myburningbridges

Most Epic Concerts You've Had The Chance To Attend...

The most epic concert I've been to would have to be the foo fighters. They put on an incredible show. They really get involved with the audience. Halfway through Dave played an acoustic set that blasted back with the full band. Other than that I'd have to say alice cooper. Crazy stage show.

Guest Idioteque

I 100% agree about TOOL. They seem to be in it for the paycheck now. The fancy lights and screens seem to hide their flaws.

For the question though, its so hard to choose!

I can do top 5!

1.Matthew Good, I've been to pretty much all of his Lower Mainland shows for the past 4/5 years. Too many to count lol.

2.O'Brother.

3.Metallica, they filmed their movie "Through The Never" in Vancouver.

4.Foals.

5.Coheed & Cambria.

WORST shows Ive been to are:

Nine Inch Nails, just.. awful. Maybe it was just me.

The Smashing Pumpkins, they cancelled their show last minute & all they did was do 1 facebook status!!! No other comment on why, or an apology. It hurt because it was during Oceania & I absolutely love that album.

I saw We Were Promised Jetpacks in Toronto last month, and they were incredible. Usually, when you go to see a band at a small club, the sound is terrible. But they were clear and concise. Even seeing a band like Rise Against left a bad taste in my mouth, considering how horrible they sounded live.

Guest Idioteque

I've wanted to see "We Were Promised Jetpacks" for years. They never seem to come to the west coast though.

I'd love to get my records signed by them.

That's true, they don't seem to make it out that way, unless you travel down into the States. The last tour was in 2012, and I don't think they were out that way that time either.

If you like them, you'll love them live. My friend and I were blown away by the clean sound and performance. The Twilight Sad were the openers, and they sounded terrible by comparison. Well worth the two hour drive and no sleep.

Guest Idioteque

I wanted to see them down in Seattle but I dont have a passport (Never left B.C) or the funds this close to Christmas.

Slowly..regretting it...

I first heard them during a live stream of Coachella, no other band touched them that day.

Theyre posting photos of their crowds during this U.S run, sold out shows, impressive to see for a band from Scotland.

Their new album any good? I've yet to listen to it.

Edited by Idioteque

Honestly it would be An Evening With Our Lady Peace back in 2009 or 2010. The idea was that OLP would do 2 shows in each city. On one night they would play their 2nd album Clumsy in its entirely, and on the 2nd they would play their 4th album, Spiritual Machines. What made the shows incredible was that they were their own opening act. The first set was an entire album front to back (so 10-12 songs) and then after a 15 minute intermission they did an entire regular show of 15-20 songs from their other albums. I saw them in Regina and Saskatoon (only Clumsy shows in Saskatchewan, unfortunately), and it was one of the best weekends of my life. In Regina my brother caught a drumstick after the first set and I caught one after the second set. Then when I saw them in Saskatoon I managed to get backstage and get the entire band to sign both sticks and get some pictures with them. It was awesome and incredible. And despite what some people say about OLP (including Matthew Good back in the 90s), they put on an incredible live show full of a tonnes of energy.

Guest Idioteque

Wow, I couldn't imagine how exhausting that must have been for the band.

That's a tour that truly tests musicianship and especially fatigue. :P

That's awesome you got backstage and they were nice too, I would have also imagined they wouldn't be in the mood to talk or hang out and want to just sleep until the next show lol.

I personally like Our Lady Peace's music, because at the end of the day that's really what matters, the tunes.

Great story, if you ever find photos you should upload them.

I wish Matt would do a tour like that. It would be a hardcore fans dream show.

A new Spanish band (from the northeast) which sounds really good. They're called "October People" and they sing in English (with a very strong Spanish accent, though ;) ). 

They sound really good live:

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/los-conciertos-de-radio-3/conciertos-radio-3-october-people/2981798/

Hope you like them!

Guest Idioteque

I really need to start going to concerts again, I probably went to over 100 shows during 2013/2014.

Last year I went to 2, and this year I'm taking my dad to ACDC at BC Place & considering Slipknot in August.

Best concert Ive ever been to was probably Bruce Springsteen at Rogers Arena. Played for 3 hours, got the whole building moving and really looked like he was having fun out there. His performance of Racing In The Street was magical and probably the greatest single performance I ever got to see. But in terms of a pure show, ive seen KISS twice and both times they have blown me away. And best show for a lineup I got to see was Blink 182 with MCR,Rancid and Against Me.

I was going to see her at the Spaghetti Western Festival on Saturday, August 15, but it was cancelled due to heavy rain.

edit: Now, I see that she played The Palomino at 9 pm on August 15. Darn, I missed it. Maybe I will catch her show another time.

Edited by girl

Two of my favourite Bluesfest concerts in terms of showmanship were

1) RUSH for the Clockwork Angels tour, which I wanna say was 2012. Floating screens, and smoke and stuff. So cool.

2) Kanye this past summer. I'm actually really glad I got to go to that. People hate on Kanye, but the man puts on a great show. The light platform was a wicked set too. So cool.

I'll add as well, I got to attend the very small acoustic show for Matthew Good at Zaphods. The venue is very small and this was one of 2 all ages shows they did there. I lined up at I think 9am, and there were already people lined up. They only let in 50 people. It was fantastic. I think it was 2005? Cause I think I was in grade 9 at the time. The concert ended up coming to be because there was a Win-Your-Way-In concert at Capital Music Hall through The Bear, but it ended up being a win your way in for a bigger prize, and Matt Good wasn't happy about it because it meant people weren't necessarily trying to win because they wanted to see Matthew Good, but because they wanted whatever the other "bigger" prize was. That was probably one of my favourite concerts, if not my favourite concert I've ever been to.

Two of my favourite Bluesfest concerts in terms of showmanship were

1) RUSH for the Clockwork Angels tour, which I wanna say was 2012. Floating screens, and smoke and stuff. So cool.

That must have been a good concert. Floating screens? That's new. I wonder what that looks like. I went to RUSH's Snakes & Arrows Tour in 2007. I must say their visual media on the big screen was pretty impressive. It was creative and imaginative. A lot of thought and planning must have been put into it. I had partial hearing loss after that concert though. It was so loud. My ears were ringing. If I go to another RUSH concert, I will definitely bring the ear plugs.

Also, their drummer is AMAZING and worth checking out.

Guest Idioteque

Neil Peart is a god among men.

I HIGHLY recommend the Rush documentary & Neil's book “Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road” which is about him traveling across North America on a motorcycle trying to find himself again after the tragic deaths of his 19-year-old daughter Selena and wife Jackie, both of whom passed away within a 10-month period.

Personally I've always wanted to see Rush but not at the cost of being in an arena sitting very far away. When the time comes I'll definitely try and be as close as possible to view perfection.

But to stay on topic I just saw Modest Mouse on the weekend, pretty good live show. Sadly due to things happening earlier in the day I got turned off from wanting to be anywhere but in my room alone so I left right in the middle of the set.

I have ACDC on Tuesday & Matthew Good at the end of the week so HOPEFULLY all turns out well because I could write a god damn book on all the bad luck I've had this month alone.

Neil Peart is a god among men.

I HIGHLY recommend the Rush documentary & Neil's book “Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road” which is about him traveling across North America on a motorcycle trying to find himself again after the tragic deaths of his 19-year-old daughter Selena and wife Jackie, both of whom passed away within a 10-month period.

It sounds like you are describing the Joshua Jackson movie 'One Week'. I should watch that movie again. It has Gord Downie on it. Thanks for telling me about the documentary. I will definitely check it out. I like watching good quality, inspiring movies about people finding themselves (for example, 'Wild' with Reece Witherspoon and the French movie 'The Intouchables').

If you do see RUSH, I recommend finding a seat where you can see the stage well and have a good view of the big screens. They did the visual screens when I went, and the content was very interesting. I was on the floor when I saw them, and I had a pretty good view of everything.

Before, I was intrigued by Modest Mouse and thought about going to one of their concerts. I probably won't though, because I only like one of their songs. Sorry to hear about your concert. That sucks. It must have been something major to make you leave half way through.

I hope things look up for you and you have fun at the ACDC and Matt Good concert. If you ever need a person to vent to about this month or life in general, feel free to PM me.

Edited by girl

Top of my list:

1) mg - Solo Acoustic - Jackson Triggs Winery. Simply gorgeous venue, staff were super helpful and friendly. The weather was perfect, there was wine, we sat front and slightly off center 

after dinner in the wine cellar and got to watch mg do his thing and drink Pinot. Highlights for me were Avalanche, Primetime Deliverance and Fated. Runner up - acoustic at  

Antone's in Austin simply for having played both Rabbits and Suburbia.

Full Band - 2007 Club Infinity, Buffalo. 

2) The Walkmen at Fitzgerald's, Houston

3) Typhoon at One Eyed Jack's in New Orleans

4) Black Rebel Motorcycle Club at House of Blues Houston

5) Iron & Wine, Fitzgerald's Houston

6) Rebirth Brass Band at Warehouse Live, Houston and The Maple Leaf, New Orleans

Some of the best live music I've seen has been spontaneously in NOLA, usually bands or singers I've never heard or don't catch their names, and never would have run into them otherwise. 

I also have to agree that Foo Fighters put on a great show. I saw them at ACL in I think 2007 or 2008. I remember leaving the group I was with and getting into the middle of the crowd up front. I prefer to stick with smaller shows these days but a big festival every now and then is fun, though i just wind up feeling very old, and the sound is usually terrible. At that same ACL we saw MGMT and they sucked.

My favourite show of all time is probably Brand New at Kool Haus in Toronto, 2007. They did an epic encore featuring an extended version "Welcome to Bangkok" that featured the whole band, every guitar tech playing at once and ended with Jesse Lacey alone on stage, on his knees, furiously hitting a snare drum. 

Favourite Matt Good show is probably acoustic, live at Massey Hall 2007. He played over 20 songs and seemed half in the bag, which made for a great stand up routine.