he had to stop mid verse, but he let it slide and the bouncers followed his lead on that.

Sorry for the rather disjoint post. Just drove in from LA and I'm a little wiped.

***interstingly, if you do not space the letters k k k you get this emoticon----> ;), hence the edit.

Edited by -=DrDave=-

There's a billion videos of Matthew Good on youtube from the last few tours. Has he actually said something about cameras? I missed it if he did.

Also...the heck? That sounds like a bunch of dumb shit that could happen at a show. I'd be annoyed if all that stuff happened (some guy yelling out, girl being dumb and jumping on stage, etc.)

Edited by Gomo

LA set in order:

Nights Like Tonight

Avalanche

Whales

Load me up (Love Will Tear Us Apart)

Boy Who Could Explode

Born Losers

Fought to Fight It

Apparitions

Weapon

Giant

Timebomb

empty's Theme park (cue crazy girl getting on stage and hugging him, very

Another thing to mention, the opening act, Automatic Loveletter, was really great.

For those who don't know, it's a chick with an acoustic and a couple guys on backup bass and guitar and that's it. And this girl has a HUGE voice. Very, very talented. Songs seemed all about being jaded from bad relationships, except for the one about being crazy in love again, but it really didn't detract at all. First time I have seen or heard them and I am looking forward to them opening here in SD on Monday...

Whoa wait, she hugged him?

Yeah, climbed up, stood on his left behind the neck of his guitar, wrapped both her arms around him and nearly buried her face in his armpit while her BF took a pic. You should have seen his face it was one of those annoyed "for the love of God" kind of fake smiles.

Bouncer came lumbering out from side stage, but she was down and Matt was back at it before he could get there, they just let her stay up front and think like she won the bloody lottery. Just really weird behaviour in general...

LA set in order:

Nights Like Tonight

Avalanche

Whales

Boy Who Could Explode

Born Losers

Fought to Fight It

Apparitions

Weapon

Giant

Timebomb

Edited by -=DrDave=-

Other happenings:

Some dude made an ethnic slur about Vancouver's large asian population, Matt didn't like that much. Asked him if he was going to his k k k meeting afterwards.***

Lots of people asked him about his eye. It got to be a bit weird with respect to that. He's OK if you're wondering.

MG is a stand up guy ;).

What happened to his eye anyway? I didn't hear anything about this.

MG is a stand up guy ;).

What happened to his eye anyway? I didn't hear anything about this.

Yeah, the dude thought he'd be funny using that slang name that combines Vancouver and Hong Kong. Matt made him feel like a total prick. I would have probably left after that if I were him.

Matt posted something on his website yesterday about his eye. He has sarcoidosis, and occasionally gets flareups where one symptoms is blurred and obscure vision in one or both eyes. He went to an opthomologist in LA and got some meds for it, he'll be fine. People asked him how he was doing 3 or 4 times last night. After a while he was like, don;t worry, I'm fine. It was a really weird that so many people were commenting to him about it.

I think it would be cool if he wore a patch over his eye for the SD show. Just to screw with everyone. Hahah

LA set in order:

Nights Like Tonight

Avalanche

Whales

Boy Who Could Explode

Born Losers

Fought to Fight It

Apparitions

Weapon

Giant

Timebomb

I saw the Seattle #1 setlist on Flickr.. it's missing two songs, Last Parade was the first song of the encore and Load Me Up was played between Born Losers and Apparitions

I added load me up on my edit post. He didn't play last parade, the person commented that underneath the picture you saw.

So I've been waiting to see Matt in concert for well over a decade. For whatever reason, I've never been able to make it to a show before. I have tickets to the Cleveland show, but am debating not going because it's a 500 mile drive up from Tennessee. I'll regret it if I don't go, won't I?

Absolutely.

/discussion ;)

In all seriousness, if it is within your means to make the trip, you will be so happy you did. Seeing Matt's live show is something I will travel for without hesitation. I'm even contemplating driving to Phoenix for the next show after tonight...

Dr. Dave, if you come to the Phoenix show and need a place to stay You are welcome to crash at my place. Anyone else from the board going to the Phoenix show? My friend Kimm who used to be on one of the older boards is going. I like seeing shows at the venue Matt is playing here.