uglyredhonda

2010 Us Tour

Just got home from the Buffalo show.

Setlist (in correct order)

Giant

X-Rated

Great Whales

Time Bomb

Load Me Up (Matt said it was suppose to be on the setlist, but never made it in)

Born Losers

I'm A Window

Odette

Apparitions

Weapon

Single Explosion

Last Parade

Champions of Nothing

Only 2 songs from Vancouver, and very surprised at the 4 played from Beautiful Midnight. Not much banter at all.

I'd love to see Matt this tour in Cambridge but because I have to travel from outside of town and have no car, the whole trip would cost me a lot of money. I'm generally more a fan of his ballads and acoustic performances instead of non-AOB MGB stuff...should I wait around for him to do another US acoustic tour? Is there even any likelihood of that within the next few years?

I'm very excited for Wednesday night.

I have to confess though...I'm still a bit disappointed with finding out I'm driving all afternoon to see him play an hour show. I'm not complaining because it's great to finally be able to see the show? But an hour? 10-13 songs? That's pretty lame. I hope I'm not disappointed.

Well...knowing that he plays for the same amount of time in Canada makes me a feel a bit better. I was reading previous reviews and have seen bootlegs where he was said to play like 20 songs. Needless to say, I was feeling a bit screwed over with like 60% of that. So thanks for letting me know that.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful and I know I can't compare Apples to Oranges. I have the utmost respect for Matthew Good as a musical artist. He stands among the greats in my mind. I saw the Eagles play in 2007 and they played for seriously...3 hours and 15 minutes. I realize Matthew Good isn't The Eagles but...these guys are in their late 50s and 60s and they can play that long. And all we get is an hour? I used to be a big Everclear fan back in the day and after I saw their show (they only played like an hour and ten minutes) I never liked them as much. I am hoping that doesn't happen here.

He played for about an hour and a half last night in Buffalo, maybe a bit under but still for that time he was going nuts. He had tons of energy and seemed to enjoy himself. That was my take on it.

Crowd was good sized but seemed to want to talk more than listen, quite annoying.

I'll say it again: quality over quantity. Plus, he's not sick, and is enjoying the tour. That equals a great show. I'm driving 5 hours for a hour show, and I ain't complaining. Last time he did a tour of the states was in 2008, and it was acoustic. Prior to that, it was 2001. He'll tour down here again I'm sure, but certainly not till after the next record is released. So at least another two years.

Anyone know about what time soundchecks usually take place? It supposed to be gorgeous in NYC on Friday, I'm heading in early to spend the day. Figured I'd see if I can at least hear the soundcheck from outside Bowery. If not hell, Washington Square Park isn't too far, there's always some great music going on there.

I'm very excited for Wednesday night.

I have to confess though...I'm still a bit disappointed with finding out I'm driving all afternoon to see him play an hour show. I'm not complaining because it's great to finally be able to see the show? But an hour? 10-13 songs? That's pretty lame. I hope I'm not disappointed.

Matt came on at about 9:45 in Buffalo, and the set ended about 10:55 or so, and then there was the encore, and I believe I left the venue at about 11:15. I once again got to see my favorite artist play a concert, and I for one thought the show rocked. Without the banter in between the songs like normal the show may have a been a little longer. If you feel like you are going to get cheated, sell your ticket to a more willing fan.

I realize Matthew Good isn't The Eagles but...these guys are in their late 50s and 60s and they can play that long. And all we get is an hour? I used to be a big Everclear fan back in the day and after I saw their show (they only played like an hour and ten minutes) I never liked them as much. I am hoping that doesn't happen here.

You can say that you know it's apples and oranges, but you're still comparing them anyway.

Why are you pushing so hard to set yourself up to be disappointed? If you're that pessimistic about it, don't go. You won't be disappointed by the show because you won't see it.

Seriously, when Matthew Good is big enough to tour arenas and charge $90 a ticket, he's going to play for two-and-a-half hours. Until then, you're going to get a shorter show.

I know Everclear. If you saw them on their 2001 tour, they played for two- or two-and-a-half hours. But that was only in bigger venues. In clubs, even during the same tour, they didn't play that long.

And, anyway, if you're paying to see Everclear now, you're only going to be disappointed, and not because of the show length. Art's voice has never been the same since he had vocal cord surgery in 1999 - he has good nights and bad nights, and the bad nights are terrible. (Their peak greatness was in 1997, when they were truly one of the best bands on the planet. Their last tour with the original lineup in 2003 was sad and awful, and it's been only marginally better since.)

Edited by uglyredhonda

It's funny you mention Everclear. I saw them at Roseland Ballroom in NYC back in 1999, a smallish venue, and then again a few years later (2001 I think) at Madison Square Garden. I definitely preferred the smaller show. 1 hour to an hour and a half in a smaller venue is, in my opinion, infinitely better than 2+ hours in a big venue.

I'll take everyone's word on it. I'm still psyched for the show.

Sidenote: I saw Everclear twice (and Art solo once). I didn't notice any poor vocals any of the 3 times. I must have caught him on 3 good nights. It's a shame they've become sorta lame. Songs From an American Movie, 1 & 2 were both really strong albums IMO.

I was lucky to catch Everclear in small clubs back in 1995 and 1997, and both were unreal. The first one in particular - it was sold out and the crowd was completely freaking out. They extended their 75 minute set to 85 minutes because the crowd was going so ballistic.

I would definitely take quality over quantity. The only bands who should go two hours are the ones who can sustain it for the entire length. Nearly all of my favorite all-time shows were in clubs.

The best cheap club show I ever saw was Mike Watt's tour in 1995. He had Dave Grohl and Will Goldsmith on drums, Eddie Vedder and Pat Smear on guitar. Foo Fighters opened (it was their first tour). Ticket price: $6. It was unbelievable. (And, yep, Mike Watt played about an hour.)

And just to keep from getting too far off the topic - when I went to see Matt in Charlotte on New Year's, my expectations were 75 to 90 minutes, and I got an hour, which was a bit of a disappointment. But the ticket price was half of what I paid for the Massey Hall show two weeks prior, and it was a fantastic hour. Plus, I had the chance to videotape several songs (which I couldn't really do at Massey, save for "Fake Empire") - every time I watch them, it makes me that much happier that I went.

I'd love to see Matt this tour in Cambridge but because I have to travel from outside of town and have no car, the whole trip would cost me a lot of money. I'm generally more a fan of his ballads and acoustic performances instead of non-AOB MGB stuff...should I wait around for him to do another US acoustic tour? Is there even any likelihood of that within the next few years?

I'd look at the current setlists and see if it's something you'd enjoy. If it is, I'd go. I can't imagine him doing another US tour like this - the combination of his pre-tour announcement that he wasn't making any money on this tour and his several blog comments of being home-sick. Touring the US is a long slog (and he's got another week to go).

Having said that, I could see him doing a much shorter US tour, hitting specific areas. But it's really hard to predict that. After missing Nirvana (who knew Kurt would be dead six months later?), I've always tried to hit whatever shows I really want to see if I can feasibly make it.

On the upside, if you're near Boston, you're only a six hour drive from Montreal. So if you miss this one, it's only a road trip (and a $20 passport card if you don't already have one) away.

Sidenote: I saw Everclear twice (and Art solo once). I didn't notice any poor vocals any of the 3 times. I must have caught him on 3 good nights. It's a shame they've become sorta lame. Songs From an American Movie, 1 & 2 were both really strong albums IMO.

I last saw them in 2007. It was a decent show - it was nice seeing them play songs that they didn't play before (eg, "Learning How to Smile", "White Men in Black Suits"). But it didn't have much energy, and the half-step tune-down makes everything seem sluggish. I probably won't see them again.

I definitely agree Audioofbeing. I saw them in Hershey, Pennsylvania on the Riot Act tour and they were great. It was about 3 hours of high intensity and quality.

I don't know if anyone here on the board is a fan, but Nine Inch Nails live (especially on the Lights in the Sky Tour) were amazing. I've seen them 3 times and they always played about two hours (or more) and it was intense the entire time..keyboards getting pushed over and smashed, guitars getting thrown in the air and crashing down on the stage...good, good, good stuff.