myburningbridges

I gotta ask, why is everyone so excited about this movie? Is it just because it took a lot of time and money, or is it based on something I'm supposed to know about, or what? I mean...granted I've only seen the trailer once or twice on TV, but all I could think of was that the CGI must not be finished yet...

for me it's part hype, but also because James Cameron is an amazing director, and i just love sci-fi movies. Also, the whole deal that this movie supposdly uses 3-D really well is endearing because i am yet to be impressed by 3D, most of the time its used just because they can, but I've heard that this movie does it really well, and doesn't throw it in your face all the time

I gotta ask, why is everyone so excited about this movie? Is it just because it took a lot of time and money, or is it based on something I'm supposed to know about, or what? I mean...granted I've only seen the trailer once or twice on TV, but all I could think of was that the CGI must not be finished yet...

seems like all hype to me. it looks like what a furry movie would be if they ever made one. that or it's "second life: the move."

The previews have looked cool, and James Cameron is one of the best directors in the biz. But didn't know if the movie was just hype of not, so i looked it up on rottentomatoes.com and its been getting very good reviews. So far has an 82% rating on the site, and Ebert gives it a thumbs up lol: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/

What's the difference from seeing it in imax/3d vs regular?

I've done a bit of searching. I think there's 3 ways to see it:

1. On an IMAX screen in 3D

2. On a regular theater screen in 3D

3. On a regular screen, no 3D (just like any other movie).

The only difference is in the IMAX 3D is you get stuff popping out at you in 3D on a big IMAX screen. The running time is the same on all versions so no bonus content.

I've done a bit of searching. I think there's 3 ways to see it:

1. On an IMAX screen in 3D

2. On a regular theater screen in 3D

3. On a regular screen, no 3D (just like any other movie).

The only difference is in the IMAX 3D is you get stuff popping out at you in 3D on a big IMAX screen. The running time is the same on all versions so no bonus content.

I've only see dinosaurs on the imax and frankly it was really tough to see the whole screen and kinda left me unfulfilled. Plus it's like 2x as much...

I'm eager to see what some of you guys think first before I hunker down on going.

I've just returned from a midnight screening on IMAX 3D. I thought it was a very beautiful film visually. The colours are amazing, and the epic grandeur and scope of the shots really took you to Pandora. Cameron is a master of action sequences. Unlike Transformers, which I felt was a jumbled mess most of the time, each shot in this film is clear, and keeps you in the battles rather than forcing you to try and decipher what is going on. Most of the story is very predictable. It certainly isn't groundbreaking story-wise, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. It's a feast for the eyes, and awesome fun for anyone that enjoys science fiction and fantasy stories. I do believe it's the most "epic" film ever made. I'll wait for more discussion once some other folks have seen it. If you're on the fence, the visuals alone are worth the $15 to see it in 3D. It's incredibly immersive and fun to watch.

Edit: 3AM typos. I probably missed a few more. Oh well;D

Edit again: Just a note on the IMAX version: it doesn't take up the entire screen. It's a "letterboxed" IMAX.

Edited by Nearfantastica

According to Wikipedia the budget is $237 million. I know it's Wikipedia but no way was it $500 million.

And, so much hype for so little. This movie may overall be impressive visually or effects-wise but it can't be that quality of a movie. I don't think it will be awesome just because James Cameron, who I think is one of the best directors out there, directed it. It doesn't look like my kind of movie but I seriously don't think it could be that great.